Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taxi For Owen Coyle

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The appointment of Coyle in the first place is up there with Birmingham's dismissal of Rowett and appointment of Zola for stupid decisions. (Not that I think too many managers would do well with that club since Venkys took over). I genuinely don't understand this - if all the fans of both the club concerned and others can see it's not going to work before it even happens, why do they do these things?

Don't listen to the support - we're not 'football people' so can't possibly know anything.

Well, unlike Rowett, Paul Lambert wasn't sacked by BRFC. He walked out on them, exercising a release clause in his contract after a year or so of faffing about with those chicken nuggets. And who could blame him.

The appointment of Coyle was bizarre though. Being ex-Bolton AND ex-Burnley, the fans there already despised him before he walked in the door. The owners wouldn't have given a shit about that though, obviously.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The appointment of Coyle was bizarre though. Being ex-Bolton AND ex-Burnley, the fans there already despised him before he walked in the door.

That would be like appointing, say, Vince Hilaire as Albion manager :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Of that list above, it would be a slight surprise to me if Mark Warburton took it.

Blackburn Rovers, with all their issues off the pitch, just doesn't seem like a good fit for him. They probably need another northern dinosaur in the Sam Allardyce mould who won't mind the restrictions under which he'll have to operate, and can just carry on with his normal routine of shouting at players very loudly and saying **** a lot.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Or Steve Coppell :lolol:

Oh....hang on.

I picked Hilaire as he was both ex Palace and Pompey, but I hear you re Coppell. The thing with Coppell is that he did relatively well though, so people didn't mind him in the end. Nice guy, working in very difficult circumstances. If his side had played really badly the entire time though, his Palace background would quite obviously have been used as a (metaphorical) stick to beat him with.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
From SkyBet:

Tony Mowbray 2/1
Gary Rowett 3/1
David Dunn 6/1
Mark Warburton 6/1
Tim Sherwood 8/1

Rowett wouldn't take that lot on nor Warburton I suspect. Sherwood would fit well but I think he might be holding out for a top 4 Prem club now he's sorted Swindon out

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Nice to see Judas Coyle fail at yet another of our Lancashire rivals.....Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan......Preston next? And then he can work his way through the Accringtons. Rochdales, Oldhams and Blackpools.::smile:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Nice to see Judas Coyle fail at yet another of our Lancashire rivals.....Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan......Preston next? And then he can work his way through the Accringtons. Rochdales, Oldhams and Blackpools.::smile:

Bit mean- I can understand the first four, but the others have enough trouble getting by without you lot wishing them ill!

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Well, unlike Rowett, Paul Lambert wasn't sacked by BRFC. He walked out on them, exercising a release clause in his contract after a year or so of faffing about with those chicken nuggets. And who could blame him.

The appointment of Coyle was bizarre though. Being ex-Bolton AND ex-Burnley, the fans there already despised him before he walked in the door. The owners wouldn't have given a shit about that though, obviously.

Indeed - it was the appointment of Coyle specifically that I meant, Easy. That kind of distance, geographically and sentimentally, from the club and fans inspires exactly that sort of decision. If they've got any sense and if he hasn't, Rowett would be next man in to give them the best chance. Thought he worked wonders at Birmingham.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Bit mean- I can understand the first four, but the others have enough trouble getting by without you lot wishing them ill!

I had a soft spot for Accrington (very unlucky not to be promoted last season on the lowest budget in League 2), but then they knocked us out of the League Cup this season.....another last-minute goal like Lincoln.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Rowett will be well in demand and can bind his time - I'm sure he wouldn't touch Blackburn with the proverbial bargepole.

I do feel a bit sorry for Coyle: don't think SAF, Clough, Shankly or Busby could have pulled them out of the mess they were in - nearly all self-inflicted

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Blackburn are yet another club who have reached the heights but then discovered the realities of the Premiership and the affect on chairman,managers,players and supporters

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Steve Cotterill has thrown his hat into the ring live on Sky. Think he would be an excellent choice in my opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Blackburn are yet another club who have reached the heights but then discovered the realities of the Premiership and the affect on chairman,managers,players and supporters

Blackburn were a well established PL club, they were well adjusted to the realities of that division and well equipped to cope with it. They were comfortably midtable when the Venkys showed up. But they walked in, binned Allardyce, installed their stooge Steve Kean who promptly took them down, and the rest as they say is history. The Venkys ruined Blackburn, not the Premier League.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Steve Cotterill has thrown his hat into the ring live on Sky. Think he would be an excellent choice in my opinion.

He is desperate for a job so throws his hat in the ring for every job. I am surprised that they havent looked at Billy Davies I dont like him as an individual but could do the job there as well as anybody and better than most.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here