Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 84
  1. #41

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by crookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This, guy behind me on Saturday belting out "Going up to Win the Cup" at the top of his voice, oblivious to the words in front of him on the big screen was awful. Makes you wonder what these people are going to sing if/when we do actually go up.
    It's s generational thing ... to many that's what they have always sung since the Goldstone days. Some habits die hard !
    And Boulder never got a sniff !

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #42

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brovion View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Absolutely. I hate it when the stands empty. It's fine when we're shit as it's a way of showing disapproval, but as you say after a performance like Reading the players deserve more than to walk off to a smattering of applause from the few thousand die-hards who've not only stuck it out to the bitter end but have stayed for a few minutes afterwards to show their appreciation. And whilst I accept that some have valid reasons for leaving early I simply refuse to believe that all of them have 200 mile journeys in front of them or have to get the kids up early for Sunday School.

      And yes, I know this topic has come up once or twice before!
      I try to not let it bother me....but it does. Of course its everyone's choice and it really shouldn't bother me.. but it does. I just wonder what would it take, what situation would we need to be in to not see it.. I have this recurring nightmare that we will win a Wembley final, and will break with tradition that dictates that one end is full, the other empty - both will be empty.. we all have 200 mile journey's to make, I will miss my connection etc etc..
    • #43
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Une oasis d'horreur dans un désert d'ennui
      Posts
      20,847


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brovion View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      And whilst I accept that some have valid reasons for leaving early I simply refuse to believe that all of them have 200 mile journeys in front of them or have to get the kids up early for Sunday School.
      It's a bit like a council putting any sort of restrictions on driving (bus/cycle lanes, pedestrianisation etc). Letters pages on newspapers and online comments are dominated by people asking how plumbers are meant to carry tools or the disabled get around, as if most of the people on the road are plumbers,

      I didn't used to be wound up by JLEs but I'm up and down in my seat like a jack in the box in the last 10 minutes. If it's not people in my row, it's those in the row in front.

      I'm happy to report that Lord B, who's two rows in front of me, is there at the end.
    • #44
      Members
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Posts
      231


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Moshe Gariani View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      ESL includes the Family Stand and a lot of early leavers (especially for evening KOs) have kids in tow.
      Know of a few families that left early specifically to try and avoid the Reading numpties at the station as didn't want to get caught up in anything with their kids there. However doubt that accounts for large numbers on Saturday.
    • #45
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Sunny Sussex, occasionally Leith
      Posts
      119


      0 Not allowed!
      It's a trade off, isn't it? Leave on eighty five minutes then over the course of a league season you'll miss around two hours of football - plus any injury time. If we say around five minutes per game, that doubles to around four hours of football.

      Against that, if travelling by rail, staying to the end and leaving in the rush usually ends up with around half an hour stood in a queue. That's eleven and a half hours of queuing over a season, sometimes in the pissing rain. If you're older, have a weak bladder or other infirmity, have kids - particularly at evening games - or just cannae be arsed standing in a queue, then missing the last few minutes MAY seem like a fair trade off to avoid the queues.

      You pay your money etc, etc and I can't see the situation changing unless the transport system can somehow be made more efficient.
      Every journey of a thousand miles begins with a single rail replacement bus service.
    • #46
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Location
      saaf of the water
      Posts
      7,116


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sussexscots View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I

      and I can't see the situation changing unless the transport system can somehow be made more efficient.
      Exactly right. But it's the one thing that the club don't appear particularly bothered by. I've been suggesting since The Amex opened that there are several ways to improve pre-match and post match transport.

      I've asked for a couple of years if a regular meeting between people using different modes of transport (train, P&R, car, coach, bike, foot etc.) could be arranged, but haven't got anywhere.
      Thanks Robbie - one day we'll name a stand after you.
    • #47
      Members Albion my Albion's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Darlington, UK
      Posts
      1,976


      0 Not allowed!
      My favourite version is where a computer reads it.


      https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...be&action=view
      too = to a higher degree than is desirable, permissible, or possible; excessively, in addition; also.
      to = used to indicate the place, person, or thing that someone or something moves toward, used to indicate the place where someone participates in a particular activity, used to indicate the direction of something
    • #48
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Location
      Shoreham
      Posts
      2,967


      0 Not allowed!
      I
      Does anyone actually sing the proper words?
    • #49
      Peripatetic Gilliver's Travels's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Brighton Marina Village
      Posts
      2,521


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      That is taking over now, but the one most get wrong, is the first line of the chorus,

      Sussex, Sussex by the sea

      THEN the second line is
      Good old Sussex by the sea.
      And even at the Goldstone Days show, the on-screen words had "Good Old Sussex by the Sea" twice.

      Okay, so that's wrong, but no matter! It's so good that an increasing number of people are now singing "Stand or Fall".
    • #50
      LUZZING chairs about Wilko's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2003
      Location
      Madrid
      Posts
      8,189


      4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Rogero View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I
      Does anyone actually sing the proper words?
      YES. I noticed that more people belted out the lines STAND OR FALL on Saturday to almost make a point to those who sing the wrong words. Stand or fall is the best line as well IMHO.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •