Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A few things from last night

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought we played well last night, apart from some dubious passing at the back in the last 20 odd minutes that caused a few swear words. Stepping back from my position as Albion fan, and looking at it neutrally, I thought it was a really good, honest, competitive game of football. Both teams going for it, both playing some great stuff.

Disappointed yes, but I still enjoyed it. I can still see that this time next week we'll be back on top though!

Agree with this (although the dubious passing at the back went on throughout the second half), and agree with the vast majority written on this thread. It was an entertaining game, and the Nucasol fan I talked to on the way home was similarly impressed.
I thought we had some great chances to extend our lead, not just for instance the two volleys by Bruno and Murray, Knockaert's effort and Dunk's header, but we broke extremely dangerously in the second half, and Murphy (who put one heck of a shift in) was in acres of space with a clear run on goal on (at least) two occasions: once Baldock's pass didn't quite get through, the other time Knockaert(?) made the wrong decision and passed elsewhere.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was also impressed by Shelvey. I knew he was good but I had it in my head he was a blood-and-thunder, marauding midfielder who might see the red mist in a game like this.

In fact he was playing deeper than I realised, and played with a calm authority that influenced his team mates all game. I'm a huge fan of our current midfielders but Shelvey is surely the best in this division.

This. Although their grip on the game very much improved when Diame dropped back from ACM to a deeper role, which enabled Shelvey to play that much further up the pitch, and hurt us more. We also need to single out that sublime long pass from Ritchie to Atsu to set up their winner: it might just have outdone the Dunk to Knockaert exocet.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
This. Although their grip on the game very much improved when Diame dropped back from ACM to a deeper role, which enabled Shelvey to play that much further up the pitch, and hurt us more. We also need to single out that sublime long pass from Ritchie to Atsu to set up their winner: it might just have outdone the Dunk to Knockaert exocet.

Yes, great pass, was disappointed that Bruno maybe could have reached it had he not jumped so early (I'm going by what I saw live, haven't seen a replay to see if I'm being harsh on him).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes, great pass, was disappointed that Bruno maybe could have reached it had he not jumped so early (I'm going by what I saw live, haven't seen a replay to see if I'm being harsh on him).

I suspect Bruno's beating himself up about it (see also the first few seconds away vs Hudds). I so hope his body sees him over the line to lead us out in the PL, and play a significant role in the season.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My take (opinion) on a few things:

Bruno - Saturday he flighted a ball over a Reading defender for Baldock to score to cries of sublime etc. Oppo player does the same to him last night and he's to blame. Sometimes it's just a great piece of play, accept, move on.

Tomori - for a young lad, out of position, I thought he did very well, particularly 2nd half - what game were some watching?

Sidwell/Stephens - it's great breaking up play, but where's the creativity? Shelvey looked head and shoulders better and he probably had a quiet game for him.

Sidwell/Stephens/Duffy/Murray - all guilty of being sloppy with very poor first touches on occasions that dropped is in the sh1t (Stockdale semi excused but he should know better)

Murray - Seems to have lost half a yard of pace and when the ball is played towards him, all he does is back in to the defender and hope for the best. Hemed has looked better recently in this respect - has Murray accepted his final salary pension by signing permanently?

Just one of those nights - it happens.

There will be more shocks/turn ups in the coming weeks - this is the Championship!! Would I swap our current position - hell NO!

Bruno also did the same last night, sadly this time a few inches to high for Balders.
Tomori, whether in the right or wrong, open to debate, in my opinion this did stifle Murphy from marauding to become more defensive and obviously without the same understanding as Poc, who was pivotal when being subbed.

However unlike a couple of weeks ago when I was drowning in my sorrows of our poor performances and beginning to think we were ready for a tumble, I don't this time. Still very much in the positive camp.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
WE need to sort out the Murray situation defending corners, too much sloppy play, poor passes, poor control all symptons of pressure in my opinion. Had we continued in the same vein as the first twenty minutes I do believe we could have wrapped the game up by half time. Defending a one goal lead for seventy minutes is a tall order. Nothing wrong with the team selection or tactics until we scored when we seemed to have ceded far too much to Newcastle.
Its a shame we lost, lets trust we can secure some points on Saturday.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I was also impressed by Shelvey. I knew he was good but I had it in my head he was a blood-and-thunder, marauding midfielder who might see the red mist in a game like this.

In fact he was playing deeper than I realised, and played with a calm authority that influenced his team mates all game. I'm a huge fan of our current midfielders but Shelvey is surely the best in this division.

