Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leyton Orient (the decline of)

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I think we owe a lot to the fans of clubs like Orient. Not sure how many protests we have supported in the intervening years but a trip to Crawley isn't like going to the other side of the world.

Yep, I've decided I'm definitely going to go, if anyone know or has contact with any Orient Faithful and fancy arranging something the men I'm in!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
London football club Leyton Orient has been served with a winding up petition by HM Revenue and Customs.

The petition was delivered to the club on 2 February, with a hearing to be held at the High Court on 20 March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39126425

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
This is really bad. With the biggest asset being the ground it looks like we could be losing another ground to developers.
Orient fans my thoughts are with you if you read this, it's not so good that this is still happening in football after what happened to us.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
In the words of Barry Hearn in 1996- I hope they get thrown out of the league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must admit it hard to feel any sympathy for them. But then as always, it's the fans that suffer, and for them, I do have sympathy.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
In the words of Barry Hearn in 1996- I hope they get thrown out of the league

By all means, continue your grudge against Barry Hearn, but two and a half years ago, Orient nearly made the Championship, losing out to Rotherham.
This owner Francesco Becchetti has been there just two years, and run them into the ground.
It could happen to any club.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sadly, in the South East, every football club, whether professional, semi-professional or amateur, is going to be seriously targeted by property developers.

Best recourse IMHO should always be for the club under threat to form a Supporters Trust earlydoors and get the ground listed as an Asset Of Community Value.

http://mycommunity.org.uk/case_stud...orters-trusts-list-valuable-community-assets/

Worked pretty well for Lewes FC a few years back, if memory serves. All that 'Sporting Hub' BS was swiftly put to bed. :wave:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
£5.5m ....or half of Matt Ritchie ... something's very wrong with our game ....

itchie? There's no denying Orient's chairman has been guilty of rash behaviour.

The Olympic Stadium shambles just keeps on giving....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And if the football club does go out of business? A prime bit of land for sale? Who gets paid for it? Hmmm could that be Hearn?

Um, I was actually agreeing with you. To shrewdies like Hearn, the football club is doubtless neither here nor there. Shocking state of affairs but every single ground in the South East is under similar threat. These sharks are all thinking: why have a valuable site for prime real estate that is used less than 20 times a season when you could have a shitty block of shoddily-built profit-generating flats there instead?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Funny how all the money in English football has attracted so many overseas "investors" (I use that term loosely in some cases). It's clear that our country's teams are often viewed by outsiders looking in as an easy way to get rich, ignoring the fact that most clubs, certainly in the Football League, make a loss every month. I can't see any other reason why a bunch of Italians would, with the greatest of respect, be interested in a club like Leyton Orient.

Notts County had that bizarre overseas consortium buy them at one stage, with disastrous consequences, Blackpool were owned for a time by a Latvian guy, you've got Demin ploughing his honestly earned money into Bournemouth when they were in the FL. Charlton's Belgian owners, Derby have American owners now, Forest fans are trying to get rid of Fawaz (the Kuwaiti guy), Cardiff have had all manner of issues with Vincent Tan, then there's the infamous Venkys at Blackburn: no doubt there are plenty more.

Does this ever end well? I suppose Bournemouth will argue that it has done for them, but I'm still convinced that something dodgy will come out of that particular situation in the end, and it may well all come crashing down around them.

Easy way to get rich, or an easy way to launder money.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here