Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Leavers

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
The City game as a contest was long over. Ours was a sulky reaction to conceding a goal to title rivals.

It wasn't, most people I know who leave at 87 or 88 minutes have a genuine reason like work, distance or children. Ultimately it's fine, i don't understand the "time Police" on here calling people out as proper fans and if you did strop off when the Toon got the winner, so what, thanks for the ticket money.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It is disappointing but it's connected to the elephant in the room at the Amex that the transport infrastructure remains a huge problem, and leaving early is one way of dealing with that problem.

Spot on El Pres.

Sadly there appears to be no will on the part of the club to improve the transport infrastructure. What it needs if for Barber to take the train from Littlehampton, or Bognor, or Seaford and experience for himself the long kettling queues, the crammed trains, the long queues at Brighton etc etc and do the return journey too when you have to be up and at it early the next day for work. Would it make any difference? Probably not as he can just jump in his limo with his priority car parking space for the next game.

I would also suggest that having so many games moved from Saturday 3pm just compounds the situation.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It doesn't though. Not to the extent that it happens at the Amex, anyway. Whether that is because of the demographic of our support or the transport, or a bit of both, it seems to be worse than anywhere else for it.

It would really annoy me if I was a player and when I was fighting desperately to get an equalise in the last minute, half the fans were streaming out of the ground. Not exactly #together, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if it is worse than all other grounds as I only go to BHAFC matches. Having said that, the transport infrastructure at the Amex is significantly worse than away grounds I have visited.

If I could stay to applaud the players, walk down to the station and get a train in 5/10 minutes (a 4 carriage train on Tuesday), get to Brighton with a West Coastway connection ready and waiting (15 minute wait and another four carriage train) and get home at a reasonable hour, I would love to do so.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I don't know if it is worse than all other grounds as I only go to BHAFC matches. Having said that, the transport infrastructure at the Amex is significantly worse than away grounds I have visited.

If I could stay to applaud the players, walk down to the station and get a train in 5/10 minutes (a 4 carriage train on Tuesday), get to Brighton with a West Coastway connection ready and waiting (15 minute wait and another four carriage train) and get home at a reasonable hour, I would love to do so.

:thumbsup: Yep, what is so hard to understand about that. You are clearly not a proper fan, probably a hanger on or plastic supporter. :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It wasn't, most people I know who leave at 87 or 88 minutes have a genuine reason like work, distance or children. Ultimately it's fine, i don't understand the "time Police" on here calling people out as proper fans and if you did strop off when the Toon got the winner, so what, thanks for the ticket money.

There are a lot of hypocrites posting on this thread, and I'm not referring to you.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I can understand why people leave early on the midweek days, especially if they have connections to make at brighton or lewes. I actually thought things worked ok on tuesday night. I arrived at brighton station around 6.40ish, the queue for the train had reached the gate at the station entrance, so I was much further back than usual. Annoyingly the 6.51 was delayed until 7 so the queue did not move for nearly 20 minutes. That said the queue was patient and there was good singing from both sets of supporters and did not hear many geordies moaning their heads off unlike some other less tolerant away fans. Eventully the 6.51 and 59 departed without me. I wasn't panicing as the 09, 19, 23 and 32 would still get me there before kick off. Got the 19 and arrive din plenty of time. The fans were patient, the staff loaded the trains to capacity and there were few empty seats at kick off, pretty good job all round for a 30,000 crowd.

After the game, had a couple of pints left at 10.25 walked straight on to a train back in the Albert by 10.45 no problems. I was expecting the trains to be a nightmare but for me they were ok. I really do not think the infrastructure is that bad. It just seems that way as the train station is literally at the stadium. Compared to Upton Park, Arsenal, Spurs etc it's fine. At places like Preston it's a 30 minute walk.

If you are expecting to get away instantly then you will be disappointed but if you factor in around 30-45 minutes you should be fine.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't begrudge anyone leaving early, they all have their reasons. I know I'll have a four hour drive ahead of me regardless of what time I leave the stadium, so I try and savour every moment whilst I'm there. In some ways the early leavers makes it a smoother departure for us staying until the players leave the field, as it's not such a crush getting out.

