Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus buries Simon Kirby story

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hidden away in a tiny section of a column on page 6 of today's Argus is a story that leads page 4 of the i today - that it has emerged that Kemp Town MP and City Minister Simon Kirby has been stripped of responsibility for overseeing the impact of Brexit on financial services, apparently because the City thinks he's not up to it.

Now I'd say that's a pretty big local story, but apparently the geniuses who run the paper from Dorset disagree. Maybe they were trying to follow the example of the government, who made no announcement of it when it happened a few weeks ago.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I feel for him in a small way. His remit of reassuring the financial sector and maintaining confidence that the Govt has a plan was both a) pointless as Davis trying to do that and b) impossible as there isn't a plan, at least not one to satisfy the confidence of the groups he'd been tasked with placating.

It's evident he knew naff all about what he was doing, but why that makes him any different to many of the other goons running this shitshow I don't know.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Hidden away in a tiny section of a column on page 6 of today's Argus is a story that leads page 4 of the i today - that it has emerged that Kemp Town MP and City Minister Simon Kirby has been stripped of responsibility for overseeing the impact of Brexit on financial services, apparently because the City thinks he's not up to it.

Now I'd say that's a pretty big local story, but apparently the geniuses who run the paper from Dorset disagree. Maybe they were trying to follow the example of the government, who made no announcement of it when it happened a few weeks ago.

What ... and the city thinks May, Davis, Fox and Boris bloody Johnson are up to it???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Invisible news for an invisible MP - seems apt!

Unfortunately he (claims to) represent the area where I live.

The only good thing I will say for him is that he supports our club and is a double North Stand season ticket holder.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
What ... and the city thinks May, Davis, Fox and Boris bloody Johnson are up to it???

They think this bunch are 'up to' looking after their interests yes. And I have no doubt they are right about that. They will do, and say, what they are told by their masters in the City.

EDit: maybe not May.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This falls in to the general category that any constructive argument about Brexit must be stifled. Anyone or anything that seems to question or raise doubt about May's Brexit mantra's of " Brexit means Brexit " " We will get the best deal for Britain " " It will be a resounding successs " will be closed down or marginalised in the form of many foreign despots and governments.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Invisible news for an invisible MP - seems apt!

Unfortunately he (claims to) represent the area where I live.

The only good thing I will say for him is that he supports our club and is a double North Stand season ticket holder.

He's likely to lose his seat at the next election with the boundary changes, in any case.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Oh dear,politics of envy again.Somebody does well for themselves,and they automatically become demonised by the jealous non-achievers.Change the record,ffs,you could be stuck with a total oxygen-thief like Jess Phillips.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Oh dear,politics of envy again.Somebody does well for themselves,and they automatically become demonised by the jealous non-achievers.Change the record,ffs,you could be stuck with a total oxygen-thief like Jess Phillips.

Trying to work out who are the 'jealous non-achievers' in your mind here?
Or did you just dip randomly into your selection of 'best of the 80's' quote collection?

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014

Most people read the Argus online,it was prominent on there website yesterday.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Meaningless post.

If anyone has demonised him, it's the City. So who is envious here? How is he doing well for himself? It's evident he was out of his depth, so him knowing that ought to mean he shouldn't have accepted the gig in the first place.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Assuming that the Argus report is even roughly accurate...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15130152.Simon_Kirby_loses_oversight_role_for_impact_of_Brexit/

'City Minister Simon Kirby has been stripped of responsibilities for overseeing Brexit's impact on financial services, just months after being handed the portfolio.

The Treasury confirmed the shift took place near the end of January, but said the standing-down of Mr Kirby's brief did not change the nature of his role as Economic Secretary in charge of financial services.

But the move follows reports senior City executives were unhappy with Mr Kirby's credentials, after he was unable to provide detailed answers and assurances about how the Treasury was handling Brexit.

Mr Kirby had no experience in banking or finance before stepping into politics, having launched and jointly owned a business called C-Side in Brighton and a local radio station that became Juice FM.'

:wozza:

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Geezer is an absolute turnip. He literally looks like one of the muppets. He thinks that popping in The Telscombe Tavern once a month for a pint of Harvey's makes him a man of the people. Total tosser from top to bottom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here