Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle MATCH REPORT

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
These are so much harder to write after a defeat, so hope you appreciate it!

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?644-Albion-1-2-Newcastle-United-28.02.2017

Clubs spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on facilities, and tacticians, and scouting, and sports science, and statisticians, and conditioning experts. The football media pores ad nauseum over systems, and coaching, and skill-sets, and decision-making. Fans fixate on desire and heart and commitment. The unspoken truth – the factor mocking everything – is that pure luck plays a massive part in it all. If Newcastle’s 81st minute leveller here – Atsu’s scuffed volley, deflecting off Murphy’s toe, and looping high off the unaware Diame’s foot, into the very top corner of the net – comes to ultimately define the Albion’s season, we might as well all just pack it in.

An unprecedented run of misfortune derailed the finale of the last campaign. If lady luck is in the same mood this season, she can **** off, frankly

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The excerpt you've posted sums up my feeling at the moment. Too soon to read the whole thing.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've just sent my report off to Tim Carder to publish in the Supporters' Club Almanac. Yours knocks spots off of mine. I think next time, I'll just copy and paste yours! Excellent. Thank you. (I've not mentioned artwork).

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Great reading, astute as always. As you say, no-one would have argued with a draw, but to lose to 2 late goals, 1 a total freak, is hard to take

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Just read the report back through to check it over, and I haven't really made enough of Shelvey's contribution.

He was very, very good and dictated much of proceedings. We needed to get closer to him. Shelvey deciding to concentrate for 90 minutes on just being a good footballer rather than acting like a knob, probably won them that game.

Can't be arsed to change it, mind.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Nobody is bothered when we lose!

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Another great write up @ Exile, thanks. Always seems to hit the nail on the head for me... really liked the Hunemeier tweet at the end, good to end on a positive note :clap2

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not being funny, but is your pencil broken? No artwork for TWO reports? :jester:

Anyway....

"Newcastle are officially crowned Champions, despite the fact that the Albion might well be the lead frog again by Saturday evening. I’ve no axe at all to grind with Newcastle, but it must be said, in the words of one of their own, I would love it - love it –were we to prove the experts wrong."

I said this a while back – I feel exactly the same. Everything I heard in the build-up to this game was all about the barcodes and it's been like that for almost all the season. Everyone just presumes they'll a) get promoted or b) win the title. The fact that we're in March and they are only just two points clear suggest that it's by no means a formality. Newcastle vs Leeds in the play-off final? The Sky Sports mob wouldn't know what to DO with themselves :lol:

Cracking report Exile. Nailed it once again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've just sent my report off to Tim Carder to publish in the Supporters' Club Almanac. Yours knocks spots off of mine. I think next time, I'll just copy and paste yours! Excellent. Thank you. (I've not mentioned artwork).

You're being too modest. I've just read it, and you've done a great job. I, especially, liked the Stockdale/Gouffran paragraph.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
You're being too modest. I've just read it, and you've done a great job. I, especially, liked the Stockdale/Gouffran paragraph.

Thank you very much. You've made my day.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Brilliant, brilliant read. How on earth do you manage to watch the game and write all this stuff, memory?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Brilliant, brilliant read. How on earth do you manage to watch the game and write all this stuff, memory?

Thanks.

Mostly from memory, yes, but with a couple of prompts to help with the chronology of things - I normally remember the incidents but not always in the right order.

Process, for a night game, works roughly like this:

Attend game, make mental notes of incidents.
Ponder game on long drive home, trying to think of a few interesting / witty things to include in report.
Go to bed.
Wake up having forgotten all witty / interesting things.
Over breakfast, browse a few relevant instagram accounts, and search #bhafc on twitter for some illustrative pics and comments to include.
Spend first two hours at work writing report in ms word.
Check report against a live feed (BBC live text, Andy Naylor's live tweets, or similar) then rework it all into the right chronology.
Paste report into NSC template and publish.

Remember witty / interesting things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here