Tomori 7
knockaert 3 - dreadful all game should of been off on 50 mins
stephens 8
sidwell 8
Murray 7.5 good hold up play
baldock 6

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Stockdale 5 - some good saves, but a massive error nearly gifted a goal and then his error from the corner did cost a goal.
Bruno 5 - one excellent clearance mid second half aside, I thought he was poor. Went direct far too often, cutting out the supply to Knocky. Didn't get close enough for the second either, albeit the pass was sublime.
Duffy 5 - a catalogue of errors really, compounded by awful positioning for the second.
Dunk 6 - the best of the defensive bunch tonight, but struggled once Murphy came on.
Pocognoli 6 - started well. A real loss offensively when he went off, negating Murphy's impact and causing us to lose the left side as an outlet.
Knocky 5 - brilliant free kick aside, he was well marshalled. Not helped by Bruno punting the ball over his head at every opportunity.
Sidwell 6 - outnumbered in midfield, but battled valiantly to no avail.
Stephens 6 - showed composure, but was outshone and outnumbered in that area.
Murphy 6 - one of our better players. Had to adapt his game as soon as Tomori came on, and adapted it well. Lost a lot of his attacking threat without an attacking full back going on the outside of him.
Baldock 6 - I thought he played fairly well considering he had scraps to feed off after the first 10 minutes.
Murray 5 - held the ball up quite well, but lack of pace made him easy to marshall for good Championship defenders.

Tomori 6 - defensively he did well, particularly second half, but his lack of offensive output caused us to sit much deeper and left our left side feeling toothless.
Kayal 5 - the right sub to make at 1-0, the wrong sub to make at 1-1. Couldn't provide the energy we needed.
March N/A

Hughton 4 - I love the guy for what he's done, I really do. But if he's this unwilling to adapt tactically, then we will get slaughtered if we go up. The players made mistakes tonight, but Hughton came up against a Champions League winning coach and showed the difference in ability, even if he was classy as always.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Your missing my point all I am saying is Tony has done a fantastic job and has financed it to his limit but the guy isn't a bottom less pit is he?
We need to go up so he can recoup some of his stake all I'm saying is that if we fail it will be catastrophic for the club and if we succeed I'm not sure Tony has the funds to sustain it but we will see!

If we go up how does that mean he will recoup his stake?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Stockdale - 7 - a couple of great saves. Marked down a point for that error
Bruno - 5 - oh dear Saltor. Dived in unnecessarily to concede the corner that led to the jammy goal, then misjudged the flight of the ball for the pass that led to the second. Just ran out of gas
Poco - 6/Tomori - 7 - looked massively out of place but really grew into the game
Duffy - 7 - a strangely off night. Another who tired
Dunk - 8 - the pick of our defence. Countless interceptions and great passing
Stephens - 7 - as with so many, tired after playing well
Sidwell - 8 - MOTM won the battle of the ginger ninjas
Murphy - 7 - really helped tomori grow into the game. Some incicive runs, little end product
Knockaert - 6 - nothing worked tonight
Murray - 5 - a rare occasion where his touch largely failed him
baldock - 6 - a handful again

Kayal - 4 - offered literally nothing. At least look like you can be arsed
March - N/A

Hughton - 4 - allowed the team to sit too deep. Made the wrong substitution. Baldock should have stayed on. I would have taken off Murray for hemed

I agree with your marks & comments.
For me, the best part of the match was no significant cards were dished out.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My biggest concern with Hughton. IF we go up I'd be very concerned about him consistently making this mistake time and time again like he did at Norwich

He just likes the idea of hitting teams on the break rather than going for the jugular. I just don't like that mentality, and the second part of last season showed how devastating we can be when we attack.

As you say, potentially this is a recipe for failure at a higher level as teams defend better without the ball and are as probably athletic as ours.

However he is doing quite well at the moment [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
What makes you doubt he has the funds? Don't you understand that the rules changed several years ago and he can't just bankroll it through investment?

Bournemouth did get BANKROLLED by the Russian - and many would argue Leicester, QPR and Middlesbrough did the same to get to the PL.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Stockdale 7 Kept us in game
Tomori 5 So easy for wide man to pass or get cross in
Dunk 7 Good game
Duffy 7 Good game
Bruno 5 Why did he give winger so much space and then let him cross
Stevens 6 Average
Sidwell 6 Average Both not as creative as there midfield. However Murray or Baldock didnt make themselves available
Murphy 6 Our only attacking threat
Murray 4 Apart from penalty dire and contributed nothing.
Baldock 5 Poor
Knockhaert 5 Wrong decisions all game

We defended better in 2nd half. Up front terrible all game. We are poor if our wide players dont perform or are marked out of it. I would play young Arsenal player to add ome energy up front. Cannot understand how Murray was so poor and yet was kept on all game

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Bournemouth did get BANKROLLED by the Russian - and many would argue Leicester, QPR and Middlesbrough did the same to get to the PL.

