Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Wagner and Garry Monk banned by FA after touchline altercation

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Give over: many of their fans are convinced the FA have deliberately timed this hearing to ensure he misses the Newcastle game :lolol:

I believe the manager is allowed in the dressing room before the match and at half time in these circumstances, so really, it shouldn't make all that much difference to them.

Toungue in cheek... And no didn't say it makes much difference but could make A difference - these fine margins and all that...

Reminds me of something I've often wondered about.

Why do pretty much all rugby coaches watch games from the stands, and pretty much all football coaches from the dugouts? I know Steve McLaren likes to watch a half from the stands sometimes, but he's in a tiny minority.

Is there something about football which means it's more effective to have a man on the side, or something about rugby which means it's less useful? I think in rugby they have some coaching staff on the sidelines, but the important stuff seems to be relayed to them from the coach sitting upstairs. Tradition? Has any football club ever tried having the main man consistently away from the action?

I'd imagine because there's more training ground set play stuff in Rugby but that's a pure guess. Obviously every club now has several stats analysts in the stands in football.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Makes you wonder why we have a technical area as managers like Wagner are always sprinting down the touchline.
If they were banned every time they came out of their area there wouldn't be any confrontation

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Reminds me of something I've often wondered about.

Why do pretty much all rugby coaches watch games from the stands, and pretty much all football coaches from the dugouts? I know Steve McLaren likes to watch a half from the stands sometimes, but he's in a tiny minority.

Is there something about football which means it's more effective to have a man on the side, or something about rugby which means it's less useful? I think in rugby they have some coaching staff on the sidelines, but the important stuff seems to be relayed to them from the coach sitting upstairs. Tradition? Has any football club ever tried having the main man consistently away from the action?

Didn't Steve Coppell mostly watch our first half from the stands and the second half from the touchline.

It's always seemed a much more sensible idea doing as Coppell did. He can see clearly what formations etc are working and what to do to turn it around if necessary in the second half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here