Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NOW TV - Comparison

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
As Ben told me if I buy an Amazon Stick he can download the software and it will work to show all Sky and BT channels including sport which makes it interesting.

Which Software? Im assuming Kodi which as above is not always that great!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have just ordered a Roku streaming stick on E bay so another job for son or daughter in law setting it up . It does say it connects to HDMI port on tv.
Yes.

Once set up you should be able to install NowTv which is the sky streaming service.

It may actually come prepared installed.

Set up a Sky account and off you go. I'm currently on a pre paid month of Sky Sports and will probably go that way until the end of the season.

Before that I bought 24 hours of Sky Sports when I wanted it.

Won't buy any more football until next season.

Dont think BT sport is available on there.

.. I wouldn't be interested because they are contract only.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Yes.

Once set up you should be able to install NowTv which is the sky streaming service.

It may actually come prepared installed.

Set up a Sky account and off you go. I'm currently on a pre paid month of Sky Sports and will probably go that way until the end of the season.

Before that I bought 24 hours of Sky Sports when I wanted it.

Won't buy any more football until next season.

Dont think BT sport is available on there.

.. I wouldn't be interested because they are contract only.

Thought he wanted to put something on Amazon Firestick? Dont think can get NowTV on the Firestick!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
For sure. I believe SKY don't allow 1080p streaming via Now TV in fear of butchering their full priced subscriptions, and yes it does make for poor quality transmissions on a big screen. I stream mine through Playstation 4 app as my Samsung Smart TV doesn't have the Now TV app and the picture quality is the same as what you are experiencing but I have had no buffering/out of sync audio issues. Just for the record I have Virgin fibre.

edit: if those of you who are experiencing 'buffer issues' are streaming wirelessly it would possibly be solved if it's practical to put an Ethernet cable straight from your router to the Smart TV.

Not for me. It was fine when I was with Sky but BT are shite. So regret going with them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have bought and activated a Roku stick that has Now TV and Netflix and I Player etc so I am covered but it was just the thought of Ben saying about this and then not having to pay for Sky Sports whenever I wanted it. I think that I will stick with that and buy a day or week pass when needed as nobody on here seems to know about what Ben is claiming with the Amazon Stick.not that I doubt what he says. It is all foreign to me.as I dont understand about it and how they work.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I have bought and activated a Roku stick that has Now TV and Netflix and I Player etc so I am covered but it was just the thought of Ben saying about this and then not having to pay for Sky Sports whenever I wanted it. I think that I will stick with that and buy a day or week pass when needed as nobody on here seems to know about what Ben is claiming with the Amazon Stick.not that I doubt what he says. It is all foreign to me.as I dont understand about it and how they work.

Have a look at these threads. They are lengthy and things change throughout, but they will hopefully explain.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?330674-Kodi-streams&highlight=kodi

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?335161-Kodi-tv-guide-find-channels-easily

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015

Thought I had explained the options for Firestick earlier! You can put Kodi on it which will give you channels etc Free but isnt always stable, does suffer quite a bit of buffering and is sometimes quite a bit of hassle finding the stream OR you can put an IPTV app onto it and buy a more stable IPTV line which has channel list and most times TV guide. You obv pay for what you get and free is not always the best option!! The paid IPTV is however much cheaper than any subscription services! As said before I can get the connection for you and if want any more info feel free to PM me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I responded to him buying a Roku streaming stick.

I have a Roku stick and use it for Netflix for the grandchildren and also sky sports pass but last night I forgot to record 2nd Eastenders for wife so put the BBC I player on but it kept buffering every 1 minute or so. Google says that too many devices were tapping into the internet at home but everything was turned off and when wife switched her phone on it came up with wifi connection immediately. What else can cause this buffering that I can try to rectify?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have a Roku stick and use it for Netflix for the grandchildren and also sky sports pass but last night I forgot to record 2nd Eastenders for wife so put the BBC I player on but it kept buffering every 1 minute or so. Google says that too many devices were tapping into the internet at home but everything was turned off and when wife switched her phone on it came up with wifi connection immediately. What else can cause this buffering that I can try to rectify?
Hi.

Mmmm

My Roku is plugged straight into the router and not over WiFi.

1) Not great WiFi reception in its position ?

2) Try watching something else now.

Sounds you just had a problem at a particular time.

It may be a problem with BBC servers / capacity at peak times.

3) Learn how to turn the bit rate (quality) down and up on the Roku menu. I find that's useful if something is playing up at the time.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Buffering can happen at anytime to anyone. It might be just the Internet having a hiccup. Possible remedy : If it's happening on your PC/Laptop then reboot the PC/Laptop. Pull the power cord out of the router, wait ten seconds or so then let it reboot itself. But I would leave it as is, if it's still happening just give your ISP a ring and they may run a check on your line to see if it's anything their end.

matey

Mar 16, 2014

Try a different wifi channel.. tip: if you got a smartphone download a wifi analyser app and this will show hubs/routers in the vicinity and the channel they are using. Go onto your hub and change the channel to something that hardly being used. I just did mine, not done it for a while, and I got 2 stations on my channel 1 .. channel 10 got 4. Nice pretty graph to show you.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Buffering can happen at anytime to anyone. It might be just the Internet having a hiccup. Possible remedy : If it's happening on your PC/Laptop then reboot the PC/Laptop. Pull the power cord out of the router, wait ten seconds or so then let it reboot itself. But I would leave it as is, if it's still happening just give your ISP a ring and they may run a check on your line to see if it's anything their end.

Thanks for that if it happens I will try the old remedy turn it off then back on. It said on google about internet speed etc but that is too technical for me so will stick to switching it off and hoping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here