Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commute Advice

Commute Advice

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking for a bit of NSC's sage wisdom here and I can't find any good info elsewhere.

I'm starting a new job soon and I wondered if any of you travel daily from Brighton to London Bridge. I understand that the thameslink service timings are terrible so I will need a season ticket that allows me to travel on any service.

What times do you get the train from brighton to get into london bridge in time for work? Where do you change? I need to be there by around 8:30 each morning.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      I do Burgess Hill to London Bridge 2-3 times a week. Thameslink trains are probably better than Southern at the moment, but do seem quite prone to random cancellation. Getting on at Brighton means you'll be able to get a seat going up and several of the Thameslink trains go direct to London Bridge so no need to change .

If you get one that trundles through London (via Blackfriars etc) then you'll need to change, East Croydon is your best bet then as more trains for LB stop there. You'll be lucky to get a seat there though (it's only 15 mins or so to LB though so no big deal).

Going home is usually more of a pain - can be a bit of a scrum at LB, best to get there 10 mins before your train is due to go and get used to where the doors will be if you want to sit.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

1 Not allowed!
      Fortunately I WFH three days a week, trust me commuting is shit at present and trains rarely run on time but you now always get a chirpy announcement from the new on-board supervisor.
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I do Burgess Hill to London Bridge 2-3 times a week. Thameslink trains are probably better than Southern at the moment, but do seem quite prone to random cancellation. Getting on at Brighton means you'll be able to get a seat going up and several of the Thameslink trains go direct to London Bridge so no need to change .

If you get one that trundles through London (via Blackfriars etc) then you'll need to change, East Croydon is your best bet then as more trains for LB stop there. You'll be lucky to get a seat there though (it's only 15 mins or so to LB though so no big deal).

Going home is usually more of a pain - can be a bit of a scrum at LB, best to get there 10 mins before your train is due to go and get used to where the doors will be if you want to sit.
      Thanks for this

The problem i'm seeing with the thameslink services direct from brighton is that you either get there at 8:48 (far too late) or 7:48 (far too early).

I've found that there is a Hove service which comes from littlehampton at 7:10, does anybody get this service? Is it usually packed by the time it gets to hove?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      Fortunately I WFH three days a week, trust me commuting is shit at present and trains rarely run on time but you now always get a chirpy announcement from the new on-board supervisor.
      Thankfully I only need to do it for around a month

1 Not allowed!
      Move to London.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
      Harry!Harry!Harry!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grummit View Post
      Move to London.

That's the plan Leo, just need to commute for the first month unfortunately.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      You should look into getting a ticket to St Pancras. You can get off and on at LB. And you can use it on both Thameslink and Southern. I do that from Hassocks every day. Pretty sure the price is the same as Thameslink only to LB. But you should double check that. Gives you a lot more flexibility. And means you can walk along the river and get on at Blackfriars if the LB trains are shagged. Or you fancy a beer or three that way...

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by brightn'ove View Post
      I'm looking for a bit of NSC's sage wisdom here and I can't find any good info elsewhere.

I'm starting a new job soon and I wondered if any of you travel daily from Brighton to London Bridge. I understand that the thameslink service timings are terrible so I will need a season ticket that allows me to travel on any service.

What times do you get the train from brighton to get into london bridge in time for work? Where do you change? I need to be there by around 8:30 each morning.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Advice?

Don't do it.
      Either that wallpaper goes or I do

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by brightn'ove View Post
      That's the plan Leo, just need to commute for the first month unfortunately.
      Fair enough! Good luck Matt.

Harry!Harry!Harry!