Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle : next 9 fixtures.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Indeed, in elite sport [well any level really] we coach to focus on the "controlables" - the things we/you can do to affect outcomes - what your opposition do is out of your control, so don't worry about them or give it any thought as it will only drain your limited mental energy - "control the controlables" ....

The act of "not worrying" is itself out of someone's control. So your logic is flawed.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Half of our losses this season have been against teams outside the top 7 of the championship.

So half our losses have come from a group of 17 clubs in a 24 division? Pretty irrelevant statistic that one.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Half of our losses this season have been against teams outside the top 7 of the championship.

Considering there are 17 teams outside the top seven and only six inside it (excluding us) that would suggest we're significantly less likely to lose against non-top-seven teams. Good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Christ, some of you lot are a miserable bunch. If you had free entry into a strippers I'm sure you'd be complaining that the tits would be too small or the beer too warm (more likely, no craft ale)

Newcastles next 3 games are away to us, Huddersfield and Reading. Yes we can't control what they do but it's a proper bitch fixture list and is crunch time with regards to whether we finish 1st or 2nd or continue to look over our shoulder at Huddersfield. I'm glad CH is instilling the one game at a time mentality in the playrs but as fans we don't need to subscribe to all that bollocks. It's time to start believing.

Jan 22, 2017
Only thing that gives me a bit hope is our away record, even though we don't really play great we seem good at picking points up and quite solid. The pressure of playing at home is what has let us down. If we concede first you'll blow us away though, was impressed with you yesterday. Would take 5 points in the next three but anything less would be a worry unless we beat Huddersfield.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I really want Newcastle to beat Huddersfield ( while we are beating Forest at the same time ).

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Untrue. It is simply not human nature, in a competitive environment, NOT to worry about the competition and I don't
believe for one second that anyone can switch off like that. If then they probably don't care anyway.

I respect your view but disagree. I think Shropshire Seagull puts it more eloquently than I:

Indeed, in elite sport [well any level really] we coach to focus on the "controlables" - the things we/you can do to affect outcomes - what your opposition do is out of your control, so don't worry about them or give it any thought as it will only drain your limited mental energy - "control the controlables" ....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was sent this earlier. It's a table of the remaining fixtures for each club, based on the average points already gained by opponents to be faced.

It's good for us. Less so for Newcastle.

Championship fixture hardness.jpg

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I respect your view but disagree. I think Shropshire Seagull puts it more eloquently than I:

But see my post #21. It hinges on being able to control whether you worry
or not. And that is not controllable - unless you know of some drug that will
do the trick.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So half our losses have come from a group of 17 clubs in a 24 division? Pretty irrelevant statistic that one.

Considering there are 17 teams outside the top seven and only six inside it (excluding us) that would suggest we're significantly less likely to lose against non-top-seven teams. Good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not suggesting it's a bad loss rate.

It is entirely relevant in the context of this thread, though. The OP is suggesting we'll have it easy because we're only playing one more team in the top 7 after Newcastle, I'd say it was entirely relevant that while we have only a few losses, half of them are against the teams the OP is suggesting won't trouble us. That 20 of our dropped points have come against teams in the bottom 17.

We can't assume that because they're not top 7 they won't trouble us. There will be teams fighting for every last point in their outside chance efforts to sneak into the play offs, or to get out of relegation trouble. Then we get into the idea of pressure. Teams that are not in the running for play offs and not looking over their shoulder will be able to relax and just play without pressure of expectation.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
But see my post #21. It hinges on being able to control whether you worry
or not. And that is not controllable - unless you know of some drug that will
do the trick.

Scrolls back to post 21....

I guess that is where mental strength comes in?

For me, this is the part of sport that separates equally talented protagonists. Some can go on and dominate whilst other crumble under pressure and stop focussing on their own strengths.

Is not the same thing on here? - we lose a couple of games and some people go into melt down whilst others remain calm and keep it together.

