Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ranieri Sacked

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Haven't read the whole thread but if the player power thing is true then this could be the end of football management as we know it.

What is the point of having a manager if he can't manage for fear of players not liking it? The likes of Vardy and Mahrez signed bigger, better contracts and simply haven't produced the goods, that's not Ranieri's fault - it's there's. Yet they can just keep being rubbish and collecting their wages.

The phrase "lost the dressing room" was not something you heard 20 years ago. It implies player power increasing,the role of the manager diminishing, if a managerknows a player can just run to his boss if he's not being picked or is being asked to play in a way he doesn't want to then where is the manager's authority? You might as well just ask the players to do it themselves, that way they would only have themselves to blame. Similarly I've noticed players using the press to express "bewiliderment" at their treatment (yes that's you Luke Shaw) as they have some kind of divine right to play in every game - if they aren't happy talk to the manger don't go running behind his back.

They had their faults but could you really imagine the likes of Bill Shankly, Alex Ferguson "losing the dressing room"? I'm sick of overpaid, underperforming players blaming everyone but themselves and acting like arrogant prima donnas.

Rant over.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
This news sucks, I feel for Claudio, I really do and will be forever grateful for what he achieved with us, but with our current form and league position, I think the decision needed to be made.. Now I hope the new manager will drop the poor performers and save our season, other wise we will be forever remembered as the team who embarrassed themselves after doing the impossible.

I've think you've pretty much guaranteed that now. You're Leicester City FFS! Last season was amazing, unbelievable, a truly heart-warming story, but winning the league doesn't automatically turn you into a football superpower. If you get relegated, and it's still a huge if with the amount of games still to play and the dogshit teams below and around you, then so what? You're Leicester City, it's what you and teams like you do. "Oh, we'll miss out on squillions of pounds and those clackers don't buy themselves." Big deal.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
What a travesty.

Players of very limited ability at PL level over-achieved because of Ranieri and won the PL. Something they would never have achieved without him. Then the scumbag players knife him and hound him out of the club. Really hope they get relegated now (so long as its not at the expense of the scum going down)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This news sucks, I feel for Claudio, I really do and will be forever grateful for what he achieved with us, but with our current form and league position, I think the decision needed to be made.. Now I hope the new manager will drop the poor performers and save our season, other wise we will be forever remembered as the team who embarrassed themselves after doing the impossible.

Nah! Your club has already embarrassed itself beyond all measure by sacking the manager who brought you the glory you could have only dreamed of. The players who hounded him out, and by your comments, the fans who are defending the sacking, have embarrassed themselves. Ungrateful bleeders.

Really hope you go down now.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Sad!

(Trump has ruined that word)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Anything that upsets that utter spanner Lineker gets my vote.About time you retired anyway Claudio-can't be short of a few bob!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
WOW. Just WOW. How to go from being the most supported team in the country to the most despised in under one year. Incredible.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In the same way that fate conspired in Leicester's favour last season - with all of the big clubs taking a dip for various different reasons - fate has definitely conspired against them this season.

Losing Kante, Vardy having his head turned, Mahrez losing form, having the diversion of the Champions League, a lack of focus as to their Prem goals this season, signing a sackload of sh1te over the summer , a poor January window, all of the big clubs getting better and every Prem team gunning for the Foxes now they're Champions have all combined to hit them hard.

A lot of these things were predictable, which leads me to point the finger at the Director of Football for not bringing in the right players. Let's not forget though what happened two seasons ago when they looked dead and buried only to go on a superb run and avoid relegation. A lot of these players were in the squad, they dug in and delivered then.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In the same way that fate conspired in Leicester's favour last season - with all of the big clubs taking a dip for various different reasons - fate has definitely conspired against them this season.

Losing Kante, Vardy having his head turned, Mahrez losing form, having the diversion of the Champions League, a lack of focus as to their Prem goals this season, signing a sackload of sh1te over the summer , a poor January window, all of the big clubs getting better and every Prem team gunning for the Foxes now they're Champions have all combined to hit them hard.

A lot of these things were predictable, which leads me to point the finger at the Director of Football for not bringing in the right players. Let's not forget though what happened two seasons ago when they looked dead and buried only to go on a superb run and avoid relegation. A lot of these players were in the squad, they dug in and delivered then.

Assistant Manager Steve Walsh moving to Everton as Director of Football was a big loss too in the summer. He was the one who was scouted Mahrez, Kante and Vardy.

Beliall

Feb 22, 2017
I've think you've pretty much guaranteed that now. You're Leicester City FFS! Last season was amazing, unbelievable, a truly heart-warming story, but winning the league doesn't automatically turn you into a football superpower. If you get relegated, and it's still a huge if with the amount of games still to play and the dogshit teams below and around you, then so what? You're Leicester City, it's what you and teams like you do. "Oh, we'll miss out on squillions of pounds and those clackers don't buy themselves." Big deal.

Nah! Your club has already embarrassed itself beyond all measure by sacking the manager who brought you the glory you could have only dreamed of. The players who hounded him out, and by your comments, the fans who are defending the sacking, have embarrassed themselves. Ungrateful bleeders.

Really hope you go down now.

We never expected to become a football super power because of a magical league win, but it was reasonable to expect decent transfer business and to crack on for at least a top half / top 10 finish this year. Our players have let the manager and the fans down, without a doubt.

As far as sacking the manager goes, football is a results business at the end of the day, The owners want to remain in the premier league and it wasn't looking at all likely after losing to 10 man Millwall in the cup. The timing is the strangest thing about this, with a Champions league second leg to play. They should have sacked him after the Swansea game, or let him finish the Champions league tie. This whole thing is a real shame.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I have a Leicester supporting friend and the player power narrative is definitely the strongest thing I am hearing from there. Really pathetic stuff imo. The title win has gone from pure Hollywood gold to crappy straight to video in an instant.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
David Wagner is 22/1, this would be a great appointment for all concerned.

Well, us really, I don't think Udders would be too pleased with it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I would take winning the Prem followed by relegation. Not sure why some of their fans have turned on Ranieri even if he had to go. Shame that a fairytale season has ended on a sour note and the good times have been forgotten about already.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As far as sacking the manager goes, football is a results business at the end of the day

"Football is a results business" - this phrase has become a universally accepted cliché but it is about time it was challenged.

If it was truly a "results" business then why do the results of last season get ignored? Or is it purely down to the results of the current season?

If so, if a manager won 4 league titles in a row but was 17th in February in season 5 would he get sacked too?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I would take winning the Prem followed by relegation.

As would the fans of every other one of the 92 league clubs bar Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City and Man Utd.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I would take winning the Prem followed by relegation.

I don't suppose the owners of the club have budgeted for relegation.

Even when Leicester were struggling under Nigel Pearson, the owners there were making it clear they want Leicester to establish themselves as a top half of the Premier League side, along the lines of Southampton or Stoke, not to just make up the numbers.

They overachieved massively last season having arguably underachieved the previous season. The owners there have invested plenty of money in the club and made money available for transfers, so they would expect more than just finishing 17th as an acceptable return, regardless of the perfect storm that occurred for Leicester last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here