If it wasn't for his temperament he'd (still) be a top 6 Premier league player. He'll mature with age.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I still don't understand our tactics defending corners/free kicks, when we bring everybody back. Teams then can push all up and, when the ball is cleared, it'll just come back at us.

Why not leave the smallest/quickest players up on the halfway line/ Put one out toward each wing and the opposition will need to leave at least 3 back and, using quick players they will be able to chase those punts upfield.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I still don't understand our tactics defending corners/free kicks, when we bring everybody back. Teams then can push all up and, when the ball is cleared, it'll just come back at us.

Why not leave the smallest/quickest players up on the halfway line/ Put one out toward each wing and the opposition will need to leave at least 3 back and, using quick players they will be able to chase those punts upfield.

People say this, but look at what's going on with your eyes. We're simply devastating at breaking when the opposition have corners (ask Reading that, for instance). CH's view on this is that it's not where players are positioned but the speed and numbers of those that break.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I can never understand how people think professional athletes can get tired?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Reply to earlier post : why don't we leave player up at corners. Tactically there are a number of reasons not to leave a player up.. firstly it just makes the penalty area more crowded and, makes it more difficult to get clear run, header, shot. It also allows you to be flexible to short corners without leaving gaps in the middle, the danger area. The reality is that a clearance from a corner is rarely a measured pass, and at these levels, a forward outnumbered by two defenders is unlikely to come out on top very often. It is purely a % tactic - defend the corner properly is the priority, work the ball clear and reset to defend the second phase if necessary. If you do get good possession ('Keeper catches or 2nd ball win) you have better chance of making decisive pass with lots of players breaking in different directions, at pace,facing the right way - much harder to mark than one player on the halfway waiting for a punt upfield. Completely diferent in kids footie of course!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We were always in the game, had some amazing opportunities to go 2-0 up. I think the size of their squad, means that perhaps at this stage of the season two games in three days, is a little harder on us than Newcastle. Also their game was nowhere near as tough as ours on Saturday. That said, what can you say about a totally fluke goal? That was our downfall I always thought if we let one in they would really go for it and get a second. I also thought Stephens in the first half ran the midfield and we were spreading the play around very very well stretching Newcastle all over the place, unfortunately we just couldn't keep it up. I would've brought Hemed for Murray about 75 min and also Kayal for Baldock. Kayal did stop Shelvey playing when he came on. Although had Hughton made that sub at 1-0 on 75 min we would have been slated.
Basically this game had very very fine margins. They are a mid table PL team in the Championship and we still have the chance to over take them this weekend. A win at Forest and Newcastle and or Huddersfield have to drop points.

I would love a win for us and Newcastle as that would increase the gap to third place.
A Huddersfield win is a big worry.
So will probably happen just to make life more stressful.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I agree with almost all of the comments (all the earlier ones) and I would have had Darlow as MOM as well.

Very much what we could expect in the Premier League.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Well i thought Murray was excellent last night as their defence stuck to him like glue. Great battle with him and their centre backs. Not sure why anyone would conclude he's carrying a knock, bizarre.

If his goal hadn't been ruled out on Saturday nobody would be questioning him.

Agree with all other points.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Have to agree, I thought Murray was the best striker on the pitch and their CB's will not of enjoyed playing against him last night

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Have to agree, I thought Murray was the best striker on the pitch and their CB's will not of enjoyed playing against him last night

You must have been up the north end.

Excellent when I watched the rerun on TV (first half only), but his legs seemed to have gone after an hour. Not surprising at the pace the game was played at. I was running out of steam sitting down watching it.

They were tiring as well and I thought Akpom could even have come on.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
You must have been up the north end.

Excellent when I watched the rerun on TV (first half only), but his legs seemed to have gone after an hour. Not surprising at the pace the game was played at. I was running out of steam sitting down watching it.

Yes agree he started to fade, especially when Baldock went off. Was watching him and Baldock working in the second half and, when one of them was pressing the Newcastle CB who had the ball, the other always tucked round on Jonjo Shelvey - hence why he had a quiet game.

As I've stated on several other threads, I truly believe we were managing the game and tactically we were sound until they had a huge slice of luck.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I thought the substitution of a forward for a midfielder (Kayal for Baldock) was a sign of Chris going back to his bad old ways of tying to hang on to a narrow lead or hang on for a point by taking off a striker. All it does is invite more pressure on our defence. Keeping Baldock on the field would have helped to keep the ball more in their half than ours. I would though have brought Hemed on for Murray at around 70 minutes as Glenn was looking knackered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here