Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Yup, I know there's a Brighton and a Birmingham, amongst many others. But they also retain a lot of names from native american times, and so many of them are just beautiful imo. Minnesota derives from 'mnisota', meaning "clear blue water" (its also known as the state of 10,000 lakes).

I dunno what Birmingham derives from. Probably a canal or something.

Sorry, had to do it

:bowdown: WE'RE NOT WORTHY :bowdown: WE'RE NOT WORTHY :bowdown:

[YT]nRCTc6stICc[/YT]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Had constant nose bleeds from the (lack of) air pressure. Snotty bloody mess the entire time.
A charming mental image indeed.

Thanks for the tips, by the way - baseball is definitely on the agenda, most likely the 5th May game against the Diamondbacks.

I also discovered that there is an aircraft museum, which will keep me happy and which my partner will have to tolerate.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Is it me or is "Denver, Colarado" one of a few places that more often than not is said with both city and state. Why is that? Are there lots of "Denvers" meaning the State is important to identify which one is being talked about? Are there others where this happens.. "Boston, Massachusetts" possibly..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Craft beer central apparently.

When it comes to beer, Colorado doesn’t mess around: the state consistently tops the charts for the number of breweries and microbreweries per capita. Plus, it’s home to the Denver Beer Triangle: the Rocky Mountain front range between Boulder, Fort Collins and Denver, where you’ll find more than 72 breweries, including Coors Brewing Company.

http://www.travelchannel.com/destinations/us/co/denver/articles/denvers-8-best-breweries

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I took this photo in Colorado - one in a line of processed cheese fridges in a supermarket. Hope it helps :thumbsup:

Cheese.jpg

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Is it me or is "Denver, Colarado" one of a few places that more often than not is said with both city and state. Why is that? Are there lots of "Denvers" meaning the State is important to identify which one is being talked about? Are there others where this happens.. "Boston, Massachusetts" possibly..
I think there are lots (some of these may just be me!):

Boise, Idaho
Phoenix, Arizona
Louisville, Kentucky
Gary, Indiana
Walla Walla, Washington
Portland, Oregon
Columbus, Ohio
Austin, Texas
Chicago, Illinois
Pittsburgh, PA
Paris, Texas
Hotel, New Hampshire...

I think its is the result of Americans often stating the state as well as the city when they are asked where they come from but it seems not to be so automatic when the city is very famous - no-one really says Miami, Florida or San Francisco, California but you might say Orlando, Florida or Sacramento, California.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is it me or is "Denver, Colarado" one of a few places that more often than not is said with both city and state. Why is that? Are there lots of "Denvers" meaning the State is important to identify which one is being talked about?

yes, there are. its an american idiom because they do often have many places with the same name across the US, being as they all came from Europe and took place names with them. good point poster above that some (especially spanish) dont get the treatment as they're bit more unique.

see how many Brighton's there are.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here