Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ranieri Sacked

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree. Lost key backroom staff too. They would certainly go down if he stays. Look what happened to Di Matteo after winning champion's league.....surprised Ranieri has lasted this long....

Di Matteo was never anything more than a caretaker manager though, that Chelsea team picked and ran itself. My dentist would've won the Champions League with them that season, and he's from Guildford.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I bet Ulloa's having a little chuckle to himself, he said he would never play for Leicester again, I wonder if he still feels the same way now.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Di Matteo was never anything more than a caretaker manager.

In a roundabout way, This is kind of my point. Leicester is, give or take, the longest job CR has had since that beacon of managerial stability, Chelsea. I doubt anyone expected him to last more than 2 years least of all the man himself. He, like a lot of managers out there, is a short term solution.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
10% - the other 90% would take another season in the championship to get back up. I hope anyway.

Wishful thinking, simply tuning in to the final whistle after a game you will get a good few negative bellends give their insightful 2cents after a couple of losses.

A couple blokes behind me still seem convinced everything that is wrong with the albion lies at the feet of Dale Stephens, and the fact he is allowed to take in air is an affront to them. Their previous pantomime villain was Sam Baldock though they are not devoid of making comments on him either. It was Dunk before that.

It would seriously not take long for the negativity to start, doubtless prefaced by "I know we can't expect too much from our first season, BUT..."

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Is it too early to put in a request that should the club achieve this season's target, the Albion stay loyal to Hughton regardless of position next season?

There's a lot to be said for continuity for clubs like us should the manager wish to stay.

If Chris takes us up, I think he deserves the job for the whole of next season at the very least.

Even if we went down, he'd probably take us up again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In a roundabout way, This is kind of my point. Leicester is, give or take, the longest job CR has had since that beacon of managerial stability, Chelsea. I doubt anyone expected him to last more than 2 years least of all the man himself. He, like a lot of managers out there, is a short term solution.

Its a fair point, and I admit I thought it was a batshit appointment when those Thai owners installed him after Pearson last year.

But given the utter miracle he worked with that club, to sack him 25 games later (and within sight of the last 8 of the Champions League) is, I think, quite astonishing. You're right, its indicative of the short-termism and outright panic that exists in the game these days. Owners are quite literally SHITTING themselves at the whiff of dropping out of that all-consuming gravy train. They're spraying it up the walls.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Di Matteo was never anything more than a caretaker manager though, that Chelsea team picked and ran itself. My dentist would've won the Champions League with them that season, and he's from Guildford.

Maybe the same is true about Leicester last year.....team running itself . . . .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is it too early to put in a request that should the club achieve this season's target, the Albion stay loyal to Hughton regardless of position next season?

There's a lot to be said for continuity for clubs like us should the manager wish to stay.

If Chris takes us up, I think he deserves the job for the whole of next season at the very least.

His contract should see to that.

If we went up, completely STANK the place out and dropped straight back down, I still can't think of another manager I'd rather have at the helm, with parachute payments, if we found ourselves back at square 1 in August 2018.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe the same is true about Leicester last year.....team running itself . . . .

Well, not really. Di Matteo didn't build that Chelsea team, he just took it over. The components were in place, the leaders like Terry and Drogba were there, the world class internationals. The team picked itself, it really was was running itself.

Ranieri came in, then shaped and galvanised that Leicester team (and signed quite a useful bloke from Caen who nobody had ever heard of, which helped). Are you seriously suggesting that anyone could have walked into that dressing room and turned those players into Champions ?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Its a fair point, and I admit I thought it was a batshit appointment when those Thai owners installed him after Pearson last year.

But given the utter miracle he worked with that club, to sack him 25 games later (and within sight of the last 8 of the Champions League) is, I think, quite astonishing. You're right, its indicative of the short-termism and outright panic that exists in the game these days. Owners are quite literally SHITTING themselves at the whiff of dropping out of that all-consuming gravy train. They're spraying it up the walls.

It's got worse since the introduction of the transfer window. You can't get rid of your players but the manager is fair game - and the players know it. Even the managers know it. Get a 4 year contract and dissappear on full whack in half the time or even weeks in Roberto di Matteos case at Villa.

