Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Million pound compensation man blows himself up...

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
Think it just underlines the point there were no innocents locked up in Quantamemo , they were all terrorists. Anyone who thinks some people who were entirely innocent just happened to end up there because of those naughty Americans is a complete and utter fool who probably believes everything written in the Guardian.

Stop trolling.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
I'm giving my opinion duh !

There are a huge number of innocent people in prison all of the world, who go through the courts and are wrongly found guilty. The people held in Guantanamo didn't even go through trials, but you are sure that all of them are terrorists. Why?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Grow up , what do you think they were doing there having a holiday ! I'm not talking about every prison I'm talking about quatanolo, all up to no good. Only a fool would think oh maybe they have another reason to be caught fighting in a war zone against the Americans. Duh .

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Alright, if you want to be picky about sources, how about this. IF we paid him a million quid, should we try to recover some of it? Too right we should, when it appears that a spell in Guantanamo Bay was entirely justified for the murderous scum.
If the Mail is lying, of course, then there is no million quid to be recovered, and that, frankly, would be the end of the discussion.

Well, he's got no need for it now...

Daily Mail alters the phrase to 'up to a million' during the article.

I'm united with all who care little for the fate of this scum and their kind. No contention there. I just don't trust the Mail to tell the truth.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
There are a huge number of innocent people in prison all of the world, who go through the courts and are wrongly found guilty. The people held in Guantanamo didn't even go through trials, but you are sure that all of them are terrorists. Why?

Well this one was wasn't he!

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Is there another Board in the world that can cover such diverse topics as mental health, watch repairs, Guantanomo, Brexit and the WHC all in the same day (whilst keeping an eye on the footie)? Impressive breadth.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Oh sh1t - who to believe - Tony Bliar or the Daily Mail? I might go into meltdown.
(From the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...y-services-guilty-of-failings-terrorism-chief)

Tony Blair has denied that a Labour government paid compensation to the former Guantánamo Bay detainee who went on to blow himself up in Iraq, in a strongly worded statement in which he accused the Daily Mail of hypocritical coverage over the Manchester-born jihadi’s death.

The former prime minister said compensation, thought to amount to £1m, was paid out under the Conservative-led coalition government in 2010 and criticised the tabloid for blaming him and Labour instead.

“He was not paid compensation by my government,” Blair said. “The compensation was agreed in 2010 by the Conservative government.”

On Wednesday morning, the Daily Mail’s front-page story was the death of Jamal al-Harith – who changed his name from Ronald Fiddler after converting to Islam in his 20s but most recently went by the nom de guerre Abu Zakariya al-Britani – in which Blair’s government was singled out for “intense lobbying” for his release.

Blair hit out at the Daily Mail’s “utter hypocrisy”, pointing out that the newspaper led a media campaign for Harith’s release from Guantánamo Bay.

“It is correct that Jamal al-Harith was released from Guantánamo Bay at the request of the British government in 2004,” he said. “This followed a massive media and parliamentary campaign, led by the Daily Mail, the very paper that is now supposedly so outraged at his release, and strongly supported by the then Conservative opposition.”

The former prime minister singled out a headline from the Mail Online entitled “Still think he wasn’t a danger, Mr Blair? Fury at Labour government’s £1m compensation for innocent Brit.”

“The Mail headline shortly after he was released after months of their campaigning was Freedom at last for Guantánamo Britons’. They then quoted with approval various human rights activists saying, ‘Clearly, by what’s happened they’re not bad guys, they are entirely innocent’.”

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
daily mail:facepalm:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-299720/Freedom-Guantanamo-Britons.html

Freedom at last for Guantanamo Britons

Britain's five former Guantanamo Bay detainees were enjoying their freedom amid mounting calls for them to sue those responsible for their incarceration.

The four remaining former detainees being questioned by anti-terrorist police have been released, bringing an end to their ordeal.

They were taken to locations of their choice after being questioned at the high-security Paddington Green Police station in central London.

