Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT extends Champions League rights.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
BT Sport has extended its TV rights for the Champions League and Europa League until 2021 in a deal worth £1.2bn.

The company has been broadcasting Europe's elite club competitions since 2015 under the terms of an £897m deal agreed in 2013.

BT Sport, owned by Britain's biggest broadband and mobile operator BT, is a paid subscription service.
But it said it would make clips, weekly highlights, and both finals available to watch for free on social media.
The new deal gives BT Sport exclusivity across all live games and highlights for the first time - meaning there will be no weekly highlights shown on free-to-air broadcaster ITV.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
But it said it would make clips, weekly highlights, and both finals available to watch for free on social media.
The new deal gives BT Sport exclusivity across all live games and highlights for the first time - meaning there will be no weekly highlights shown on free-to-air broadcaster ITV.

Oh that's just great, okay if your on social media and have BT Sport, not so good if you're not on SM and have just Freeview :rant:5

kennyb

May 23, 2004
Personally i think this will lower the tv audience dramatically for CL games people will not pay extortionate prices for BT subscriptions anymore. I have absolutely no interesr in ultimately giving overpaid footballers at top c;lubs even more money through tv deals the game is bankrupting itself just sad really

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Personally i think this will lower the tv audience dramatically for CL games people will not pay extortionate prices for BT subscriptions anymore. I have absolutely no interesr in ultimately giving overpaid footballers at top c;lubs even more money through tv deals the game is bankrupting itself just sad really

You would think so, but the bean counters at BT HQ must have thought it was a price worth paying. Shame that terrestrial tv is losing access especially for the non computer literate viewers.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The Guardian says BT will have talks about sub-licensing some rights to terrestrial TV to keep the advertisers happy.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Since the CL went exclusively to BT I think the only time I've seen any action from it has been when it's appeared on the evening news. I'm not really sure who is left in it or how they're doing. There's plenty of decent football to be found without having to pay BT for it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The only reason that I can think of as to why BT have paid this much for European football is purely to stop Sky getting the contract back. It does make be wonder what UEFA sponsors will be saying with no free to air coverage as I can't see BT viewing figures jumping up, given that the group games are not of much interesting, and later stage viewing is very much dependent of the progress of home teams.

The only other possibility would be if BT release goal highlights as Sky do and either charge a same cost for it, and then bombard you with adverts for other BT services such as broadband and phones.

Either way I won't be watching

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
A Football TV deal that f*cks over many many fans/viewers and as said previously, can't be good for sponsor exposure. Everything seems to be about a constant revenue stream now. I am glad I have opted out of Sky, BT and Virgin options now. Would rather spend a few quid at the pub when I fancy it once in a blue moon

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
There was talk that I heard last week in an interview with one on these supposed experts in the field of TV contracts, that BT Sport were looking to do a deal with C4 as part of their re-bid. Apparently the sponsors were/are kicking up a fuss about the reduced TV audiences.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
The end of the CL , nobody watches it on BT

Depends what you mean by the "end" i guess. Its the 2nd season on BT now and they've just been persuaded that its still got enough life in it to extend their existing contract for a further 3 years and paying a hefty 33% increase in fees to cash strapped UEFA for the privelege . Only a whopping £400m a year now.
Goodbye highlights on ITV too as BT have decided to cough up for them too.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The only reason that I can think of as to why BT have paid this much for European football is purely to stop Sky getting the contract back. It does make be wonder what UEFA sponsors will be saying with no free to air coverage as I can't see BT viewing figures jumping up, given that the group games are not of much interesting, and later stage viewing is very much dependent of the progress of home teams.

The only other possibility would be if BT release goal highlights as Sky do and either charge a same cost for it, and then bombard you with adverts for other BT services such as broadband and phones.

Either way I won't be watching

I've always been with BT broadband, and never had any issues, downgraded to BT Sport Lite, after I was going to be charged for the full package of BTS.
Just couldn't justify that extra expense :eek:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Those who do have the social media probably know enough to get good streams too. Those who don't and LOVE the CL will go to the pub, I agree with others, this will hurt the audience above anything else.

D

Deleted member 22389

It's why everyone's bills keep going up. The bills have shot up over the last 3 years. First BT sport was free, then they added five pounds to everyone's bill which I got taken off.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
How hard did Sky try to get the rights back? I can't imagine BT's viewing figures have been that high especially as the English teams have been so crap in Europe over the past few years.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here