U23 goal vs Boro tonight (Connolly) - deserves it's own thread

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That!....was a goal.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm sure I read at the time we got him, that we beat Villa to his signature.

He was certainly coveted by WBA. Stephen Hopcroft (WBA's Head of Academy Recruitment) tweeted when he signed his scholarship for Brighton "Good luck to [MENTION=13051]jay[/MENTION]_molumby15 at @OfficialBHAFC. A great player going to a great club. Good luck Jays and thanks for giving your all at WBA" And, he had this to say a few months later:-

[TWEET]647102503083974656[/TWEET]

Molumby had also been across to Blackburn Rovers a number of times but turned them down because it didn't feel like a good fit for him. There had also been interest from Aston Villa and Celtic and he was very close to signing for Birmingham before he had a week's trial at Albion and, in consultation with family, friends, his Irish club and his representatives he decided Brighton was the best choice.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
You finally spelt his name right!

Your knowledge of youth football is vast and deserves the greatest respect,i do wonder,and get even frustrated by the fact that,managers have such a short lifespan ,they are loathed to blood these talented young players.Some clubs seem to hoover up vast numbers,only to loan them out and as soon as the window opens.....so does their cheque book ! To me is seems some sort of twilight zone,with these highly paid (prem clubs ) young players having no hope of first team action......and i don t think BHA are any different,i would like to think Rob Hunt will at least be the reserve right back ,or better next season.However i would not bet on it ......And i don't blame the club .

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He was certainly coveted by WBA. Stephen Hopcroft (WBA's Head of Academy Recruitment) tweeted when he signed his scholarship for Brighton "Good luck to [MENTION=13051]jay[/MENTION]_molumby15 at @OfficialBHAFC. A great player going to a great club. Good luck Jays and thanks for giving your all at WBA" And, he had this to say a few months later:-

[TWEET]647102503083974656[/TWEET]

Molumby had also been across to Blackburn Rovers a number of times but turned them down because it didn't feel like a good fit for him. There had also been interest from Aston Villa and Celtic and he was very close to signing for Birmingham before he had a week's trial at Albion and, in consultation with family, friends, his Irish club and his representatives he decided Brighton was the best choice.

Yes quite, in football parlance thats lots of 'if buts and maybes' it seems that the very top teams embedded within Ireland didnt agree with your own assessment of a young player with nailed on credentials, more likely he was just a talented player that needed some help, the benefit of the doubt, forgiven a few flaws, his own strengths exaggerated, just bang average player recruitment, absolutely nothing unique to any other assessment procedure where ever that might be.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
...it seems that the very top teams embedded within Ireland didnt agree with your own assessment of a young player with nailed on credentials

Er....what?

Do you think I'm John Morling?

I knew absolutely nothing about Jayson Molumby before he signed for Albion.

I have been quite impressed with what I've seen since he joined though, along with his Irish compatriot Aaron. :thumbsup:

Anyway, one of the Sussex-born scholars earned a professional contract today - I can only assume he has an Irish grandfather!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Er....what?

Do you think I'm John Morling?

I knew absolutely nothing about Jayson Molumby before he signed for Albion.

I have been quite impressed with what I've seen since he joined though, along with his Irish compatriot Aaron. :thumbsup:

Anyway, one of the Sussex-born scholars earned a professional contract today - I can only assume he has an Irish grandfather!

No need to be relentlessly childish, I wish every success to any youngster wherever they come from, its a rocky path no matter what, they need all the luck and support they can muster.

My position was prompted by you and others that seem to think that in Ireland we have found some kind of virgin territory and have some unique access to it, I simply pointed out that there are other more established clubs that most probably have first dibs on the limited prodigious talent Ireland has to offer and perhaps we are not eating at the top table but gorging on the tit bits.

My own preference is at such a critical stage of any young players career I would prefer if possible that Sussex youngsters be the primary beneficiaries of any preferrential support, this seems wholly reasonable to me and totally achievable, I think that Sussex can produce perhaps a minimum of ten expert young players, comparable to any other district at each age group per year, it neednt exclude the option of other players from elsewhere but a policy promoting it would most likely deliver similar successes that are currently being delivered now.

However it seems that the dominant recruitment personel have their eye elsewhere, if senior managers within any Academy plan and then implement a policy of a targeted recruitment area, then it follows that those peoples then strive for that policy to succeed, which in turn then skews the assessment process between players of a similar ability and potential within the same group of players at the same club.

If you think that the mantra of 'if your good enough' will ultimately negate the impact of those preferences then you dont know how young player development/progression works.

Good to hear a young Sussex lad gets a pro contract, who is that ??

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No need to be relentlessly childish, I wish every success to any youngster wherever they come from, its a rocky path no matter what, they need all the luck and support they can muster.

My position was prompted by you and others that seem to think that in Ireland we have found some kind of virgin territory and have some unique access to it, I simply pointed out that there are other more established clubs that most probably have first dibs on the limited prodigious talent Ireland has to offer and perhaps we are not eating at the top table but gorging on the tit bits.

My own preference is at such a critical stage of any young players career I would prefer if possible that Sussex youngsters be the primary beneficiaries of any preferrential support, this seems wholly reasonable to me and totally achievable, I think that Sussex can produce perhaps a minimum of ten expert young players, comparable to any other district at each age group per year, it neednt exclude the option of other players from elsewhere but a policy promoting it would most likely deliver similar successes that are currently being delivered now.

However it seems that the dominant recruitment personel have their eye elsewhere, if senior managers within any Academy plan and then implement a policy of a targeted recruitment area, then it follows that those peoples then strive for that policy to succeed, which in turn then skews the assessment process between players of a similar ability and potential within the same group of players at the same club.

If you think that the mantra of 'if your good enough' will ultimately negate the impact of those preferences then you dont know how young player development/progression works.

Good to hear a young Sussex lad gets a pro contract, who is that ??

Archie Davies

(think he is from Hastings)

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

We don't win 4-2 at home very often. In fact, we've only one it three times this century. One was the first match. The last one was nearly ten years ago.

You really wanted to know that, didn't you ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here