I doubt we will see a 5000-1 shot winning anything again in a 20 horse race in my lifetime but CR is well set to get another plum job and Leicester can stay up and get a big name manager in. I feel more strongly about the fat goalie from Sutton getting sacked.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Sky Bet have the odds up:

Next Permanent Leicester City Manager

Nigel Pearson 5/1
Alan Pardew 6/1 :facepalm:
Mark Warburton 10/1
Martin O'Neil 12/1
Gary Rowett 12/1
Neil Lennon 14/1
Roberto Mancini 16/1
David Wagner 16/1
Jaap Stam 20/1
Frank de Boer 20/1
Roy Hodgson 20/1
Steve Mcclaren 20/1
Tim Sherwood 25/1
Muzzy Izzet 33/1
Ryan Giggs 33/1
Alan Curbishley 33/1

Strange they put Wagner and Staam on the list but not CH

That's probably your answer to the CH question.............Not even quoted. They are not daft. They have people contact potential Managers and the ones that don't rule themselves out get on to the list. Although I must say that it is a bit soon for them to have contacted many of the Managers who might potentially be on it.

I have a feeling they will go for a foreign manager - Or at least someone who has worked with foreign managers.

Final note...........Disgraceful from Leicester. Ranieri should have built enough Kudos and respect at Leicester to have been there for years. He brought millions into the club by winning the league and getting them into the money spinning Champions League

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, not really. Di Matteo didn't build that Chelsea team, he just took it over. The components were in place, the leaders like Terry and Drogba were there, the world class internationals. The team picked itself, it really was was running itself.

Ranieri came in, then shaped and galvanised that Leicester team (and signed quite a useful bloke from Caen who nobody had ever heard of, which helped). Are you seriously suggesting that anyone could have walked into that dressing room and turned those players into Champions ?

Crikey. Actually Ranieri did exactly what Di Matteo did. He changed nothing. The bloke from Caen? Kante signed for Leicester in 2015 . . . before Ranieri joined.

"Kanté was scouted for Premier League club Leicester City by Steve Walsh, who had previously facilitated the transfers of Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez to the team.[10] On 3 August 2015, he joined Leicester on a four-year contract, for an undisclosed fee reported to be €8 million (£5.6 million)"

Where is Steve Walsh now? . . . . .

I think I am suggesting that Ranieri's genius was to do nothing. Unfortunately when something was needed he had nothing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

If we go up and come straight down again, yes, I'd want Hughton to stay at the club to take us back up again. At the end of the day, being a bounce club for a few years would do us no harm at all - PL money one year, parachute payments the next. Win/win...................... (well, every other season, perhaps!)

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
It'll be Mancini (he even played for them, briefly). He'll give everyone enough of a lift and they'll stay up.
BUT, it's terribly, terribly sad. Football is really getting shit.
It looks to me like the players have being trying to get him sacked.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If we go up and come straight down again, yes, I'd want Hughton to stay at the club to take us back up again. At the end of the day, being a bounce club for a few years would do us no harm at all - PL money one year, parachute payments the next. Win/win...................... (well, every other season, perhaps!)

I actually don't think Brighton would get relegated from the PL under CH

To be honest going down and up a couple of times can be beneficial. Not just the parachute money but psychologically every couple of years the fans get a good season with a bit of success. Constantly struggling can be tiresome and frustrating for the fans. Ask Norwich fans they screamed for a new Manager because surviving in PL wasn't good enough for them. Now look at them

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Crikey. Actually Ranieri did exactly what Di Matteo did. He changed nothing. The bloke from Caen? Kante signed for Leicester in 2015 . . . before Ranieri joined.

"Kanté was scouted for Premier League club Leicester City by Steve Walsh, who had previously facilitated the transfers of Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez to the team.[10] On 3 August 2015, he joined Leicester on a four-year contract, for an undisclosed fee reported to be €8 million (£5.6 million)"

Where is Steve Walsh now? . . . . .

I think I am suggesting that Ranieri's genius was to do nothing. Unfortunately when something was needed he had nothing.

Well...no. Ranieri was appointed Leicester manager on 13th July 2015, 3 weeks before Kante joined. Give all the credit to Steve Walsh if you like, but it was CR who signed him, and then built a team around him.

He then took a team that finished 14th, 6 points above the dropzone, and 1 year later, had them finishing 10 points (TEN POINTS) clear, as English Champions.

But no, I'm sure you're right. He actually changed nothing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here