Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock and Stephens

Dec 29, 2011
Ok, so he could get deliberately sent off so as to miss 2 games instead of 3.

If you get two yellows in a match I think neither count towards the total, hence dunk was on 10 before his double yellow and picked up one against ipswich, so now he's on 11.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If you get two yellows in a match I think neither count towards the total, hence dunk was on 10 before his double yellow and picked up one against ipswich, so now he's on 11.

He means during the game where Dunk receives his 15th yellow card, he could potentially get himself sent off via second yellow and thus only get a 1/2? match ban, instead of 3.

When he returns he would be on 14 yellows again. Personally don't think we will try and plan anything like that, it happens when it happens, hopefully not at all.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lets just hope that by the time anybody accumulates enough booking to warrant a ban we are virtually certain of promotion or perhaps even promoted and just playing the season out.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It is most unfortunate when a poster "corrects" a previous poster with false information, but you have somehow managed to embed THREE factual inaccuracies into a 12 word post.

Stephens' booking against Reading yesterday was his fifth of the season; Baldock (who was not booked against Reading yesterday) has been booked three times this season.

Apologies soccerbase had the incorrect information then. They've changed Baldocks but it still shows him with 5 yellows ( forest, Newcastle, Sheffield wed, Ipswich and Barnsley) I know the yellow against Newcastle doesn't count towards the total of yellow cards as he was sent off but there is still something wrong if you say he is only on 3 yellows.

I think there is some confusion over wether Sam got booked in the home game against Ipswich or not, it's mentioned in the live text commentary on BBC website but isn't shown against him on the team line ups, I'm sure the big screen showed him getting a yellow after the incident with an Ipswich player towards the end of the first half. Sky Sports website shows Baldock getting booked in the 31st min both on text commentary and the team line up.

They have Stephens on 6 but I forgot to account for his second yellow against Ipswich away reducing the total to 5.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's my point - see below:
He means during the game where Dunk receives his 15th yellow card, he could potentially get himself sent off via second yellow and thus only get a 1/2? match ban, instead of 3.
Exactly.

Personally don't think we will try and plan anything like that
I don't see why not. If we're at home to Wigan and he gets his 15th yellow in the first half, he will miss the rest of the season. It would make sense for him to get another yellow at the end of the same so that he could play against Villa.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Admittedly Dunk is a worry, but he's only on 11 (would need 4 yellows in 13 games) and has only had one yellow (which shouldn't have even been a yellow!) against Ipswich in 8 games - he's clearly making an effort not to get them - if he continues on this 'form' he won't get near the 15.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Admittedly Dunk is a worry, but he's only on 11 (would need 4 yellows in 13 games) and has only had one yellow (which shouldn't have even been a yellow!) against Ipswich in 8 games - he's clearly making an effort not to get them
He's had 3 in the last 8 games.

He's roughly 1 every 3 games, so in 9 games he'd be on 14 and having to hope for no more.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He's had 3 in the last 8 games.

He's roughly 1 every 3 games, so in 9 games he'd be on 14 and having to hope for no more.

Edit - you're counting the sending off - I'm not.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
sheebo, surely you know me better than to think I'd be wrong?

You're indeed correct, although you get what I meant!

Personally think restricting himself to 2 / 3 at the max would be ok in 13 games but it's down to him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're indeed correct, although you get what I meant!
What you meant was clear, you're making the argument that he's making an effort not to get them, and you're evidence is that he's not getting them. Obviously getting 2 against Huddersfield is clear evidence that it's not working.

I'll ignore the one against Fulham, as that was on purpose.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What you meant was clear, you're making the argument that he's making an effort not to get them, and you're evidence is that he's not getting them. Obviously getting 2 against Huddersfield is clear evidence that it's not working.

I'll ignore the one against Fulham, as that was on purpose.

