Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - My debut DAMSELFLY album V.O.T.T.O.L. is now out

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Hi. Wanted to let the good people of NSC know that my debut full-album V.O.T.T.O.L. is out now as stream, download and CD via Bandcamp (link below).

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/album/vottol

Of local interest, A Hunter Gathers is a meditation on / tribute to the Shoreham Airshow Crash 11, The Harrow Ways is inspired by the South Downs and Boar's Head Waltz is for Lowther's Lambs / The Royal Sussex Regiment.

I hope some of you enjoy the music, feel free to let me know what you think (good or bad, it's all character building!)

Cheers,

Darren

PS; mods / admins - if you think this is bordering on being spammy please feel free to move it to The Other Stuff

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Listened to a couple of tracks - liked it.

Care to disclose the inspiration for the track "For Edna"? :smile:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Listened to a couple of tracks - liked it.

Care to disclose the inspiration for the track "For Edna"? :smile:

"All songs written and performed by Darren James Holloway / Recorded & mixed at Damselfly HQ Sussex Vendemaire to Nivose 2016 / Artwork by John Lymer and Jack MacRae / In memory of Daniele Polito, Edna Fahey, Leonard Cohen and David Bowie"

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Evening all. Quick bounce to let you know that you can watch my first foray into YouTube land with a hypnotic stills video to A Hunter Gathers here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXpG7_cQSJs&t=5s

It features some of my original photography of the Sussex countryside alongside some iconic imagery. The track is dedicated to The Shoreham 11.

Last edited:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Evening Friday night NSC'ers. Let's hope that we get rightfully crowned Championees this evening. If it all gets too much and you need an ambient musical interlude then Vottol is now on Spotify. I get about £0.03 per stream, so you can relax and help keep a fellow Albionite in beers at the same time. It's a win win! Cheers! (a slightly pissed already) HJ x

https://open.spotify.com/album/307CFX6ifUnwbnvANy0CVf

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Quick update for anyone interested - new EP out featuring alternative 'September's Beast' mix of A Hunter Gathers plus two previously unreleased tracks, Air Lock Embrace and Krystale, from the Vottol sessions, available to stream or download here....

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/album/a-hunter-gathers-ep

Cheers,

Darren

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
In case anyone was wondering why it's all gone a bit quiet on the next album-proper front (An Awkward Bow), here's an update. The recording, mixing and mastering is now complete. I've just finished the final couple of tracks as I wasn't completely happy with the original 9-track version. It now weighs in at 11 tracks and 39 minutes for the statos out there. The full track listing is - Into Echo's Chamber; Hemaneh, Hedge Born; Flamethrower; Love-Dust-Love; Sub Rosa; 11:11:11; Fin de la Melodia; An Awkward Bow; Samara; Let It Flood.
I'm really pleased with, and proud of, the album. I think it's the best work I've done as a solo artist and am looking forward to getting it out into the world, all being well with artwork, pressings etc this Autumn. I then plan to take a break in 2018 from writing and recording as the last year and a half has been pretty full-on, trying to hold down a pretty stressful day job as well. I'm sure my long-suffering wife will be pleased to have a bit more time with me when I'm not wearing headphones or falling asleep on my feet!
Below is a preview track from the album, 'Fin de la Melodia' (End of the Melody) for a wee taster. The album is a more direct, noisy beast than Vottol - a bit more (post) rock, with the return of guitars (including my much loved feedback) and conventional drums. I've also indulged a bit more in my rudimentary piano playing, and had some fun with string arrangements. It's still got plenty of the Damselfly strange sounds and is again a fairly rhythmic and accessible piece of music (I think). Inspiration-wise, if Vottol was the 'Death & Loss' album, then An Awkward Bow is the 'Life & Love' (in all its magical and awkward forms) album, the main inspirations being drawn from romantic poetry and art, gender politics and aesthetics, the beauty of the natural world etc.
Anyway, if you've read this far, thank you. I hope you enjoy Fin de la Melodia and that maybe you'll be back for more when An Awkward Bow is born.

https://soundcloud.com/user-321084802/fin-de-la-melodia-1

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here