Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - we won't screw up this year (plus next season Transfer budget info)....

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
A representative from our company went to the Sport Industry Breakfast that he spoke at this morning - was highly complimentary of him (as a non-football fan).

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Cue new thread on where the £35 million should be spent!:)

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
From the IBT article.

"We work at the moment on a twin-track budget," Barber said at the Sport Industry Breakfast Club. "We have to prepare for another season in the Championship but we also have to prepare for a possible season in the Premier League; if you start planning at the end of May you're probably going to be in trouble.

"At the moment we're working on two parallel projects, one if we stay where we are and one if we get out. Clearly working back to getting into the black is the second of those two. We've got a chance for the first time in our owner's history of delivering some kind of return to him. When you've invested over £200m already, that return is in inverted commas. There is certainly not going to be that kind of money coming back to him any time soon, if ever.

Owner Tony Bloom has financed the club's route to the brink of promotion - including investing £93m in the Amex Stadium.
"Of course you want to take advantage of the income that you've got in the Premier league and ideally show a profit for the owner if you can. But you also want to stay there. Staying there is a challenge for any club playing in the Premier League for the first time.

"Credit to Bournemouth for what they've achieved, and Burnley for what they look like they could achieve because it is really tough to stay up. We know that and just looking at our numbers, if we do get up it's going to be very tough to stay there.

"I would say it is possible to do both [stay up and break even], but you've got to be clever and you've got to be smart and you've got to recruit really well. You've got to have the kind of spirit and togetherness that the current group have got. Time will tell if we pull off that trick but I think it is possible to do both."

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I am amazed if he said that....Talk about tempting fate!

Probably taken slightly out of context. I can't be arsed to read it all, but perhaps he said "I'm hopeful that we'll finish the job this year", or "I have every confidence in Chris Hughton and this squad of players to...." etc.

A bit different to "We're up" :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am amazed if he said that....Talk about tempting fate!

Said what ?

He's made it clear there are two plans in place, two budgets. One if we make it, and one if we don't. He's spot on, we should be planning right now for both eventualities, and not start thinking about it in May.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Said what ?

He's made it clear there are two plans in place, two budgets. One if we make it, and one if we don't. He's spot on, we should be planning right now for both eventualities, and not start thinking about it in May.

That we won't screw up this year...It was the title of the thread after all!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
First things first is we get promoted.
I'm not reading too much into his comments bar the one where he says about staying in the premier league.
I'm sure the money will come for players to guarantee that

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
That we won't screw up this year...It was the title of the thread after all!

The thread title (and the headline) don't match up with what he said.

"We screwed up the other three (seasons) so we need to do it this year," is what Barber actually said.

Poor subbing.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Whatever he said, it clearly allowed for some interpretation which is unfortunate because I'm sure he's not assuming promotion is a given.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here