Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vauxhall motors,what does the future hold ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
With Vauxhall not having returned a profit since 1999 and over capacity within Europe in car production the UK arm of this business must face an uncertain future ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

D

Deleted member 22389

I actually think they will be OK after 2020. The UK plant will offer something different. It's the jobs in the EU where the biggest cuts will come.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
depends if they can get their parts over from europe as cheap as now...if not and brexit goes badly, they will shut all the plants and move them to france etc

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Will take government subsidies to save it. Still we have the 350m a week slush fund, don't we?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Vauxhall will I fear disappear over the next few years as the French pull the plants back inside the EU with a new Peugeot/Opal combo name

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
With a huge proportion of the components being imported from what will be a separate trading block and a huge proportion of the finished products being exported back to that block, the future of the UK plants depends heavily on what sort of Brexit deal is struck and how much of the taxpayers' money the government is prepared to shovel into Peugeot Citroen.

The good news for the government is that the stuff won't really hit the fan until the early '20s, by which time the Brexit enthusiasts hope to have have fast-tracked the country out of the EU.

Brexit will be terrific for British workers though. If you listen to the propaganda.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Personally I'd be amazed if both plants are still open 10 years from now

Always easier to close foreign plants, and as we don't have any British owned volume manufacturers left, our plants will always be vulnerable

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
With a huge proportion of the components being imported from what will be a separate trading block and a huge proportion of the finished products being exported back to that block, the future of the UK plants depends heavily on what sort of Brexit deal is struck and how much of the taxpayers' money the government is prepared to shovel into Peugeot Citroen.

The good news for the government is that the stuff won't really hit the fan until the early '20s, by which time the Brexit enthusiasts hope to have have fast-tracked the country out of the EU.

Brexit will be terrific for British workers though. If you listen to the propaganda.

British car manufacturing was on its knees a couple of decades ago, today a flexible and productive workforce has turned the industry into a huge success story employing close to a million jobs.

If there are tariffs it will be a disaster for us and Europe knows it. Think we'll need to get out the chequebook

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This. And with the various finance deal, those who used to be Mondeo/Vectra man are now Audi/BMW man.

I see Vauxhall a a bit like Tesco a couple of years ago. Neither budget nor premium.

Although I drive a series 1 Beamer, I had a Astra on hire in Scotland recently and was very impressed. Decent sat nav, good power and very comfortable. If I can't afford another Beamer when retired, I would happily have an Astra ...it was the 1800diesel version and very pokey.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
British car manufacturing was on its knees a couple of decades ago, today a flexible and productive workforce has turned the industry into a huge success story employing close to a million jobs.

If there are tariffs it will be a disaster for us and Europe knows it. Think we'll need to get out the chequebook

There is a rumour doing the rounds that the offer the government made to Nissan was to reimburse any customs duty that the EC will impose on their cars being built in Sunderland and exported to continental Europe. If that turns out to be true ( and I can't see how else Nissan would have wanted to stay if duty would be applied) then I assume that is what the unions are getting at being offered to Peugeot. Trouble is every industry will ask for the same and how the hell we could afford that would be very interesting!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont get the logic of the deal, its one poor car manufacturer buying another poor car manufacturer, in the vain hope they will become a medicore one. as far as i can tell the idea is that they gain a larger market share and, importantly, get a peice of the two largest europe car markets where French cars are less popular. i dont know whether that means making 208s and whatever Citreon make in UK/German factories, trying to increase their appeal, while saving collectively on parts and component R&D. cant see the other way, as Vauxhall designs are mostly a face lift from the 90s model with little appeal. eitherway, i forsee the future for the UK factories is the same as yesturday, because if they close them they lose one of the few selling points of Vauxhall in UK.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
There is a rumour doing the rounds that the offer the government made to Nissan was to reimburse any customs duty that the EC will impose on their cars being built in Sunderland and exported to continental Europe. If that turns out to be true ( and I can't see how else Nissan would have wanted to stay if duty would be applied) then I assume that is what the unions are getting at being offered to Peugeot. Trouble is every industry will ask for the same and how the hell we could afford that would be very interesting!

Yes, but Viva the unions for trying!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here