Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it just me?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think what REALLY helps people's nerves is yet ANOTHER thread about how nervous/worried they are about the name game(s).

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think what REALLY helps people's nerves is yet ANOTHER thread about how nervous/worried they are about the name game(s).
NSC lost it's mind on Tuesday after Huddersfield won.

The earliest it will be regained is if Barnsley fail to lose v Huddersfield. Even then dropped points v Reading would set off the gloom again.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Football is about big moments, this is one of them for our club and I'm excited for the run in!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Bloom says that he can't carry on losing £20m a year and has to either sell or quit chasing promotion.

TB is a wealthier man than most people realise. That doesn't mean to say he's fine with losing money, that's not in his nature.

The thing is, he isn't resting on his laurels whilst being albion chairman, he is still making money and increasing his accumulated wealth in other areas, so for every 20m he loses funding the albion he is gaining more than that elsewhere. As I said above, that doesn't mean to say he is comfortable losing this amount of money every year, but it is a means to an end and until promotion is achieved where we will receive massively increased organic revenue streams, I doubt he will falter in his commitment. At which point, he is welcome to take some back.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If you can't enjoy being in this position then maybe you need to find another sport to enjoy.
It really doesn't get much better than it is now.

Indeed. Just think, if it was over it would be summer with no footie to watch. If you can't enjoy this, then jeez. Remember all the dark days where just club survival was the target. Get a grip.

Lush

Mods' Pet
It's not just you feeling nervous. I'm sure it's part of the reason the Amex has been a bit quiet recently, until we score. It just means so much this year.

I spend the whole match thinking - I love football. I hate football. I love football. I hate football. On a continual loop.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
My one thought, is that if we do go up, we can at last start paying Tony back some. I don't know about anybody else, but I often feel so guilty about putting so little into the club while he puts so much in.

SAC

May 21, 2014
TB is a wealthier man than most people realise. That doesn't mean to say he's fine with losing money, that's not in his nature.

The thing is, he isn't resting on his laurels whilst being albion chairman, he is still making money and increasing his accumulated wealth in other areas, so for every 20m he loses funding the albion he is gaining more than that elsewhere. As I said above, that doesn't mean to say he is comfortable losing this amount of money every year, but it is a means to an end and until promotion is achieved where we will receive massively increased organic revenue streams, I doubt he will falter in his commitment. At which point, he is welcome to take some back.

Where do you get this information from? Genuinely interested, not point scoring.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This league is so tough and keeps getting tougher.

Its a tough old 46 game league - admittedly but i'm always interested in the idea that its getting harder to get out of it. Is it ?
Who'd have thought Leeds, Huddersfield, Fulham, Preston, and Reading would be play off contenders this year and Derby, Villa, Norwich would be in contrast struggling or outside the top 6 or top 10.
Even Newcastle's promotion doesn't look nailed on anymore.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Its a tough old 46 game league - admittedly but i'm always interested in the idea that its getting harder to get out of it. Is it ?
Yes. My reasoning is that the reward has increased a lot, so teams are spending more and more to try and win the prize. Of course the same number of teams go up each year, but if you want to be one of them you're going to need to spend or get very lucky.

Who'd have thought Leeds, Huddersfield, Fulham, Preston, and Reading would be play off contenders this year and Derby, Villa, Norwich would be in contrast struggling or outside the top 6 or top 10. Even Newcastle's promotion doesn't look nailed on anymore.
Chris said this Newcastle team are probably the best there has ever been in the Championship. Now I'm not saying he'd only ever say the complete truth, as he has an ulterior motive, but no one thought he was wrong when he said it. The fact that they're not well clear speaks for the quality of the competition, as does the fact that decent teams like Derby are struggling.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Yes. My reasoning is that the reward has increased a lot, so teams are spending more and more to try and win the prize. Of course the same number of teams go up each year, but if you want to be one of them you're going to need to spend or get very lucky.

Chris said this Newcastle team are probably the best there has ever been in the Championship. Now I'm not saying he'd only ever say the complete truth, as he has an ulterior motive, but no one thought he was wrong when he said it. The fact that they're not well clear speaks for the quality of the competition, as does the fact that decent teams like Derby are struggling.

He's just playing mind games with the fat Spanish waiter.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Where do you get this information from? Genuinely interested, not point scoring.

Not at liberty to say, take with a pinch of salt if you wish - though the part about his annual wealth increasing by an amount matching/exceeding what he loses subsidising the albion is an educated guess, but one i'd wager as being accurate, probably by an amount much less modest than I was implying.

In short, do not expect any reduction in funding for the significant future, other than what is required to teeter on the edge of rolling permitted losses, until such time as we are promoted.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The worst that could happen?

"Mr Bloom, my name's Archer. I'll give you £56.25 to buy out your debt" :eek:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's just playing mind games with the fat Spanish waiter.
He said it a long time ago, I'm not sure it was meant as part of a mind game then, but as I covered in my post I wasn't taking it as read that he'd only say the truth. But a lot of sides are spending a lot more than was spent in the past to build pretty decent squads.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Two massive games that feel like they will make or break our season.
However they won't... whatever the results this week, we are still in with an excellent chance of top two.

Won't stop me bricking it if Huddersfield win or if we lose.
It's all part of the ride.

Fortunately our players and manager are made of sterner stuff than you or I.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Being an Albion fan for over 40 years I wouldn't be at all surprised if it all went tits up at the last hurdle. Hope that helps :lolol:

There is an illusion among supporters of many teams that alludes to last minute implosion. The evidence, for us anyway, doesn't stand up.

76/77- Promoted
77/78- Narrowly missed out on goal difference but five wins in last six suggests no stalling.
82/83- Relegated before the finishing line
84/85- Late challenge rather than implosion
87/88- Late charge to promotion, won on the final day.
90/91- Play-off challenge falters then others help us back.
91/92- Relegation no surprise
95/96- As above
96/97- Long haul off the bottom cemented on that day.
00/01- Champions
01/02- And again...
02/03- Relegation no shock
03/04- Play off bound most of the way- promoted
04/05- Survived on the last day.
05/06- Relegated by some distance
10/11- Promoted by some distance
12/13- Play off place secured early. Not enough to push into the top two but no ground lost in the second half of the season
13/14- Late day drama sees us into the play offs with virtually the last kick
15/16- Long unbeaten run not enough to see us overhaul the top two. Gave up automatic position advantage as far back as January.

So we are not 'chokers'. Just pretty rotten at the play offs in the second tier. When we challenge in the main season for promotion we tend to get it or run out of time.

Rather chuffed I did all that from memory.

Chin up.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here