Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indeed, in elite sport [well any level really] we coach to focus on the "controlables" - the things we/you can do to affect outcomes - what your opposition do is out of your control, so don't worry about them or give it any thought as it will only drain your limited mental energy - "control the controlables" ....
    The act of "not worrying" is itself out of someone's control. So your logic is flawed.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Acker79 View Post
      Half of our losses this season have been against teams outside the top 7 of the championship.
      So half our losses have come from a group of 17 clubs in a 24 division? Pretty irrelevant statistic that one.
      It's probably nice to be Olympic champion. Like winning Gent-Wevelgem or something.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Acker79 View Post
      Half of our losses this season have been against teams outside the top 7 of the championship.
      Considering there are 17 teams outside the top seven and only six inside it (excluding us) that would suggest we're significantly less likely to lose against non-top-seven teams. Good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 Not allowed!
      Christ, some of you lot are a miserable bunch. If you had free entry into a strippers I'm sure you'd be complaining that the tits would be too small or the beer too warm (more likely, no craft ale)

Newcastles next 3 games are away to us, Huddersfield and Reading. Yes we can't control what they do but it's a proper bitch fixture list and is crunch time with regards to whether we finish 1st or 2nd or continue to look over our shoulder at Huddersfield. I'm glad CH is instilling the one game at a time mentality in the playrs but as fans we don't need to subscribe to all that bollocks. It's time to start believing.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Only thing that gives me a bit hope is our away record, even though we don't really play great we seem good at picking points up and quite solid. The pressure of playing at home is what has let us down. If we concede first you'll blow us away though, was impressed with you yesterday. Would take 5 points in the next three but anything less would be a worry unless we beat Huddersfield.

0 Not allowed!
      I really want Newcastle to beat Huddersfield ( while we are beating Forest at the same time ).
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by essbee View Post
      Untrue. It is simply not human nature, in a competitive environment, NOT to worry about the competition and I don't
      believe for one second that anyone can switch off like that. If then they probably don't care anyway.
      I respect your view but disagree. I think Shropshire Seagull puts it more eloquently than I:

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Seagull View Post
      Indeed, in elite sport [well any level really] we coach to focus on the "controlables" - the things we/you can do to affect outcomes - what your opposition do is out of your control, so don't worry about them or give it any thought as it will only drain your limited mental energy - "control the controlables" ....

2 Not allowed!
      I was sent this earlier. It's a table of the remaining fixtures for each club, based on the average points already gained by opponents to be faced.

It's good for us. Less so for Newcastle.

Name:  Championship fixture hardness.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  38.4 KB
      Please buy from Amazon via this link. Thanks.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mayonaise View Post
      I respect your view but disagree. I think Shropshire Seagull puts it more eloquently than I:
      But see my post #21. It hinges on being able to control whether you worry
      or not. And that is not controllable - unless you know of some drug that will
      do the trick.
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pantani View Post
      So half our losses have come from a group of 17 clubs in a 24 division? Pretty irrelevant statistic that one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Waynflete View Post
      Considering there are 17 teams outside the top seven and only six inside it (excluding us) that would suggest we're significantly less likely to lose against non-top-seven teams. Good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I'm not suggesting it's a bad loss rate.

It is entirely relevant in the context of this thread, though. The OP is suggesting we'll have it easy because we're only playing one more team in the top 7 after Newcastle, I'd say it was entirely relevant that while we have only a few losses, half of them are against the teams the OP is suggesting won't trouble us. That 20 of our dropped points have come against teams in the bottom 17.

We can't assume that because they're not top 7 they won't trouble us. There will be teams fighting for every last point in their outside chance efforts to sneak into the play offs, or to get out of relegation trouble. Then we get into the idea of pressure. Teams that are not in the running for play offs and not looking over their shoulder will be able to relax and just play without pressure of expectation.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more