Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leyton Orient (the decline of)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Last Monday night Albion U-23s lost 2-0 at Villa Park; one of Villa 's central defenders was a lad called Jacob Bedeau. He is only 17. Villa purchased him from Bury on the last day of the transfer window in January for a fee thought to be around £900,000.

What has any of that got to do with this thread? Bedeau was in the Leyton Orient youth system but was released last season during his U-16 schoolboy season. He ended up being picked up by Bury and he started his scholarship in July. The Bury youth manager was Ryan Kidd. When first team boss David Flitcroft was sacked in November 2016, Kidd became joint caretaker-manager (and then assistant to new boss Chris Brass). After making his debut for the first team when he came on as a sub at halftime in Bury's defeat against Millwall at the end of November, Bedeau started 6 matches for the Shakers and at one fixture there were reported to be 27 scouts watching him. Villa had a bid of £750,000 rejected before they finally agreed a deal.

I bet there are one or two at Leyton Orient regretting that decision to let him go last season....

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The Leyton Orient Fans Trust sound like they have a battle on their hands with the owner.

[tweet]843821277206974466[/tweet]

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The National League is not the graveyard that it used to be. Nearly every club is full-time apart from the smaller ones like Braintree, Maidstone and North Ferriby. A lot of matches are televised on BT Sport so I expect Orient to be on the box quite a lot as they're a big name. There's also some fairly local derbies like Dagenham, Woking, Braintree and Bromley.

Sincere best wishes to Leyton Orient and all their fans. They'll be back in the league very soon I hope.

Say that to teams like Wrexham and took Luton years to get back despite throwing the kitchen sink at it

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Anyone remember the game at Brisbane Road, in December 1996, when we lost and were twelve points adrift at the foot of L2 and staring oblivion in the face? Their fans really rubbed our noses in it that day.

Also, I was at the Kassam Stadium on the final day of the 2005/06 season, when Orient beat Oxford to secure promotion to L1 and to relegate Oxford to the Conference. Orient had four-thousand fans there that day, half of whom, at the end of the match, spilled onto the pitch to goad the Oxford fans and had to be cleared by police on horseback.

All in all, then, my sympathy for Orient is limited.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Anyone remember the game at Brisbane Road, in December 1996, when we lost and were twelve points adrift at the foot of L2 and staring oblivion in the face? Their fans really rubbed our noses in it that day.

Also, I was at the Kassam Stadium on the final day of the 2005/06 season, when Orient beat Oxford to secure promotion to L1 and to relegate Oxford to the Conference. Orient had four-thousand fans there that day, half of whom, at the end of the match, spilled onto the pitch to goad the Oxford fans and had to be cleared by police on horseback.

Stood in with the Orient fans for that one and was not a pleasant experience . Game was Peter Shiltons 1000 league appearance and an early kick of for tv if I recall correctly .

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Mate use to live in the apartments on the corner. Balcony just behind the corner flag next to the away fans. Could see the pitch from his lounge, bedroom and kitchen...very cool

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
God we were dire that day. All Shilts had to do was deal with a couple of back passes from the O's defence. Think it was on a Sunday just before Christmas.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Say that to teams like Wrexham and took Luton years to get back despite throwing the kitchen sink at it

Time for a third team to be promoted and relegated from the National League and League Two.

The standard is very high when I've watched matches on BT Sport and there's some very good young English players.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Funny how all the money in English football has attracted so many overseas "investors" (I use that term loosely in some cases). It's clear that our country's teams are often viewed by outsiders looking in as an easy way to get rich, ignoring the fact that most clubs, certainly in the Football League, make a loss every month. I can't see any other reason why a bunch of Italians would, with the greatest of respect, be interested in a club like Leyton Orient.

Notts County had that bizarre overseas consortium buy them at one stage, with disastrous consequences, Blackpool were owned for a time by a Latvian guy, you've got Demin ploughing his honestly earned money into Bournemouth when they were in the FL. Charlton's Belgian owners, Derby have American owners now, Forest fans are trying to get rid of Fawaz (the Kuwaiti guy), Cardiff have had all manner of issues with Vincent Tan, then there's the infamous Venkys at Blackburn: no doubt there are plenty more.

Does this ever end well? I suppose Bournemouth will argue that it has done for them, but I'm still convinced that something dodgy will come out of that particular situation in the end, and it may well all come crashing down around them.

If, and I say if, Dirty Leeds were promoted this season, it will be interesting to see how their owners handle the Sky millions.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Must be even worse sat there looking at West Ham's shiny new bargain stadium just up the road.

But West Ham can fill 70% of it. Orient would struggle to fill 10%.

Are you saying that LO should have sold their ground and rented Wembley? (if they had been allowed to). If a club doesn't have the security of real estate behind them, there would be only one way to go if financial difficulties struck.

I realise that TB owns The Amex, but I think this situation is slightly different.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

Remember it well. I think some fans of a certain age won't forget these times and how some of their fans and management treated us.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Swings and roundabouts though.

I remember the final match at the Goldstone, Orient beat Hereford 2-0 that day, which, combined with our victory over Doncaster, lifted the Albion one place above Hereford. There's a tosser element amongst fans of all clubs.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

Yep. A fair few of their fans have registered high on the twatometer in past visits to Brisbane Road. Haven't read the whole thread and can't be arsed tbf. I'm torn about this. Aside from the antics above, there was their chairman of the time urging that Brighton be slung out the league after the 'Wilkins leg' incident, plus again, in the close season, when the League chairman met up to discuss a motion to throw Brighton out the league. Orient represented by Hearn were vocifirous for the motion for Brighton to be slung out the league. We were at our lowest ebb back then with the Gillingham groundshare.

For those reasons, my sympathy for Leyton Orient doesn't register too high. Some people have short memories. I don't. The same goes for Hereford. I remember their behaviour in the close season of 1997.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I too remember Scott McGleish, but that's not the point :) What is happening to Orient is disgusting and they deserve the same solidarity we were shown by so many in the darkest of times. I'm doing a fundraising gig for Save The Orient after the Blackburn game in Walthamstow with a great bunch of locals. Fellow Albion fans who happen to live nearby would be most welcome ....
http://www.wegottickets.com/event/394136

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I too remember Scott McGleish, but that's not the point :) What is happening to Orient is disgusting and they deserve the same solidarity we were shown by so many in the darkest of times. I'm doing a fundraising gig for Save The Orient after the Blackburn game in Walthamstow with a great bunch of locals. Fellow Albion fans who happen to live nearby would be most welcome ....
http://www.wegottickets.com/event/394136

Shown solidarity by so many-shame Orient's Chairman did his best to get us kicked out of the League. Their fans were goons during our troubles. No sympathies from me I'm afraid.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here