Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever "done a runner"...?

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Oh no not again, Fire alarm !!

A few years back we were in a well known supermarket and the fire alarm went off just as we had finished our packing at the till and about to pay. The girl on the till said we have to go as the supermarket emptied and waved us to hurry up. The wife looked at me and said we havent paid, I whispered and we are not gonna and pushed the cart out in the car park, everyone was standing around and I just pushed the cart to the car loaded it up and drove off. We still use the supermarket and fully expected to get a tug when we went back, but with the little one crying the alarm going off thought we could have a good excuse oh sorry kinda way and pay for the shop.

Bad man

Hope that was a weeks shopping? Bet you wished at some point with hindsight you had loaded up a bit more :thumbsup:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No, because I'm not a scumbag.

I did however turn around and leave when a queeny waiter clicked his fingers at me and pointed at a table once.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Two different things tho eh?

There's the bar thing, whereby in the UK it's Pay As You Go, and in the non-UK you rack up a tab whether you asked for one or not.

Then there's the restaurant thing, whereby, OK, it's pretty annoying that the restaurant should show so much disinterest in giving you the bill.

Guess in the end tho, the bar/restaurant is trusting you to act like a decent person and do the right thing.

I do try and do the decent thing and if I have the right money or near enough I leave it on the table. The last time I did it I only had a 50euro note and only wanted to pay for a coffee, I asked three times and even went to the kiosk to pay but they told me to sit back down. I was the only person in there too and the waiter was more interested in the football highlights on TV than serving me so I thought it was taking the Michael somewhat.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Once a friend left his card behind the bar to get drinks in on. It turned into a very heavy night and the group grew quite big. They all got slaughtered on his tab and at the end of the night they left without settling up as were so wankered. The bill must have been good couple of hundred quid at least. On waking up the next morning and realising what had happened my friend just reported the card stolen and didn't go back to the pub for 6 months. Nothing ever came of it.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
On the road in Italy once - stopped to eat at a hotel/restaurant type thing. There was a coach parked outside and it was quite busy as we queued for the restaurant - anyway we were sat down, fed a slap up meal and then left with all the others as they trooped off to their coach. I guess they were on an all-inclusive trip. Only on the way out did we notice the sign which translated as - 'closed for private function' or something.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yeah I've done it when I lived in the USA, we used to call it "Dine&Dash" .Being chased by restaurant staff is hilarious when you are 18 and can get away

I love that terminology

I first heard it watching Judge Judy . Even she laughed when she heard what it was called and she is a right miserable ****er.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I love that terminology

I first heard it watching Judge Judy . Even she laughed when she heard what it was called and she is a right miserable ****er.
Who earns over $40m a year. :ohmy:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes, in a Brighton establishment back on a Saturday night after a game in the Withdean era with [MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION] and our respective wives of the time.

It hadn't been a particularly good meal and we'd been neglected a bit - we were upstairs, possibly the only people up there, but despite that the runner was completely unintentional and had neither been discussed nor planned.

We had enough of waiting to pay the bill so we headed downstairs to pay and leave. The stairs led directly to the front door and, as we walked down, a member of staff opened the door for us and gave us a cheery "Thanks - have a good night."

I can't recall who was first out of the four of us, but they kept on walking straight out the door and the rest of us followed. And that was that. More of a "walker' than a "runner", I suppose.

I've basically got exactly the same story as the first date with my ex about 16 years ago.

A Brighton establishment - check
Withdean era - check
Mediocre food - check
Upstairs in the restaurant - check
Waited for ages for the bill - check
Walked downstairs to leave unchallenged - check
Cheery wave at the door - check

Get your own damn story.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My mate feigned illness so we could get him out side for some fresh air. We then instructed the waiter to get him an ambulance quick as we thought we were losing him. The minute he went back inside to ring we legged it down the road.........
Now before anyone comments, we all felt terribly guilty in the morning knowing we might have got an ambulance out under false pretences. We did hear the waiter screaming at us but we were about 3 hundred yards away so I hope he cancelled it, but this is a cathartic moment for me in confessing.
The Dansaak was top notch by the way.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Yes, in a Brighton establishment back on a Saturday night after a game in the Withdean era with [MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION] and our respective wives of the time.

It hadn't been a particularly good meal and we'd been neglected a bit - we were upstairs, possibly the only people up there, but despite that the runner was completely unintentional and had neither been discussed nor planned.

We had enough of waiting to pay the bill so we headed downstairs to pay and leave. The stairs led directly to the front door and, as we walked down, a member of staff opened the door for us and gave us a cheery "Thanks - have a good night."

I can't recall who was first out of the four of us, but they kept on walking straight out the door and the rest of us followed. And that was that. More of a "walker' than a "runner", I suppose.

I think you've every right to walk out if the food and the service is appalling. Not sure it'd stand up in court mind...

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I guess we were about 20 when 5 of us did a runner from a chinese by the Steyne in Worthing. Some 20 years later, most of the same group go into a new Chinese in Teville road.
The owner comes over and says - arrow boys, you grow up now, you no run away this time? That's when we recognised Charlie, the guy who owned the Steyne restaurant all those years ago.
We didn't run away and we did leave a decent tip but talk about your past catching up on you.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Never done it. Partly because I used to work as a barman at the Black Lion Harvester and the waiting staff had to cover any runners from their wages.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, with friends in Ibiza, when we were 19. We'd wanted to try it for some time and finally gained the 'courage'.

But the anticipation of this plan during our meal made it slightly unrelaxing, and it wasn't pleasant sprinting with full stomachs through the lanes of old town San Antonio pursued by waiters.

We were sprightly teenagers so weren't caught.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I have only done a runner once and never again. Me and a friend we about 25 at the time. We went for lunch in the Slug and Lettuce on George Street. After a few beers we decided that we should make a run for it without paying. We ran as fast as we could to the Albion pub round the corner on Church Road. We ordered our drinks and sat there feeling a little guilty and excited at the same time.

It then dawned on us that we had left our flight tickets for our trip to Amsterdam (with our names printed on them) on the table in the restaurant. We had to go back into the Slug and Lettuce with our tales between our legs and ask for our tickets and settle our bill. What a couple of prats!!

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
No, but I have done a swimmer. She was all arms and legs IIRC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here