Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was it a fluke?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tell me, have you ever played the game at any point since you were 7 years old? Even five a side? I only ask because if you had, you'd appreciate that this sort of thing happens and when you're the one who scores it, you immediately put your hand up to acknowledge a complete fluke. You're just over analysing it and there's really no need - he simply stuck his foot out in the millisecond he had to think about it.
    Indeed. He's admitted it was a fluke, end of.
    "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by London Irish View Post
      Your 2nd par contradicts your 3rd - and it appears you don't have the excuse of drugs?
      2nd par being "he made a slight movement" and 3rd being "He wasn't intending to send it goalwards"??
      If so you misunderstand my post... apologies.

Let me try to be clearer:

He instinctively made a movement on reacting to seeing the ball coming towards him.
      That movement was not intended to be an attempt on goal. Purely a flinch based on unexpectedly having to react to the ball.

The fact that the flinch was exactly the right movement to spin the ball high into the top corner was a complete fluke.
      Hence no technique involved. No muscle memory, no skill, no intent. Just pure unadulterated luck.

He has admitted as much himself.

0 Not allowed!
      He spent 81mins standing still and finally the tactic paid off. Useless ****.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I think it was pretty obvious by his reaction to scoring that it was a complete fluke.

And as others have said, he subsequently admitted it.
      Members
      Trapped inside the Project for the New American Century

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uh_huh_him View Post
      He instinctively made a movement on reacting to seeing the ball coming towards him.
      That movement was not intended to be an attempt on goal. Purely a flinch based on unexpectedly having to react to the ball.
      This is the nub of the issue - we dont know that latter thing for sure - I think instinctively he would have had the spatial awareness to know his position and the goal's position, so his deflection may not have been as utterly random as people are alleging. He definitely shapes his leg as the ball arrives.

Now of course he wants no credit for the goal, it's a total shitshow involving errors by at least 3 players on either side and no pro footballer wants any linking to that given the screamers Diame has made his name for - but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve credit for the speed of his reflexes
      "I have been in professional football since I was 16 - that's 33 years this summer. I have seen and done it all. In Brighton, I thought that I had found a club that sat outside the norm. People who love their club but are realistic about their club's prospects in dire circumstances. That appealed to me. That is what I call true loyalty. Supporting the club as you have done through the hard times. I am prepared to be here through these hard times and to develop a squad as I have started to do in preparation for the day that we all move to a new stadium at Falmer. I need your support, patience and understanding in the long-term because there is no quick fix. I hope you will continue to give me that opportunity." Mark McGhee, 17th April 2006

0 Not allowed!
      Dis aliter visum. End of.
      I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first.

(Arrigo Sacchi, Italian national coach; coach, AC Milan, x2.etc. Never played a day professionally)
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Well I don't think it's likely to be making the shortlist for Goal of the Month throughout the divisions. I've seen goals in slow motion replays hit the back of the net quicker than Newcastle's equaliser in real time last night.
      Members

4 Not allowed!
      Yes Atsu comically slices his shot and then it grazes off Murphy's boot. But it looks to me that Diame then angles his foot to direct it goalbound with only a millisecond to react to his teammates' miskicks. So I think this could be a decent bit of technique by Diame
      You often post drivel, but this just about takes the biscuit.
      Thanks Robbie - one day we'll name a stand after you.
      Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      This is the nub of the issue - we dont know that latter thing for sure - I think instinctively he would have had the spatial awareness to know his position and the goal's position, so his deflection may not have been as utterly random as people are alleging. He definitely shapes his leg as the ball arrives.

Now of course he wants no credit for the goal, it's a total shitshow involving errors by at least 3 players on either side and no pro footballer wants any linking to that given the screamers Diame has made his name for - but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve credit for the speed of his reflexes
      You are having a laugh

0 Not allowed!
      Could only happen at the Amex against us in a big big game
      UP THE ALBION!!!!!