Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes Applause Paul McCarthy

What is a fitting tribute to Paul McCarthy?

• Minutes applause before kick off

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Minutes applause in the 45th minute

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Minutes silence before kick off

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
To be fair to the club they may have their reasons for this decision and perhaps we should respect that.

The players preparation for such a big game will be key and I suspect that for one of our key players in particular another memorial minutes applause at the start of the game may not be the best preparation for them.

The club do so much that is right at the moment, perhaps we should respect their judgement on this.
I wonder whether there has been any communication with his family, finding out what they want, and would feel to be appropriate. Will anyone from his family be there ?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Happy to do so if no-one else is, but a quick email to Paul Barber and/or Paul Camillin might change the time of the minute's applause.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Applause - a time-honoured way of expressing approval = seems such an inappropriate, almost offensive, way of marking someone's death.

A minute's silence - observed before the game - would be so much more fitting, poignant, and respectful..

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Rather surprised at the 45th minute idea. If this is going ahead at that time for any other reason than a poor capture of mood I want to know why. Sky and all that. Whatever act of memory takes place it should be done at a time when it has the most attention. Paul deserves no less.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why did it become applause rather than silence in the first place? Silence is so much better. There's something atmospheric about having 30,000 people together in complete silence. So much more poignant than applause, which will (hopefully!) take place plenty of times throughout the game anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why did it become applause rather than silence in the first place? Silence is so much better. There's something atmospheric about having 30,000 people together in complete silence. So much more poignant than applause, which will (hopefully!) take place plenty of times throughout the game anyway.

I'm fairly sure it started after Leeds fans chanted "there's only one Don Revie" all the way through a minutes silence for Matt Busby live on Sky.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I suspect there may be stipulations Sky impose that make this sort of thing much harder to make happen pre game than during it?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Should definitely be before kick off and I fail to see what it has to do with Sky. Players and officials only need to come our a minute earlier.

My preference is, and always will be, a minutes silence but we all know that it was changed to applause so that morons could not spoil it.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Before

And everyone sing their lungs out for Super, super Paul

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wonder whether there has been any communication with his family, finding out what they want, and would feel to be appropriate. Will anyone from his family be there ?

This, especially the family wishes.

I suspect there may be stipulations Sky impose that make this sort of thing much harder to make happen pre game than during it?

And this.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I'm fairly sure it started after Leeds fans chanted "there's only one Don Revie" all the way through a minutes silence for Matt Busby live on Sky.

It was later than that, it started this century. I can remember there was a minutes silence before the game for Sir Stanley Matthews at the Leicester v Tranmere League Cup Final at Wembley in 2000 for example. By the time of England v Brazil in 2007 there was a minutes applause for Alan Ball before kick off.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Kick the applause into touch, it should ALWAYS be a minutes silence, during the applause no one reflects on the life of the person, with silence you have the chance to reflect.

I hate the applause and never do it, I always stand in silence.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
I agree this should be before the kick off. It could be the wishes of the family for the timing but I do find this a little strange. Perhaps we should all just stand silent in the 45th instead of clapping

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
The recent preference for applause to mark someone's death is baffling in the extreme. And it sends out precisely the wrong signals: at its worst, it looks as if we're all glad that he's dead.

Instead, a mnute of silent relection, shared among many thousands of bowed heads, provides a far more powerful reminder of the person's life, and its true significance for all present.

It seems many others feel similarly, and we will be the ones not applauding, but standing in silent contemplation tomorrow.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'll be queuing up on 40 minutes !!

If I've been served I'll raise a glass on 45 mins though.

Could you perhaps, just this once, not get a beer at half time? Given the later kick off you can neck it all afternoon if you really need to anyway?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Sky can go an **** right off! This is to do with a loyal servant and much loved player, not some corporate wankers.

We have seen many pre kick off minutes applause or silence and they should have no say whatsoever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here