Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was it a fluke?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tell me, have you ever played the game at any point since you were 7 years old? Even five a side? I only ask because if you had, you'd appreciate that this sort of thing happens and when you're the one who scores it, you immediately put your hand up to acknowledge a complete fluke. You're just over analysing it and there's really no need - he simply stuck his foot out in the millisecond he had to think about it.

Indeed. He's admitted it was a fluke, end of.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Your 2nd par contradicts your 3rd - and it appears you don't have the excuse of drugs?

2nd par being "he made a slight movement" and 3rd being "He wasn't intending to send it goalwards"??
If so you misunderstand my post... apologies.

Let me try to be clearer:

He instinctively made a movement on reacting to seeing the ball coming towards him.
That movement was not intended to be an attempt on goal. Purely a flinch based on unexpectedly having to react to the ball.

The fact that the flinch was exactly the right movement to spin the ball high into the top corner was a complete fluke.
Hence no technique involved. No muscle memory, no skill, no intent. Just pure unadulterated luck.

He has admitted as much himself.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I think it was pretty obvious by his reaction to scoring that it was a complete fluke.

And as others have said, he subsequently admitted it.

He instinctively made a movement on reacting to seeing the ball coming towards him.
That movement was not intended to be an attempt on goal. Purely a flinch based on unexpectedly having to react to the ball.

This is the nub of the issue - we dont know that latter thing for sure - I think instinctively he would have had the spatial awareness to know his position and the goal's position, so his deflection may not have been as utterly random as people are alleging. He definitely shapes his leg as the ball arrives.

Now of course he wants no credit for the goal, it's a total shitshow involving errors by at least 3 players on either side and no pro footballer wants any linking to that given the screamers Diame has made his name for - but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve credit for the speed of his reflexes

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Well I don't think it's likely to be making the shortlist for Goal of the Month throughout the divisions. I've seen goals in slow motion replays hit the back of the net quicker than Newcastle's equaliser in real time last night.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yes Atsu comically slices his shot and then it grazes off Murphy's boot. But it looks to me that Diame then angles his foot to direct it goalbound with only a millisecond to react to his teammates' miskicks. So I think this could be a decent bit of technique by Diame

You often post drivel, but this just about takes the biscuit.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This is the nub of the issue - we dont know that latter thing for sure - I think instinctively he would have had the spatial awareness to know his position and the goal's position, so his deflection may not have been as utterly random as people are alleging. He definitely shapes his leg as the ball arrives.

Now of course he wants no credit for the goal, it's a total shitshow involving errors by at least 3 players on either side and no pro footballer wants any linking to that given the screamers Diame has made his name for - but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve credit for the speed of his reflexes

You are having a laugh :D

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

Mental

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
His reaction concretes the fact it's a fluke

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Some people may think you're totally barkingly but they don't realise just how finely his instincts are honed. At that precise moment of the first deflection, his senses were so acutely tuned that he not only saw the ball in a millisecond but simultaneously heard the precise angle of it's trajectory. This coupled with his inordinately refined ability to sense air displacement through every inch of skin on his face, neck, arms and legs allowed him to react and "shape his leg".

The story doesn't end there. This shaping of the leg was not some feckless, random act. No, it was an act of consummate precision informed by an imperious grasp of aerodynamics, immaculate understanding of the prevalent barometric pressure within the Amex, the precise wind speed & direction and a mysterious yet clearly apparent ability to sense the precise location of Stockdale within the goal.

It's a good job that, unlike the rest of us, Diame's modest misdirection hasn't pulled the wool over your eyes. Thank goodness you've seen through it and not only that, revealed to the world the true extent of his abilities. He didn't fool you, you saw him shape his leg.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I've not heard nor seen an interview myself, but I travelled home with Albion staff who mentioned that Diame confessed it was a complete fluke and he knew nothing about it.

Still completely unmarked though.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Clearly that's your archetypal continentals innit

The ability to see a ball ping 2 ways and to sort out the angle, slice and speed to get the ball spinning wildly over the despairing keeper and defender on the line. Only the highly intelligent can see what a planned goal it was.

Also the same highly intelligent people who are the only ones who can see how great a leader corbyn is.

I pity those so blind as they cannot see it

Can we have this thread merged with the Corbyn - time to go (incorporating Hilary Benn sacked etc...) thread, please?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here