I guess what I'm saying is each to their own.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
There are a lot of hypocrites posting on this thread, and I'm not referring to you.

Indeed. Same thing applies to any STH who moan about empty seats and 'pretendances' without a hint of irony, not grasping that if they miss TWO games a season, that they ARE the missing 10%.

theboybilly

Spot on El Pres.

Sadly there appears to be no will on the part of the club to improve the transport infrastructure. What it needs if for Barber to take the train from Littlehampton, or Bognor, or Seaford and experience for himself the long kettling queues, the crammed trains, the long queues at Brighton etc etc and do the return journey too when you have to be up and at it early the next day for work. Would it make any difference? Probably not as he can just jump in his limo with his priority car parking space for the next game.

I would also suggest that having so many games moved from Saturday 3pm just compounds the situation.

That's a bit unfair. The transport provided by the club is pretty decent (have you been to Hillsborough or Elland Road? They are real ball-aches to get to and from their respective city centres) What doesn't help (with the trains) is that, after Network Rail spending heavily on upgrading the signalling to allow more trains through Falmer, Southern stubbornly refuse to make every train through at least 4 coaches and continue sending those awful 3-car units. When the sh*t hits the fan I find the club really do come up trumps as to getting people home after a game

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
People choose to leave early for whatever reasons, but I do find it irritating when people arrive 5 minutes after the game has kicked off.
The very same people leave 7 minutes or so before the interval and return 5 minutes or so into the 2nd half.
Massive game last night, if some people cannot buy into that then they never will.

guilty, guilty, guilty ..... but I don't leave early

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I had somewhere to go after the game so needed to get back to Brighton ASAP. Didn't feel good about it but I knew the game was over after their second.

Being right next to their fans didn't help either. :shrug:.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

With all due respect I disagree. I said in my initial post that people coming and going per se doesn't really bother me, it was the complete volte-face by some supporters when things didn't go our way that I didn't like.
However, I've posted far too much on this thread, I'm kind of over the Newcastle game now, and am looking forward to a nice early start on Saturday to get to Nottingham......return train is at 7.30pm, so no need for sneaking out early!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT LEAVING EARLY PER SAY! IT'S ABOUT A MASS EXODUS AFTER NEWCASTLE'S LATE GOAL AND THE IMPACT IT HAD ON THE PLAYERS / COULD YOU NOT HAVE WAITED / GIVEN A FEW MORE MINUTES SUPPORT BECAUSE OF THE GAME'S UNIQUE IMPORTANCE?!

Sorry, just wanted to make that clear because several people have tried it seems and 2 out of 3 poster's don't appear to 'get' that. Now, as you were.... :)

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I'm glad some leave early makes for a smaller queue for my post match Harvey's and normally ensures that I can walk straight on to a train an hour after the final whistle.

I really don't get the moaning it's up to the individual what they do and when.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT LEAVING EARLY PER SAY! IT'S ABOUT A MASS EXODUS AFTER NEWCASTLE'S LATE GOAL AND THE IMPACT IT HAD ON THE PLAYERS / COULD YOU NOT HAVE WAITED / GIVEN A FEW MORE MINUTES SUPPORT BECAUSE OF THE GAME'S UNIQUE IMPORTANCE?!

Sorry, just wanted to make that clear because several people have tried it seems and 2 out of 3 poster's don't appear to 'get' that. Now, as you were.... :)

The thread is titled "Early Leavers" and has subsequently led to an attack on people who choose, for whatever reason, to leave some/all games early. So, you know, you're kinda wrong. Now, as you were...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We could have played another four hours let alone four minutes, and we still wouldn't have equalised.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
People choose to leave early for whatever reasons, but I do find it irritating when people arrive 5 minutes after the game has kicked off.
The very same people leave 7 minutes or so before the interval and return 5 minutes or so into the 2nd half.
Massive game last night, if some people cannot buy into that then they never will.

My son often arrives late at the midweek games, sometimes later than 5 mins that you state. He does not knock off work until after 6 in Worthing, so it is sometimes hard to make it. We never leave until the players have left the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here