Yep and if they had not gone up and received the premier league TV money they would have been penalised under ffp rules. After watching our club rise up from the brink of extinction, I'm quite happy to watch bloom and barber do it the right way.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Just some thoughts:
Stockdale: if he is going to punch the ball away he needs to punch a lot harder. He also needs to remember he is a gk and not a sweeper
Bruno: his powers are waining - two games in quick succession too much for the fella
Stephens: a PL midfielder he isn't, despite often flattering to deceive that he is
AK: another of those games where you could see why he is playing at the top of the Championship and not the PL
Tomori: grew in confidence and was fairly impressive in second half, although admittedly helped out by Murphy. Not worried about him.

In all I think we are in the right position - we are an excellent - and excellently managed - top Championship side with two CBs who would be fine in the PL. But we're a long way short of sustainable PL quality. But come the end of Saturday, IF we win we're either top of the league or 8/9 clear of third. Things are good right now

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Huddersfield destroyed us and fair play to them.
but the annoying thing about last night was Newcastle never looked great, we just let them back in and they ground us down.
Im sure I'm not the only one who thought 'if we concede one we will concede two'. Had that feel about it

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
My biggest concern with Hughton. IF we go up I'd be very concerned about him consistently making this mistake time and time again like he did at Norwich

if we go up, we will find it difficult whoever is managing us. and don't forget, sacking hughton proved to be the biggest mistake Norwich ever made

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Stephens had one of his worst games for us in my opinion.

We looked in complete control until Pocognoli's injury. I honestly believe we would have gone on to win if he had not gone off. Whatever gameplan we had went out the window when Tomori came on, which wasn't his fault - but it was clear to me that the rest of the team did not have the same faith in him as they did in Pocognoli.

Proper punch to the gut last night. But I think if most were offered the position we are in now at the start of the season would have taken it in a heartbeat.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Stockdale - 7 - a couple of great saves. Marked down a point for that error
Bruno - 5 - oh dear Saltor. Dived in unnecessarily to concede the corner that led to the jammy goal, then misjudged the flight of the ball for the pass that led to the second. Just ran out of gas
Poco - 6/Tomori - 7 - looked massively out of place but really grew into the game
Duffy - 7 - a strangely off night. Another who tired
Dunk - 8 - the pick of our defence. Countless interceptions and great passing
Stephens - 7 - as with so many, tired after playing well
Sidwell - 8 - MOTM won the battle of the ginger ninjas
Murphy - 7 - really helped tomori grow into the game. Some incicive runs, little end product
Knockaert - 6 - nothing worked tonight
Murray - 5 - a rare occasion where his touch largely failed him
baldock - 6 - a handful again

Kayal - 4 - offered literally nothing. At least look like you can be arsed
March - N/A

Hughton - 4 - allowed the team to sit too deep. Made the wrong substitution. Baldock should have stayed on. I would have taken off Murray for hemed

Correct, the team sat too deep. This is what happens when we play too deep, we get shut down, the players panic and make mistakes.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Stockdale - 7.5
Bruno - 6
Duffy - 6
Dunk - 6
Pog - 7
Murphy - 7
Stephens - 6
Sidwell - 8 MOM a few misplaced passes but appropriately spiteful
Knockers - 6
Murray - 6.5
Baldock - 6.5

Tomori - 7
Kayal - 5
March - N/A

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Stockers - 6.5 - he did pull off some good saves, but that blocked pass out was a shocker, and the attempted punch out that led to the ludicrous equaliser seemed to be a slight lack of communication and should have been cleared better.
Bruno - 7.5 - he seemed to be the only one who kept his head, and touch, after we scored. Could have closed down the nippy Atsu prior to the winner, but when we got the ball to him he didn't fluff his lines as much as those who I do expect more from.
Duffy - 8 - not perfect, but a titan, and showing some good ball skills when under pressure. His passing was better too.
Dunk - 8 - lost the ball foolishly on an occasion, but a quality defender and good passer.
Pocog - 6 - gutted to lose him so early, as our attacking outlet down the left became a one-man show, against 3 Newcies. I'll give Tomori the equal score for how he improved in the second half, but by jingo we need someone fit enough to play there soon who is a left-back and understands how we move as a team. He seemed lost.
Stephens - 4 - tough and sturdy for parts of the second half, but his lack of control of the ball had me quite angry. We weren't being closed down constantly. Of course we're wonderfully brave, but it ires me at times that we try to be only that, rather than the skillful and adept side of footballers we can be.
Sidders - 5 - better than Dale, but even short passes weren't meeting their target and I expect more from him in that way.
Baldock - 6 - up against a quite tough defence, but ran his little heart out.
Murray - 6 - scored, so that's of course good, but, heavens alive his touch and passing can sometimes be atrocious. It seemed to then spread through the team. I felt we needed Hemed on for some of that match, as Murray was being outleapt for much of it.
Knocky - 7 - still a class player who wasn't played into the game enough. He will overdo things and get fancy, but it can't work every time. His flick over the wall for Baldock to slightly scuff his shot, was a classic bit of Knocky magic.
Murphy - 7 - playing on his own for the second half, and much of the first, which looked ever so tricky, but the man is in good form and cuts inside well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here