Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In our seats for GOSBTS?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The only downside to Saturday was how many seats were empty in the East (and to a lesser extent the North) Stand before the end of the game on Saturday.

Yes, there are some who need to get away as they have either a long way to travel, of have plans for that particular evening, but to see so many empty seats was IMO disappointing.

The players deserve better.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
The only downside to Saturday was how many seats were empty in the East (and to a lesser extent the North) Stand before the end of the game on Saturday.

Yes, there are some who need to get away as they have either a long way to travel, of have plans for that particular evening, but to see so many empty seats was IMO disappointing.

Unbelievable over half had gone in the East Stand by the end :-( was utter ridiculous

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Live and let live ? ???

Yes absolutely live and let live but I am working on the assumption that we collectively want our team to do well and so might try and make a bit of an extra effort.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This. Atmosphere was decent v. Reading from the start despite a fairly slow beginning to the match - afternoon results and 5.30pm KO helped.

For Newcastle we need to up it to the next level. Can't quite be the same as the Massive Play Off Semi-Final home leg but should be getting there.

More people getting to their seats slightly earlier than they normally do for a 7.45pm KO would be a good start...

We need to bear in mind too, that the away support is going to be much bigger, and much much more vociferous than it was on Saturday. They make a lot of noise those Geordies.

Be nice too, if we all same the same songs. and in time with one another . Sometimes it seems that even different sections of the North Stand. are out of sync with one another.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

That's reminded me of something, having made the same observation as you. Is the exodus from the WSU the same as from the East? Sitting where I (and you) do, I wonder if people are leaving the WSU in the same volume and we just don't notice.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
That's reminded me of something, having made the same observation as you. Is the exodus from the WSU the same as from the East? Sitting where I (and you) do, I wonder if people are leaving the WSU in the same volume and we just don't notice.

Yes, they are. And for 'half', read 'a few'.

Its a few in the East, just as it is in the West and everywhere else. All this 'better stand / better fans' bullshit ****s me right off, frankly. (As you know) I pretty much alternate between the ESL and the West. There is absolutely no discernible difference at all in the % of folk who get up to leave (very) shortly before the end.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

From my seat in ESU the exodus is most pronounced in SW corner and along lower West. Saturday was one of the most JLEiest games I've seen this season, unfortunately.

But obviously I can't see my own stand.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
We need to bear in mind too, that the away support is going to be much bigger, and much much more vociferous than it was on Saturday. They make a lot of noise those Geordies.

Be nice too, if we all same the same songs. and in time with one another . Sometimes it seems that even different sections of the North Stand. are out of sync with one another.

or sing different songs on purpose.......

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
They don't leave WSU in anything like the same numbers. It would be amazing if they did.

ESL includes the Family Stand and a lot of early leavers (especially for evening KOs) have kids in tow.

Also, WSU seats were among the first to sell at The Amex - to Withdean STHs and their connections. I won't bother making explicit the obvious implication.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sounds pretty much in time here and you can hear the wall being thumped.

[tweet]835810183968403456[/tweet]

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Unbelievable over half had gone in the East Stand by the end :-( was utter ridiculous

Maybe because there were a good number of Reading fans in the East. 4 sat directly in front of me. They had the good grace to make very little noise, but gave themselves away towards the end when a rare Reading chance came along.
Not very surprised they left early, at 3-0 down...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A reminder, should it be needed, of what David Blunkett said about the play-off semi-final second leg:

“I’ve never experienced anything, in the many years I’ve been a Sheffield Wednesday supporter, like the first quarter of that game last night. It was a forcefield. It was a forcefield on the pitch and off it. The sound was unbelievable, the emotion was so high that we were all literally shaking."

Same again tomorrow night.
It would be nice, but that Sheff Wed game was shit or bust, everything had come down to that final match. The stakes won't be nearly so high tomorrow; it's not a Cup game so we can lose and still get promoted. I'm expecting it to be more like Reading (which was about 7 or 8 out of 10)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Absolutely. I hate it when the stands empty. It's fine when we're shit as it's a way of showing disapproval, but as you say after a performance like Reading the players deserve more than to walk off to a smattering of applause from the few thousand die-hards who've not only stuck it out to the bitter end but have stayed for a few minutes afterwards to show their appreciation. And whilst I accept that some have valid reasons for leaving early I simply refuse to believe that all of them have 200 mile journeys in front of them or have to get the kids up early for Sunday School.

And yes, I know this topic has come up once or twice before!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Does anyone stand near the lad/lady who smacks the sign in the North Stand, to get the timeless classic clapping chant going, often at a corner or just after a goal??? I love that he/she does it, but they only need to do it once to get the crowd going, and then let the natural rhythm of the chant take over.. It's impossible to smack the sign quick enough a second/third time and the chant becomes disjointed!! Its a small bit of detail, but a great chant loses impact..... just one of those things that bugs me.. if I had a sign near me I would have a go - honest!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here