Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Encouraging' your kids to support the Albion

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I've got two boys aged 3 and 1 as well. The wonderful thing is that now, out of possibly any time in the history of football, it will be easier to 'persuade' them to be Albion fans than ever before. The ground, the team, the setup, everything. It's the perfect time. When I was 'persuaded' to be an Albion fan back in the late 80's, all my mates supported other teams and said the Albion were shit. Not anymore. Fantastic time to have young kids and get them into football in Sussex.

As much as I give my son (7) freedom of choice in most things, this topic is a bit "non negotiable". I took him to his first match when he was 7 weeks old and he's had a ST ever since.

It's not as straight forward as just taking them, it's the whole coaching process of encouraging local pride/more to a team than just winning cups etc etc.

He also attends regular Peacehaven matches home and away so as well as having been to half a dozen league grounds he's also been to about 30 non league grounds across the south. An away match on the train is something we both very much enjoy together.

However, if he gets to about 15 and starts going to Chelsea/Arsenal etc with his mates I accept there's not much I can do.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
I took my boy to his first game when he was 6 (that boring 0-0 with Preston, thankfully followed by that amazing 3-2 win against Charlton!) What really helped him get into it was the season before, I used to bring him back a programme from the game & leave it with him. Sometimes he'd just put them away in a drawer but other times he would ask loads of questions about the players etc. The posters in the middle were a great help as well, so by the time we first went together the following season, he already knew the players, opposition etc rather than spending 90mins saying 'who's that'!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Took my (then) nine year old to Reading where we got battered 3 - 0 in 2011. Tried once more at home v Newport when it was warmer but football certainly is NOT one her interests.

Beliall

Feb 22, 2017
From my thread, you know my plan. As much as I personally would like them to support Leicester, I cannot deny them the chance of regular live football at a club they chose. I will never forget my first time at Filbert street, and continuing to go to as many games as I could throughout my teens. It was a very formative experience. So if that means I have to put up with buying Brighton shirts for their birthdays, So be it..

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I didn't give my daughter much choice. She was born on 28 April 1997 & was at Hereford the following Saturday. We went to as many games as we could until she was 7. We lived in South Yorkshire, but she was proud to be an Albion fan. Then I left home & didn't see the children very often. Up until this point my son had supported Barnsley, but having come with me to away games in the north, he started supporting the Albion as the atmosphere at away games was better than at Barnsley. 10 years on and he is still an Albion fan, having never lived in Brighton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Let them make their own minds up. They will anyway.

No chance. It's far too important a decision for children to make. It's the parents' prerogative to decide which team their children will support. I dragged my 2 lads to the Family Stand at Withdean for years and this was when they were one of only a couple of other kids at their school who were Brighton fans. My eldest's first ever game was a 4-0 defeat to Blackpool on a rainy Sunday just after Wilkins had taken over. He was hooked for life. It was easy-peasy then and so I can only imagine how much easier it is now.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You don't "encourage" them. You tell them and they obey you (without question). Otherwise they are out on the street and the entire inheritance goes to the cats home.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My 19 year old lad was showing an interest in football and the Albion aged 3, I bought him an Albion shirt and he loved it.
I had a season ticket at Withdean sitting with some mates, but my wife and myself took the lad to a cup match at a Withdean and he really enjoyed the match, I've never seen a kid of that age so interested in the game.

My wife started taking him regularly to Albion matches as I didn't really want to give up the seat I had with my mates, I did take him to a few away matches when he was young.

He had a football party when he was about 9 and most of his school mates turned up in Arsenal shirts, but he has always stuck with the Albion.
He has a season ticket next to me in the WSU but now goes to away games with his mates.

My 13 year old lad didn't have much choice about watching the Albion, when he was a baby we couldn't get a baby sitter for every home game, so he came to matches at Withdean and then had a season ticket at a very young age.
He also has a season ticket with me in the WSU and loves coming down the pub before home games, and enjoys an away day.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My youngest went to a birthday party when he was about 6 or 7 and in the goodie bags at the end were a pen and ruler set with Man U's logo on it. He took it out and gave it back to his friend's mum with the words "Sorry but I don't want this, I support Brighton". I can't tell you how proud I was of him for that.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Deffo the son and dad thing will sway it. My 10 year old boy is not into footie at all but can't wait to come to the odd home game to see his dad go batshit mental.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Since the day he was born I've sung GOSBTS to my lad to sooth him works a treat everytime. He has also had shirts and bibs and such. Now he is two and half and everytime sees the badge he says beagulls beagulls! So proud. Today he went upto another child grabbed the badge on his shirt like a player who just scored and proceeded to babble on about beagulls.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
We live in Southampton, but I drip-fed my kids on The Albion from the day they were born. Fraser went to his first game at 6 weeks although he doesn't remember too much about it.

I took him to games from around age 5, but all he wanted to do was eat sweets and didn't really take too much interest.

The real clincher was 15th November 2009. Fraser was 7 and Macy 6. We went to St Marys and watched us DEMOLISH Southampton. We were right next to the home fans and the kids got really into it. From that day on, it was properly Albion all the way. He had a great day at School after that and has now developed an excellent pathalogical hatred for Southampton

:thumbsup:
Nice to see that you are teaching your son the true meaning of sport and are pleased that he has a pathological hatred for other teams

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
Took my boy to Withdean when he was 6,he had Chelsea and Man u tops given him by family members.But as soon as he saw Baz Savage doing a moonwalk after he had scored,an Albion fan for life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here