A pedant would argue the 2 yellows don't count v Hudds as the equal a red and a red is why he got.. ;) But I do feel he's cleaned up the act a bit. The one he got v Ipswich was very harsh. If he can avoid one in the next 3 he should be fine - Tues is the sort of game he'll get one in though...!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A pedant would argue the 2 yellows don't count v Hudds as the equal a red and a red is why he got.. ;)
I'm living proof that they wouldn't.

The one he got v Ipswich was very harsh.
Agreed.
If he can avoid one in the next 3 he should be fine - Tues is the sort of game he'll get one in though...!
The bit he can hopefully clean up is the back chat, kicking the ball away, and lashing out. What we don't want him to do is stop committing professional fouls when needed. If an opponent is going to create a goal scoring opportunity, a yellow is generally worth it.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Anyone got a comparison of Dunk's bookings at the Amex and away matches?

I'd have him down as more likely to get booked in big games and away from home. In the run-in I could envisage bookings against Newcastle, Leeds, Norwich and at away games where it gets a bit feisty. In theory it's hard to imagine him getting booked in the home games against weaker opposition.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Apologies soccerbase had the incorrect information then. They've changed Baldocks but it still shows him with 5 yellows ( forest, Newcastle, Sheffield wed, Ipswich and Barnsley) I know the yellow against Newcastle doesn't count towards the total of yellow cards as he was sent off but there is still something wrong if you say he is only on 3 yellows.

I think there is some confusion over wether Sam got booked in the home game against Ipswich or not, it's mentioned in the live text commentary on BBC website but isn't shown against him on the team line ups, I'm sure the big screen showed him getting a yellow after the incident with an Ipswich player towards the end of the first half. Sky Sports website shows Baldock getting booked in the 31st min both on text commentary and the team line up.

You are correct to think that the confusion comes from the Ipswich game. Many observers had the 31st minute booking for Baldock when it was actually for Luke Chambers.

To avoid making mistakes in future, I would highly recommend bookmarking the FA's disciplinary pages. This is the link for Brighton players - Club Discipline - Brighton & Hove Albion

For first team matches the info is usually updated the next working day, so it should show Saturday's cautions by close of play tomorrow (Monday). Cautions for non-first team matches can take a little longer to be updated.

Ultimately, this is the only source of info that matters, and other sources will often report misleading or inaccurate information (as you are now aware). For instance, in Albion's first home league match of the season it was widely reported that Forest's Henri Lansbury had received a late caution; the referee certainly intended to book him, but he searched in vain for his yellow card which had fallen out of his pocket moments earlier. Ridiculously, that saved Lansbury from a booking. It was also widely reported that Richie Towell had been cautioned for his goal celebration against Lincoln City in the FA Cup, but the FA website shows that this was another phantom caution.

Just one note: cards that were shown in this season's Checkatrade Trophy are showing under first team bookings (which explains LuaLua's red and the yellows for James Tilley and Connor Goldson). It is now immaterial, but these cautions would not count with respect to bookings totals as the Checkatrade Trophy had its own standalone disciplinary process this season (and so many congratulations are due to Kazenga LuaLua who still managed to get himself suspended from 4 league/FA Cup matches due to a red card he received in the competition - an extraordinary and possibly unique achievement).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nitpicking. So apart from that, the post was ok ? [emoji23][emoji23]

In keeping with the posts at beginning of the thread, I think the comma should of been a 'and' :lol:

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
I would be the first to admit, that i didn't rate either of em............... how wrong was i.
Certainly as far as Baldock was concerned, there was a considerable group on here who wrote him off early doors...... it irritated me intensely.... but we'll done for posting a retraction.... you are duly forgiven.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It was also widely reported that Richie Towell had been cautioned for his goal celebration against Lincoln City in the FA Cup, but the FA website shows that this was another phantom caution.

I know there was some confusion surrounding that card. It was corrected just after half time by the commentary team who said Towell hadn't been shown a yellow having earlier announcing he'd been booked for his goal celebration. Most match reports still show the yellow.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here