Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In our seats for GOSBTS?

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
This, guy behind me on Saturday belting out "Going up to Win the Cup" at the top of his voice, oblivious to the words in front of him on the big screen was awful. Makes you wonder what these people are going to sing if/when we do actually go up.

It's s generational thing ... to many that's what they have always sung since the Goldstone days. Some habits die hard ! :)

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Absolutely. I hate it when the stands empty. It's fine when we're shit as it's a way of showing disapproval, but as you say after a performance like Reading the players deserve more than to walk off to a smattering of applause from the few thousand die-hards who've not only stuck it out to the bitter end but have stayed for a few minutes afterwards to show their appreciation. And whilst I accept that some have valid reasons for leaving early I simply refuse to believe that all of them have 200 mile journeys in front of them or have to get the kids up early for Sunday School.

And yes, I know this topic has come up once or twice before!
I try to not let it bother me....but it does. Of course its everyone's choice and it really shouldn't bother me.. but it does. I just wonder what would it take, what situation would we need to be in to not see it.. I have this recurring nightmare that we will win a Wembley final, and will break with tradition that dictates that one end is full, the other empty - both will be empty.. we all have 200 mile journey's to make, I will miss my connection etc etc..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And whilst I accept that some have valid reasons for leaving early I simply refuse to believe that all of them have 200 mile journeys in front of them or have to get the kids up early for Sunday School.

It's a bit like a council putting any sort of restrictions on driving (bus/cycle lanes, pedestrianisation etc). Letters pages on newspapers and online comments are dominated by people asking how plumbers are meant to carry tools or the disabled get around, as if most of the people on the road are plumbers,

I didn't used to be wound up by JLEs but I'm up and down in my seat like a jack in the box in the last 10 minutes. If it's not people in my row, it's those in the row in front.

I'm happy to report that Lord B, who's two rows in front of me, is there at the end.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
ESL includes the Family Stand and a lot of early leavers (especially for evening KOs) have kids in tow.

Know of a few families that left early specifically to try and avoid the Reading numpties at the station as didn't want to get caught up in anything with their kids there. However doubt that accounts for large numbers on Saturday.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
It's a trade off, isn't it? Leave on eighty five minutes then over the course of a league season you'll miss around two hours of football - plus any injury time. If we say around five minutes per game, that doubles to around four hours of football.

Against that, if travelling by rail, staying to the end and leaving in the rush usually ends up with around half an hour stood in a queue. That's eleven and a half hours of queuing over a season, sometimes in the pissing rain. If you're older, have a weak bladder or other infirmity, have kids - particularly at evening games - or just cannae be arsed standing in a queue, then missing the last few minutes MAY seem like a fair trade off to avoid the queues.

You pay your money etc, etc and I can't see the situation changing unless the transport system can somehow be made more efficient.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I

and I can't see the situation changing unless the transport system can somehow be made more efficient.

Exactly right. But it's the one thing that the club don't appear particularly bothered by. I've been suggesting since The Amex opened that there are several ways to improve pre-match and post match transport.

I've asked for a couple of years if a regular meeting between people using different modes of transport (train, P&R, car, coach, bike, foot etc.) could be arranged, but haven't got anywhere.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
That is taking over now, but the one most get wrong, is the first line of the chorus,

Sussex, Sussex by the sea

THEN the second line is
Good old Sussex by the sea.
And even at the Goldstone Days show, the on-screen words had "Good Old Sussex by the Sea" twice.

Okay, so that's wrong, but no matter! It's so good that an increasing number of people are now singing "Stand or Fall".

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I
Does anyone actually sing the proper words?

YES. I noticed that more people belted out the lines STAND OR FALL on Saturday to almost make a point to those who sing the wrong words. Stand or fall is the best line as well IMHO.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
So, having been lectured about leaving early......the obvious follow up has to be get seated earlier......what world do some of these posters live in ? Some of us rely on clear roads for the 115 miles we drive (my choice) to get to the Amex, not worry about whether I'm in my seat for Sussex by the Sea !!

I leave Swindon at 230-3pm in case I encounter any delays on the roads, I have arrived at 6PM and again just on kick off, No way could I time my journey to arrive exactly at KO, I pay a lot of money for my season ticket and would be really hacked off to miss a game after traveling 120 miles

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seeing as how the club tends to treat cup competitions with such disdain nowadays, can we maybe change the proper footballing words from 'Going Up To Win The Cup' to a more realistic 'Going Up To Win The League'? :albion:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I sing 'Going up to win the cup' as I have all my life. Not going to let a few different words on a screen change the habit of a lifetime! Plus I always sing the descant on the last 'by the sea'. Don't really care what anyone else thinks or sings.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I sing 'Going up to win the cup' as I have all my life. Not going to let a few different words on a screen change the habit of a lifetime! Plus I always sing the descant on the last 'by the sea'. Don't really care what anyone else thinks or sings.

It's not just because it's 'on a screen' it's the feckin song:facepalm:

There's still the clappy supersonic gawan up tah win tha cup chant you can enjoy at the game.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I leave Swindon at 230-3pm in case I encounter any delays on the roads, I have arrived at 6PM and again just on kick off, No way could I time my journey to arrive exactly at KO, I pay a lot of money for my season ticket and would be really hacked off to miss a game after traveling 120 miles

Same here. I leave Stratford-upon-Avon (155 miles from the Amex) at ~14:00, park at Hassocks, take the Seagulls Travel coach to the Amex and (barring any M23/M27 gridlock) generally arrive in good time for food, drink and GOSBTS. 2 hours is my best journey time to Sussex and 4 hours my worst, so I always assume the worst and anything else is a bonus.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
It's not just because it's 'on a screen' it's the feckin song:facepalm:

There's still the clappy supersonic gawan up tah win tha cup chant you can enjoy at the game.

Until I sat in another seat for a cup game I did not realise that anyone sung the words on the screen. I have only ever heard going up and win the cup all my life. It is just a few new people sing it?

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
This, guy behind me on Saturday belting out "Going up to Win the Cup" at the top of his voice, oblivious to the words in front of him on the big screen was awful. Makes you wonder what these people are going to sing if/when we do actually go up.

I always sang "cup" at Withdean as did those around me and I still sing the 'cup version' now regardless of what a big telly says.

So far I've managed to avoid any confrontation with other fans or being thrown out - so I think it's OK.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I always sang "cup" at Withdean as did those around me and I still sing the 'cup version' now regardless of what a big telly says.

So far I've managed to avoid any confrontation with other fans or being thrown out - so I think it's OK.

I understand why people sing 'to win the cup' as that was the Norman Wisdom version that most of us have grown up with. So it is ok. But it would also sound a hell of a lot better if we all sang the same thing. As 'stand or fall' is a much better and more emotional line anyway, I don't see why people would object to changing.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Until I sat in another seat for a cup game I did not realise that anyone sung the words on the screen. I have only ever heard going up and win the cup all my life. It is just a few new people sing it?

Are you referring to pre home match? If so I think you'll find it's becoming a majority singing the actual words to the song, somewhat miraculously.

If you're referring to the chant mostly sung at away games, then we generally get the verse out (to said same song) but usually the supersonic followup includes your favourite line.

Times change, embrace it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here