Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephens Yellow Card

C

CT1

That's ****ing unbelievable - proper Mike Dean work that. Watch the ref when the first 'foul' is committed - he 100% is not looking at it and doesn't see it - he sees the fella fall in the floor but most def doesn't see the contact. He doesn't consult anyone. He has GUESSED what happened and GUESSED the severity of it. Ludicrous.

I agree with [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION] - common sense is the most important law of football and this particular unlikely event is a great example of that. If the player doesn't know he's on one yellow it's simply not fair.

How to you know he hasn't consulted his linesmen through the head-set?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
So the game has to stop with a red being given?

Seem to remember a handball on the line in a game a while back. Player following up put it in the net before the ref blew up.
Decision: no goal as advantage couldn't be played after a red card offence. Penalty was missed if I recall correctly (otherwise I suspect I wouldn't have remembered it).

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The ref spoke with Dale, presumably to tell him he will receive a yellow card for his challenge.

If he does something else after being informed then a second yellow is all he could expect

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So the game has to stop with a red being given?

I think so, yes, unless to stop play there and then would deny a clear goalscoring opportunity, in which case they'd try to allow the advantage. Pretty sound basis for this interpretation of the rules, if you think about it. Say:

-player A commits a dangerous foul on player B, which is clearly worthy of a red card
-referee plays advantage as the ball bounces free and player B's team are in a great position to attack
-fifteen seconds later, at the conclusion of the same phase of play, player A chases back and clears a goal bound shot from player B's team off the line, when he wouldn't have been on the pitch had the referee sent him off originally.

Going back to the scenario mentioned above with Stephens, it's recommended that the referee, when playing advantage following a foul worthy of a caution, tells the player as soon as possible whilst the game is continuing that he'll be booked the next time the game stops (which it seems the official in the Reading game did do). This is deemed enough of a warning to the player to hopefully ensure he doesn't commit a further cautionable offence whilst awaiting the physical appearance of the yellow card for the original foul.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
That's ****ing unbelievable - proper Mike Dean work that. Watch the ref when the first 'foul' is committed - he 100% is not looking at it and doesn't see it - he sees the fella fall in the floor but most def doesn't see the contact. He doesn't consult anyone. He has GUESSED what happened and GUESSED the severity of it. Ludicrous.

I agree with [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION] - common sense is the most important law of football and this particular unlikely event is a great example of that. If the player doesn't know he's on one yellow it's simply not fair.

Weird decision that, the first offence is a straight red...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The ref spoke with Dale, presumably to tell him he will receive a yellow card for his challenge.

If he does something else after being informed then a second yellow is all he could expect

Definitely yes. A booking means you can stay on the pitch and influence the game but being sent off means you have no further influence. Imagine the outcry if a ref was able to play advantage which broke down and the player that should have been sent off then scores a winner!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
How to you know he hasn't consulted his linesmen through the head-set?

I don't for sure but it seemed all his work - happened very quickly and he got card straight out.

Edit - and the small matter if the fact the Lino isn't looking anywhere near the incident so he's my assumption above is correct :lol:

Weird decision that, the first offence is a straight red...

I'd need another angle and a clearer visor. My initial thought was the first wasn't that bad but the second is a bad challenge.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Seem to remember a handball on the line in a game a while back. Player following up put it in the net before the ref blew up.
Decision: no goal as advantage couldn't be played after a red card offence. Penalty was missed if I recall correctly (otherwise I suspect I wouldn't have remembered it).

Was it Uruguay World Cup?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I don't for sure but it seemed all his work - happened very quickly and he got card straight out.

Edit - and the small matter if the fact the Lino isn't looking anywhere near the incident so he's my assumption above is correct :lol:

I'd need another angle and a clearer visor. My initial thought was the first wasn't that bad but the second is a bad challenge.

It's an off the ball incident, he either stamps down his leg or doesn't. Red card or nothing in my eyes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here