Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we always bottle the big games?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Ever since we've moved to the Amex, we always manage to **** up the biggest games. After we went 1-0 up we should have gone for the throat, instead we tried to put 11 men behind the ball for most of the remaning time and got what we deserved. Yes Newcastle's 1st was a bit fortunate but that is going to happen if you keep giving them the ball back and allow them too much space.

I'm not overreacting btw, I still think we're in a healthy position but people on here need to stop banging on about us being 'Champions', we saw them playing tonight and it wasn't us, lets hope we can get over the line in 2nd, hopefully we've got some more winnable games on the horizon.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
We bottled it tonight. Simple as that. This squad doesn't have the mental strength to be champions. Bloom is also at fault for a poor January transfer window and it could come back to haunt us.

Because of Huddersfield form, I am totally shitting myself.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Have you seen our record against the top 6 far from bottling it against the big sides. Stuck tonight when should have twisted but looked on par with a very good Newcastle side

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Yes you are. Reading was a big game too. We didn't bottle it - just got a bit of an unlucky break against a great side.

Reading was a big game, tonight was season changing and we made the perfect start... But we didn't see it through for even a draw, that's bottling it unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 2719

Reading was a big game, tonight was season changing and we made the perfect start... But we didn't see it through for even a draw, that's bottling it unfortunately.

Did the players bottle it or the manager bottle it???

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Didn't bottle it, not season changing either way but a win would have been nice and yes you're overreacting.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Massive over reaction

We were managing the game OK, we were running on empty as some players had ran themselves into the ground defensively. The lucky goal ****ed us up psychologically and the ones totally knackered it knocked the stuffing and the running out of them

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'll happily admit our defence went awol in the last twenty but let's not forget their keeper made at least three cracking saves and we had a header off the line right at the start of the second half.

By that token we were unlucky. But yes, no excuse for that sort of defensive display.

Oct 25, 2003
there is a tendency for us to under perform in the 'big games' isn't there? Palace at home twice, play offs vs Derby and Wednesday (although we played well against Weds to be fair), the Derby home game at the end of last season. I can only really think of the 3-0 win against Palace although really we were both likely to finish in the top 6 so it wasn't a 'do or die' game.

I don't know what it is as our home form at the Amex has been consistently good

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
The fans bottled it as much as the players. Went quiet, nervy and edgy after the goal - in relative terms, compared to the opening 20. So blame yourself if anything

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Didn't bottle it, not season changing either way but a win would have been nice and yes you're overreacting.

I believe it is, if we'd won tonight we'd have been 4 clear of Newcastle and 9 clear of Huddersfield. Now Newcastle are 2 ahead of us and brimming with confidence. It's probably us and Huddersfield fighting it out for 2nd place and the form they are in i'm not feeling great atm.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
We lost a tight game that could have gone either way. Grow some balls, take this defeat on the chin, stop sulking and roar the boys on to the promotion that they and we deserve.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
we needed a second goal and didn't get it

they got lucky with the equaliser and momentum was with them

they made positive substitutions, we didn't

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
there is a tendency for us to under perform in the 'big games' isn't there? Palace at home twice, play offs vs Derby and Wednesday (although we played well against Weds to be fair), the Derby home game at the end of last season. I can only really think of the 3-0 win against Palace although really we were both likely to finish in the top 6 so it wasn't a 'do or die' game.

I don't know what it is as our home form at the Amex has been consistently good

That's what I'm getting at. Our overall form is very good at the Amex but in the make or break games we don't deliver.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I wouldn't say we 'bottled' it as such. The first goal was flukey as anything and we were asking for it when Kayal came on for Baldock at 1-1 when they had Murphy, Diame and Perez pushing forward. We may as well have had a corpse up front, Murray was totally knackered which allowed them to push more men forward and ping long balls forward in the hope that one would get through when they were under no pressure at the back. Poor substitutions cost us the game in my view.

Having said that, the wayward passes from experienced professionals like Sidwell, Stephens, Stockdale and Bruno were very concerning, even if they didn't directly cost us the game.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I believe it is, if we'd won tonight we'd have been 4 clear of Newcastle and 9 clear of Huddersfield. Now Newcastle are 2 ahead of us and brimming with confidence. It's probably us and Huddersfield fighting it out for 2nd place and the form they are in i'm not feeling great atm.

Yes but that's being disappointed. Throwing toys out of the pram and insulting the team is one way to deal with disappointment.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Utter bollocks - we just dismantled Reading in a massive game. Ridiculous comment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here