Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beram Kayal... what's going on?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The two current midfielders are not exactly prolific though are they, with the exception of Sidwell's long range effort of course.

That's not my point though - there will always be defensive/holding midfielders who don't score many. Kayal seems to get in decent goalscoring positions but fails to convert.

I can't be bothered to check, but I would imagine Stephens has been far more prolific for us than Beram.

But, look, I'm not trying to run him down - he's been great for us, and will continue to be so. I just think that Albion fans generally hold him in higher regard than those outside the club for whom Stephens has always been seen as the better player.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Oh, I'm absolutely not saying he's a bad player as he's clearly not. The only real fault I would level at him, and it is being pedantic, is I've never felt he's weighed in with quite enough goals.

In some ways it reminds me of Dean Hammond in that he often seems to get in decent positions, but his finishing lets him down.

Anyway, it's all good. King Kayal was unavailable to us and we kept marching on. He's back now and ready to get stuck in when called upon.

All our central midfielders don't score enough. Not just Kayal.

As for Dean Hammond that's a pretty bad comparison. Hammond scored quite a few for us. More than most

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
All our central midfielders don't score enough. Not just Kayal.

As for Dean Hammond that's a pretty bad comparison. Hammond scored quite a few for us. More than most

Bearing in mind that our goal difference is +31 and we have 4 players who are already in double figures I respectfully suggest that you're being a bit picky. It's not as if we're relying on only 1 player to get us the goals is it?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That's not my point though - there will always be defensive/holding midfielders who don't score many. Kayal seems to get in decent goalscoring positions but fails to convert.

I can't be bothered to check, but I would imagine Stephens has been far more prolific for us than Beram.

But, look, I'm not trying to run him down - he's been great for us, and will continue to be so. I just think that Albion fans generally hold him in higher regard than those outside the club for whom Stephens has always been seen as the better player.

Stephens makes whatever midfield partner he plays with look better than they are. Not saying they aren't good already, I rate Kayal hugely.

Nobody had much criticism to level at Norwood during his consistent spell in midfield with Dale, until he's played without him. The resounding exception to prove the rule is obviously massive away.

Thing I like about Kayal is he gives us attacking dimension through the middle, but like you said he is often quite wasteful when he himself gets into good positions. It seems like Chris is quite prepared to leave that to our wide men and front men though, and have two warrior types in CM.

One thing is for certain, Sidwell can't play every game so one of Kayal/Norwood will be coming in for the Forest/Rotherham games, will be interesting to see who it is. I think it will probably be Kayal, he looked ok against Cardiff.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Bearing in mind that our goal difference is +31 and we have 4 players who are already in double figures I respectfully suggest that you're being a bit picky. It's not as if we're relying on only 1 player to get us the goals is it?

Not sure why you posted this if i'm honest. I was simply quoting Bozza. Was i being picky ? no.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

I would agree that Stephens is definitely better in front of goal. Kayal's shooting, in particular from range is woeful. I still rate him very highly though, I think we've been very fortunate with the fitness of Sidwell thus far.. I know he's class but he's 34 now and given that a lot of teams play 3 in midfield vs our 2 I was very concerned when Kayal got injured; With the number of games that can be played in a short space of time.I still think he'll have a big role to play for the rest of the season.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
As I've said before, it seems Kayal is held in higher regard by Albion fans than by anyone else.

Yes, he's good but I don't think he's THAT good, and this season has illustrated that we can do just fine without him. He's barely kicked a ball since September yet we're top of the table. I suspect many would have said we'd struggle without him for so long.

Certainly the form of Sidwell and Norwood has covered things very nicely, He still has the edge on them though in my opinion.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's a touch more serious than that.

Poc spent a lot of the second half holding his inner right thigh.
Who has since tweet words to the effect of 'now it's recovery time'.

I am not phased by that................Apparently Tomori is a ''right good player'' - I know Lincoln springs to mind for most fans but the lad in training, he is doing well.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Have to say, I'm a bit disappointed about the lack of game time for Kayal - a player who many when thinking rationally would list as our top 3 most important players. But like others have said, Sidders has been brilliant recently and cannot be dropped (if his body is up to it) at present - I do think Kayal looked unfit v Hudds - some game time would be great. Stephen's and Kayal together is a proven excellent partnership - I hope he gets his chance soon and is fit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't think anything at all is really 'going on' - as he more or less remarked himself as he returned to fitness, the way the others are playing they simply can't be dropped. Sidwell and Stephens have been generally superb. His chance will come soon enough whether through injury, suspension or possible rotation (although CH is reluctant to change a winning starting XI). Testament to the recruitment/retention policy that we've got 4 top CMs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am not phased by that................Apparently Tomori is a ''right good player'' - I know Lincoln springs to mind for most fans but the lad in training, he is doing well.
I don't dispute that in the slightest.

It's the psychic cosmic forces that obviously flow through the back 5 which I don't want disrupted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But, compared to Dunk & Duffy, he's a little short, and vulnerable in the air.
I think you're being a little harsh on the FOURTH choice centre back.

Compared to Dunk and Duffy every other centre back in the division looks vulnerable, irrespective of how tall they are.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He has got to compete with Sidwell who is in very good form at the moment. The competition for places is there for players to raise their game, be fit and ready for action when called upon, and then fight to keep their place.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think this is less a case of a problem with Kayal and more a case of Sidwell hitting top form and delivering everything that Hughton is asking of him.

Sidwell only just turned 34 in December and he only played 20 times for Stoke over the past 2 seasons, so he came to us comparatively fresh and now he is getting a run of games he's finally showing us what a match-fit starting XI Sidwell can do. If anything I expect him to get even better as the season goes on and unless there are injuries it might be hard for Kayal to get back in the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here