Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we always bottle the big games?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
We've beaten Huddersfield, Leeds, reading, Sheffield Wednesday x2, Fulham x2 and Norwich (when they were above us) so I have to disagree really. Massive over reaction

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
we needed a second goal and didn't get it

they got lucky with the equaliser and momentum was with them

they made positive substitutions, we didn't
We killed our own momentum because we stopped attacking! I agree with everyone saying it was a lucky/flukey goal but that's going to happen if we don't have any attacking intent to push the opposition back.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Stockdale made some great reaction saves and kept us in it....BUT.....his concentration was poor and let us down. A missed punch (did Murray head it?) from the corner allowed the volley that led to the flukey goal. Before that he lost a casual tackle when he should have gone through the forward and cleared, then he tries to dribble round Gouffan and put the whole defence on edge for the rest of the match.

Lots of sloppy passing let Newcastle back in. As we showed a few times the long ball behind their defence can buy us time and be dangerous.

Between us and Hudds for 2nd now.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
We lost a game of football, still 6 points clear in 2nd place and have a couple of winnable away games coming up, still on course for promotion. Can see us and Newcadtle winning Saturday then 9 points clear

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Massive over reaction

We were managing the game OK, we were running on empty as some players had ran themselves into the ground defensively. The lucky goal ****ed us up psychologically and the ones totally knackered it knocked the stuffing and the running out of them
Spot on - we gave a lot these 2 games and have 3 points to show for it. NSC will always have fans who can't take defeat & post silly knee-jerk shite - usually the ones who start threads too - calm down people.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Yes but that's being disappointed. Throwing toys out of the pram and insulting the team is one way to deal with disappointment.

I'm not 'insulting the team', just stating that in our biggest games at the Amex we have bottled them (not performed anywhere near our potential) and I believe tonight was another example. As I said in my OP I still think we are in a solid position and we need to focus on the upcoming games as they are potentially much more winable.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
It is one game. A lucky Penalty for us and a lucky goal for them. We just need to focus on the games left not the one game we have just lost. Newcastle could easily do us a favour now and beat Huddersfield and Reading.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Yeh just like we bottled the 'Big games' in the last 2 matches at home against Newcastle in the cup? Or Reading on Saturday?

Some of you just like to whinge and moan about everything in life! We are 2nd in the Championship and 6 points clear after losing to top of the table side who have spent over 50 million on players! We lost to an extremely fluky goal after dominating large parts of the game! Get a ****ing grip! Attitudes like yours could well have made the difference to us not going up on Goal Difference last year. Negativity spreads!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
there is a tendency for us to under perform in the 'big games' isn't there? Palace at home twice, play offs vs Derby and Wednesday (although we played well against Weds to be fair), the Derby home game at the end of last season. I can only really think of the 3-0 win against Palace although really we were both likely to finish in the top 6 so it wasn't a 'do or die' game.

I don't know what it is as our home form at the Amex has been consistently good

Its like St Patrick's Day never happened.

Claretnblue

Apr 29, 2016
U have bottled nothing yet in my opinion . U wer unlucky tonight. Much different to the Huddersfield game . 2 points a game average will see u up ... i personally believe if u had been promoted instead of boro last yr u wouldn't be struggling . U score goals ... something that Whiney Karanka can't manage .

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
U have bottled nothing yet in my opinion . U wer unlucky tonight. Much different to the Huddersfield game . 2 points a game average will see u up ... i personally believe if u had been promoted instead of boro last yr u wouldn't be struggling . U score goals ... something that Whiney Karanka can't manage .

Thanks... but please don't remind us of that right now. Boring Boro have disgraced the PL with their dirge football. Pricks.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
All the games people mention as choking include a massive turning point.

1) great save from speroni to top into bar and then they score
2) Wednesday had a freak goal.
3) Derby scored more goals than they had shots on target because of an unlucky deflection (we had overachieved anyway)
4) tonight freak goal (although we did look in a panic at times)

I wonder why we didn't bring on hemed. Glenn was absolute toast after 70 mins. I love stockdale but he made lots of errors tonight. The corner the freak goal c Amex from was going well wide.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Ever since we've moved to the Amex, we always manage to **** up the biggest games. After we went 1-0 up we should have gone for the throat, instead we tried to put 11 men behind the ball for most of the remaning time and got what we deserved. Yes Newcastle's 1st was a bit fortunate but that is going to happen if you keep giving them the ball back and allow them too much space.

I'm not overreacting btw, I still think we're in a healthy position but people on here need to stop banging on about us being 'Champions', we saw them playing tonight and it wasn't us, lets hope we can get over the line in 2nd, hopefully we've got some more winnable games on the horizon.

I agree

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Bottled it?

Newcastle are a very good side with a number of players who really should be in the Premier League. Their keeper made a number of saves at 1-0 and the pressure they exerted eventually led to them getting back in the game (albeit it was a deflected goal).

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Look, tonight was frustrating. No one can deny that. But get a result on Saturday, against a side that have not won in 4, and we end the day in a good position regardless of the Newcastle/Huddersfield game. Hell, we could be 9 points clear of third by the end of Saturday.

D

Deleted member 2719

We lost a game of football, still 6 points clear in 2nd place and have a couple of winnable away games coming up, still on course for promotion. Can see us and Newcadtle winning Saturday then 9 points clear

Don't forget Huddersfield have a game in hand if they win that one, our boys and manager could have flashbacks!

Not to mention the long suffering fans and Chairman.

Claretnblue

Apr 29, 2016
It's gone ... concentrate on smashing whoever is in your way now? It won't get tougher than the geordies! Believe!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here