Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In our seats for GOSBTS?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Depends on Southern Fail ? ???

Just what I thought. Start out 45 minutes before normal and still just made it before KO. I thought it might be another taxi job at one time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Having two versions ends up causing the whole thing to wither a bit as neither is properly belted out due to people's fear of being different to those nearby. Stick to what is on the screen ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I always sang "cup" at Withdean as did those around me and I still sing the 'cup version' now regardless of what a big telly says.

So far I've managed to avoid any confrontation with other fans or being thrown out - so I think it's OK.

So have I but why not change to the original and better version the club are trying to unify everyone with? Would sound a lot better if everyone just sang the same version underlined by the club

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Actually I think it is 'Oh Sussex, Sussex by the sea..'

But yes I agree, most people just seem to repeat the same line twice.

They also like to insert another 'gawan up tah win tha cup' in the line that is supposed to be 'and i'll sing you a song as we march along..'

That's the line some of us have been singing since the 70's, we ain't gonna change now!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Having two versions ends up causing the whole thing to wither a bit as neither is properly belted out due to people's fear of being different to those nearby. Stick to what is on the screen ?

Not just what is on the screen but also what the PROPER words are. I am not sure why people are intent on being difficult, sing the 'cup' version when we sing it during a match by all means but as the teams come out it surely makes sense to sing the proper and ORIGINAL words in unison?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I noticed that even for a crunch game like Reading that the stands were probably only two thirds full for GOSBTS. Against the Geordies it would be great if we are all in place to belt it out. Can you neck that last drop of Harveys by 7:35? :drink::drink:

Sadly not it has become traditon i make my way to my seat once the players are on the pitch.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sadly not it has become traditon i make my way to my seat once the players are on the pitch.

Sadly you and thousands of others. Football is secondary to food beverages and getting home early. Be nice on occasion for the players to get the support their efforts deserve by more people being in the stands for KOs & FT. Also less annoying for the very many who are / get disrupted (as many continually complain of on here so don't have a go!)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Sadly you and thousands of others. Football is secondary to food beverages and getting home early. Be nice on occasion for the players to get the support their efforts deserve by more people being in the stands for KOs & FT. Also less annoying for the very many who are / get disrupted (as many continually complain of on here so don't have a go!)

You want to keep your ****ing opinions to yourself. Who said i missed Kick off and im sure i support the team more than you. You sad tosser. The players need me. They get that im pretty sure i sing more than you make more of an atmosphere and show more support. Just because i wait until the players are out until i take my seat doesnt mean im not in the ground or on the piss. Superstition is all so pipe down an get back in your box.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You want to keep your ****ing opinions to yourself. Who said i missed Kick off and im sure i support the team more than you. You sad tosser. The players need me. They get that im pretty sure i sing more than you make more of an atmosphere and show more support. Just because i wait until the players are out until i take my seat doesnt mean im not in the ground or on the piss. Superstition is all so pipe down an get back in your box.

I didn't say you did. But your over reaction and presumed guilt is telling. Now f uck off fool. Go on, off you f uck...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That's the line some of us have been singing since the 70's, we ain't gonna change now!

You're responding to a post I made where I hadn't criticised what words you use for the chorus of the song, as i'm well aware of how stubborn people are about it. I was criticising those who use the same words for the 7th line of the sodding verse, which makes them sound like absolute bellends.

Regarding what you choose to sing while banging out the chorus, couldn't give a stuff. What I will say is it's been nearly 30 years for me and well over 60 years for my old man and we both have managed to change to what the club are trying to unify us with.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Does anyone stand near the lad/lady who smacks the sign in the North Stand, to get the timeless classic clapping chant going, often at a corner or just after a goal??? I love that he/she does it, but they only need to do it once to get the crowd going, and then let the natural rhythm of the chant take over.. It's impossible to smack the sign quick enough a second/third time and the chant becomes disjointed!! Its a small bit of detail, but a great chant loses impact..... just one of those things that bugs me.. if I had a sign near me I would have a go - honest!

This with bells on

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I understand why people sing 'to win the cup' as that was the Norman Wisdom version that most of us have grown up with. So it is ok. But it would also sound a hell of a lot better if we all sang the same thing. As 'stand or fall' is a much better and more emotional line anyway, I don't see why people would object to changing.

No it wasn't! The Norman Wisdom version was "Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup!" The 'to win the cup' was a 'temporary' change for the Cup Final. It doesn't make any sense now and I can't believe people still sing it 'because they always have'. How ****ing thick are they?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'll probably be a shivering wreck on the concourse unsure whether to sing the fan's words or the corporate version. Thank God for Harvey's.
Let's just BELT out all versions.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I leave Swindon at 230-3pm in case I encounter any delays on the roads, I have arrived at 6PM and again just on kick off, No way could I time my journey to arrive exactly at KO, I pay a lot of money for my season ticket and would be really hacked off to miss a game after traveling 120 miles

agreed, exactly what I do.........just making a point that we don't all live in BN !

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This with bells on
Is it really a problem in the NS...? Sounds great from WSU. Everyone knows the right tempo for the follow-up clapping and just goes for it - don't they...?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Is it really a problem in the NS...? Sounds great from WSU. Everyone knows the right tempo for the follow-up clapping and just goes for it - don't they...?

Of course its not a big problem.. but as you say everyone knows the right tempo for the follow-up so no need to try and keep going on the sign.. Glad it sounds OK, but in the NS definitely loses some momentum as those closest to the sign go with that tempo for 2nd/3rd time, whilst others have gone on... would rather have it as it is than not at all, but looking to polish a gem!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Of course its not a big problem.. but as you say everyone knows the right tempo for the follow-up so no need to try and keep going on the sign.. Glad it sounds OK, but in the NS definitely loses some momentum as those closest to the sign go with that tempo for 2nd/3rd time, whilst others have gone on... would rather have it as it is than not at all, but looking to polish a gem!
:) It certainly is a gem. With all stands in synch the noise down on the pitch must be deafening.

While we are on polishing gems...

The popularity of newer chants is great and I love all of the ones that have gained traction recently - but it does take away from frequency and loudness of a few of my older favourites...

With a classic North v South clash tonight it would be nice to get a massive "We Are Brighton..." chant going at some point and also, traditional when on the telly, "Hark Now Hear...." (just to let them know we still care...).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here