Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Denver, Colorado

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Anyone been?

My partner and I are going at the end of April as he has a conference to attend and I'm tagging along.

Any recommendations for things to do or see would be appreciated.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Surrounding area is lovely and loads to see and do, I think you can ski at that time of year still and you can go to a working ranch for the day or stop over the night. But downtown Denver is a dump. A few nice bars and restaurants on the main pedestrianised street (watch out for trams though), but downtown is plagued by homeless and ex Vets begging all the time. Pretty sad.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
COL_80985595_580.jpg

The Colorado Rockies have a home series against the Arizona Diamondbacks on 5th, 6th and 7th May, and (World Series Champions) Chicago Cubs on 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th.

I'd be all over one or two of those like STINK on a wet dog.

(there's home games 21st-27th April too vs the Giants and the Nats, if those May ones are too late)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] says, get to see a ball game; Coors Field is a good stadium.

Also, get out in to the Rockies - Mt Evans is lovely. There's some great day trips to the mountains and lakes. I'm also pretty sure I did white water rafting somewhere around Denver. As others have said, not too much to recommend downtown, tbh.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Anyone been?

My partner and I are going at the end of April as he has a conference to attend and I'm tagging along.

Any recommendations for things to do or see would be appreciated.

Garden of the Gods (it's not a garden!) near Colorado Springs ... absolutely awesome. If you play golf add in the nearby Biltmore

Last edited:

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I went 18 months or so ago. We used it more as a base for exploring the surrounding areas - Rocky Mountains, Colorado Springs & Boulder.

Try to see a baseball game if you can, that was great fun, or a concert at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre.

16th Street Mall is worth visiting - lots of shops, bars and restaurants. There's also a really good street food market at the Civic Centre Park.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
COL_80985595_580.jpg

The Colorado Rockies have a home series against the Arizona Diamondbacks on 5th, 6th and 7th May, and (World Series Champions) Chicago Cubs on 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th.

I'd be all over one or two of those like STINK on a wet dog.

(there's home games 21st-27th April too vs the Giants and the Nats, if those May ones are too late)

Good shout, I watched them play the San Francisco Giants a few years ago, and we paid something ridiculous like $4 each for a ticket. Good partisan crowd as well.
Denver is nice, it's great for craft beer should that be your poison, but ultimately I think I preferred Boulder which is about an hour up the road, and worth a visit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought I was going to get shot when the magician I was with did the vanishing lit cigarette trick into the jacket of a psycho, while in one of the really sleazy bars featured in Things To Do In Denver When Your Dead.

Happy days.

As others have said Boulder is really nice, and the Uni town so a bit more down with the kidz.
If that's your thing.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Skiing in the Rockies is fantastic. A-Basin, keystone and Breckinridge. Not cheap and you'll need a 4 wheel drive to get about.

Less obvious Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge is worth a visit especially if you have some time to kill on the way back to the airport. It's a wildlife sanctuary (bald eagles, coyote etc) built on a recovered weapons factory and test site.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I saw the Cardinals there three seasons ago and have to say it was the best stadium I have ever been to for the way you get treated.
What we call steards, they call hosts, and the majority were 55 yrs old + So courteous and friendly.
Get Club seats. Not the cheapest but brilliant
Full menu brought to your seat,beers, whisky, curry, all sorts.
I actually wrote to the vice president when I got back I was so impressed with the whole thing.
And a stroll from the city centre.

Apart from the ballpark, get on a mini bus tour up into the Rockies. Amazing .
And easy to waste a couple of hours in The Tattered Cover Bookstore www.tatteredcover.com

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
How long have you got, and how far do you want to travel?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Denver is OK for a few days and agree the baseball is quite fun. Pretty standard american city.

I went out there for work a few years ago and added on a few days in Boulder which was really nice little town. Despite going in the summer, you can still ski all year round in parts of the Rockies too.

St Julien Spa is where I stayed for 2 nights which was very nice with great facilities.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As an aside, I love the way American states and cities just roll off the tongue.

Colorado
Minnesota
Chicago
Iowa
Nebraska
Cincinatti

Lovely. What do we have ? Reading. Slough.

Winnersh.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
As an aside, I love the way American states and cities just roll off the tongue.

Colorado
Minnesota
Chicago
Iowa
Nebraska
Cincinatti

Lovely. What do we have ? Reading. Slough.

Winnersh.

Many towns and cities in the USA are named after places in England, mate. haha

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Many towns and cities in the USA are named after places in England, mate. haha

Yup, I know there's a Brighton and a Birmingham, amongst many others. But they also retain a lot of names from native american times, and so many of them are just beautiful imo. Minnesota derives from 'mnisota', meaning "clear blue water" (its also known as the state of 10,000 lakes).

I dunno what Birmingham derives from. Probably a canal or something.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here