Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Large One View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AND the Ouse Valley Viaduct. AND the doubling of line capacity south of Haywards Heath. AND the congestion at East Croydon which can't cope with any more capacity.

BML2 isn't planned to go through East Croydon. It doesn't have the capacity.

BML is tits-up every day - dispute or no dispute.
    note you avoid the crucial question: how much you willing to pay for this option?
    Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      That wasnt a myth as building had started hence the road at Crossbush that was to go over the River Adur and by pass Arundel is just an eyesore going nowhere now and serving no purpose.

The houses in Warren Rd Worthing were all compulsory purchased but when the plan was scrapped resold as very low prices. So was no myth just the costs went up dramatically./
      Completely agree with you BG. I am old enough to also remember the schemes at both Worthing and Arundel being promoted. Not as a motorway but to dual carriageway the A27 through West Sussex. Houses were compulsory purchased in Worthing and stood empty for years until Highway Agency sold them again and kept the profits in house price increases.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      note you avoid the crucial question: how much you willing to pay for this option?
      I haven't avoided it (a) because you haven't asked it and (b) it's completely the wrong question to ask.

A far more pertinent one is - how much does Sussex and Kent have to pay to not have this option?
      The Albion Roar on Twitter
      New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm

0 Not allowed!
      I still need to be convinced that a route from London via Sutton, Leatherhead, Dorking, Horsham and Arundel with the only construction needed being the "missing" spur south of Arundel would be any less practical than the BML2 project. This route would avoid the bottleneck at Croydon. Perhaps those more knowledgable with Railway matters could help me?

1 Not allowed!
      As others have said, the closure of the Uckfield to Lewes line wasn't part of the Beeching cuts - it happened a few years later. I believe it was actually making a profit at the time. I can't think what possible advantage there was in closing an 8-mile stretch of track that linked up the local network and provided an alternative route to the Brighton mainline. Ridiculous decision.
      *JCL since 1976 - FA Cup final, replay and semi, two play-off finals, Hereford, three Championships, eight promotions, five relegations, four home stadiums*

Gov't: 'No case' for BML2

0 Not allowed!
      Another blow to Kirby (who is a passionate supporter of BML2) having had his wings clipped regarding his role in Brexit.
      :guitar:
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      All developments like rail and road should be funded by the people who use them, no taxpayer money should be involved, then a proper business case would be needed.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      Commuting between Brighton and London just seems like less and less a sustainable option anymore, despite the pitifully small distance in a straight line between the two points. Almost feel genuinely sorry for the DFLs.
      Well the "good" news is at present they are staying away!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by I remember the good times View Post
      Excuse my ignorance here. I live in Uckfield and, as it happens, the railway tootles across the countryside every half an hour about a mile in the distance. It's a single track.
      Now I cant for the life of me work out how anyone is going to get a double track along here and off to London. As for going off towards Brighton, heck we've built on most of the land between Uckfield Station and the A22 and beyond that is countryside. Build a dual track express line through there, never happen I'm afraid.
      Er, there was a double track right up until about 1990 and there is plenty of room for it. None of the track bed has been built on except in lewes, but that section doesn't matter as there is an alternative route via Hamsey.
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      Are people taking stupidity pills on here today or something

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
      But HS2 will get you to Birmingham 20mins quicker and that is worth it's weight in....? (over to you NSC!!)
      I used to regularly commute from Coventry to London. The quickest train was 57 minutes (and then it took me forever at rush hour to get from Euston to Victoria)

Nobody in the area wants HS2. It's pointless. I've said for years the investment would be better in the South East. HS2 by the way has now been approved despite large opposition to it.