I think this can be applied to all walks of life - our different abilities to handle stress or pressure and still think straight.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Every away game is difficult in this league. Every single one

No - it's not. Bristol City were poor - it was an easy win. And Newcastle didn't have too many problems at QPR. I know what you are getting at, but let's not overdo it. POTENTIALLY, all games are difficult, but sometimes in practice they are not - yesterday being a prime example.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Untrue. It is simply not human nature, in a competitive environment, NOT to worry about the competition and I don't
believe for one second that anyone can switch off like that. If then they probably don't care anyway.

Worrying about the competition is your nature, not human nature. You (and many other people) may worry about the opposition but that is determined by your personality and perceptions. Many people won't worry about the opposition, by suggesting they do is to project your perceptions onto others. Psychologists refer to more extreme examples of this as transference.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Scrolls back to post 21....

I guess that is where mental strength comes in?

For me, this is the part of sport that separates equally talented protagonists. Some can go on and dominate whilst other crumble under pressure and stop focussing on their own strengths.

Is not the same thing on here? - we lose a couple of games and some people go into melt down whilst others remain calm and keep it together.

I think this can be applied to all walks of life - our different abilities to handle stress or pressure and still think straight.

That's fair enough Mayonaise. But I worry like nobody's business about stuff....and I can't help it. To generalise is not being
representative.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
, I'd say it was entirely relevant that while we have only a few losses, half of them are against the teams the OP is suggesting won't trouble us.

The bottom 17 starts at Preston in 8th! They are outside PO candidates for goodness sake - calling them 'bottom 17' is ridiculous, even if factually correct. Surely the relevant stat is the we have lost only once to a team with no chance of promotion?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
6 of their next 9 games are again the other sides in the top 7.

So, it could mean that after they've played Leeds on 15th April we have a nice gap (assuming we don't lose on Tue), or they could be still right in there with an OK end of season set of games.

For us, after Tue, all we have is Leeds left to play from the top 7.

we still have derby villa naarch and leeds.........they will all be tough games ......as will the rest of them ....this is one tough league.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Out of 13 games left, 8 of ours are against bottom 9. In the 10 games to date against those teams the record is W9 D1 L0. End of.

I put this on the 'remaining fixtures' thread yesterday. .... end of (2)

Looking at last year and the last 10 games played by teams in bottom half it really does demonstrate how few they win. Moreover when they do win it's generally against each other.

What this little list shows is how many games each team in the bottom half won in their last 10 fixtures. The number in brackets shows how many of those wins were against teams in the top half. So 120 games in total produced 29 wins (less than 1 in 4) and of those 29 wins only 8 were against teams in the top half.

There really is no evidence to suggest they do anything other than keep losing, or at best beating each other!!

Leeds - 3 (1)
Wolves - 2 (0)
Blackburn - 3 (1)
Forest - 2 (0)
Reading - 2 (0)
Brizzle - 4 (1)
Hudd's - 2 (0)
Fulham - 4 (2)
Rotherham - 3 (1)
Charlton - 3 (1)
MK Dons - 0 (0)
Bolton - 1 (1)

I haven't bothered doing it for the last 10 games of top half teams but if I did I'm sure it would demonstrate just how tough a job Newcastle have vs us

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The bottom 17 starts at Preston in 8th! They are outside PO candidates for goodness sake - calling them 'bottom 17' is ridiculous, even if factually correct. Surely the relevant stat is the we have lost only once to a team with no chance of promotion?

Firstly, blame my English teacher who drilled into us about not using the same phrase over and over. 'The bottom 17' was just me using different language to say 'teams outside the top 7' because I didn't want to use it three times in such close proximity to each other.

Secondly, it's not about statistics, it's about attitudes. This idea from the OP that after Newcastle the only team that can trouble us is possibly Leeds is the problem. Especially as it is simply because they are the only team in the top 7 we will be playing after Tuesday. That people are trying to question how meaningful, statistically speaking, half our losses is, or the semantics of 'outside top 7' v 'bottom 17' instead of questioning the arrogance of assuming no trouble against teams because they fall below an arbitrary position in the table is mind boggling to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here