The men released were: Tarek Dergoul, a former care worker from Bethnal Green, east London, Ruhal Ahmed, 22, a student, Asif Iqbal, 22, a former parcel depot worker and 26-year-old Shafiq Rasul, all from Tipton in the West Midlands. Jamal al Harith, 37, from Manchester, was released on Tuesday.

Speculation is mounting that some of the men will sell their stories about their stay at the base which lasted for more than two years.

Steven Watt, a British lawyer with the US based Centre for Constitutional Rights, had represented Mr Rasul and Mr Iqbal in their fight for freedom. He said: "It is what we expected to happen. I think what happened in terms of them arriving at a military base in the UK and taken into custody was just window dressing for the benefit of the US government.

"It makes a complete nonsense of Guantanamo and confirms what we have been saying for the very start. They have spent two-and-a-half years languishing in that prison - it is a complete travesty of justice. I think they are owed something by the US government, but whether they will ever be able to get it is another thing.

"George Bush called them 'bad guys' but clearly by what's happened here they are not bad guys, they are entirely innocent. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Nine Britons were originally held at Camp Delta by the US.

Four Britons remain in the custody of the US military at Guantanamo Bay despite calls by their families and human rights lawyers for their release.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Don't you cringe a bit when you say that? the humorous name change thing is so old.

No, I think it's acceptable in this context. But I did cringe a bit because I couldn't think of a humerous name change for the Daily Mail.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Oh sh1t - who to believe - Tony Bliar or the Daily Mail? I might go into meltdown.
(From the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...y-services-guilty-of-failings-terrorism-chief)

Tony Blair has denied that a Labour government paid compensation to the former Guantánamo Bay detainee who went on to blow himself up in Iraq, in a strongly worded statement in which he accused the Daily Mail of hypocritical coverage over the Manchester-born jihadi’s death.

The former prime minister said compensation, thought to amount to £1m, was paid out under the Conservative-led coalition government in 2010 and criticised the tabloid for blaming him and Labour instead.

“He was not paid compensation by my government,” Blair said. “The compensation was agreed in 2010 by the Conservative government.”

On Wednesday morning, the Daily Mail’s front-page story was the death of Jamal al-Harith – who changed his name from Ronald Fiddler after converting to Islam in his 20s but most recently went by the nom de guerre Abu Zakariya al-Britani – in which Blair’s government was singled out for “intense lobbying” for his release.

Blair hit out at the Daily Mail’s “utter hypocrisy”, pointing out that the newspaper led a media campaign for Harith’s release from Guantánamo Bay.

“It is correct that Jamal al-Harith was released from Guantánamo Bay at the request of the British government in 2004,” he said. “This followed a massive media and parliamentary campaign, led by the Daily Mail, the very paper that is now supposedly so outraged at his release, and strongly supported by the then Conservative opposition.”

The former prime minister singled out a headline from the Mail Online entitled “Still think he wasn’t a danger, Mr Blair? Fury at Labour government’s £1m compensation for innocent Brit.”

“The Mail headline shortly after he was released after months of their campaigning was Freedom at last for Guantánamo Britons’. They then quoted with approval various human rights activists saying, ‘Clearly, by what’s happened they’re not bad guys, they are entirely innocent’.”

I try not to think too much about the Daily Mail. But I do worry about the people who support it and believe it. Clearly Dacre tried to put Blair in the frame because he and his backers know the readers hate-hate-hate him. The good news for the Mail, sadly, is that while the person who authorised the payout wasn't Blair at least it was Ken Clarke, another target for the Mail's venom.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I try not to think too much about the Daily Mail. But I do worry about the people who support it and believe it. Clearly Dacre tried to put Blair in the frame because he and his backers know the readers hate-hate-hate him. The good news for the Mail, sadly, is that while the person who authorised the payout wasn't Blair at least it was Ken Clarke, another target for the Mail's venom.

Compensation was set in progress by labour and honoured by the conservatives, so both palpable by association

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Is it possible that he was radicalised in/because of guantanamo?

I know there are stats for this sort of thing in 'normal' prisons, where people become 'more' criminal after a stint inside.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here