Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
While you should always be there for them, ultimatly, it is up to them to get the help they need.

Staying in bed is where they are. First step should be a reason to get out of bed. Breakfast or a shower. Just being able to start to look after ones self is a good step and good for the mind. All the best.

Have you been there?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I will put by hand up and say that I suffer from anxiety and occasionally from depression.

The anxiety is most pronounced on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening and I was depressed on a couple of Saturdays and a Thursday night recently.

On a more serious note, not something many people want to talk about, and it is difficult to get family or close friends to admit to themselves that they may have an issue and to seek help. The problem then is the opening up when talking to professionals to find the route cause and start the long journey to recovery..

There is a wide spectrum of mental health issues, and its not all about hearing voices, but could be something as simple as avoiding leaving the house if it means significant social interaction.

If anyone thinks they may be, or if you think one of your friends is suffering, talk the plunge and get them to see their GP as a start so that help can be arranged.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have a family member who has border line MH issues.
Have had help over the years with pills and therapist etc..
That has all but diminished now, all they seem to do is stay in bed.
Driving the family mad (no pun intended) in trying to get them to help themselves, which is an up hill battle.

Not surprising if it's something like clinical depression........horrible fairly recent experience of this with a very close relative that ultimately ended up dragging down a spouse to eventual suicide. Very possible they can't/won't want to help themselves. We found the professional support limited - the NHS are as overworked in this area as any other so don't always have the time (until it gets very serious, by which time, for us anyway, it was probably too late).
[MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] well done for having the ****s to admit it on here (knowing how it might be received). Feel free to pm if you ever want to chat/offload (I'm not qualified or in the profession in any way but if it helps please do)

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I have OCD, if that counts. Not to the point where I have weird habits like turning the light on and off so many times before leaving the room, but silly things annoy me. For example, if I notice that a drawer is left ajar slightly, I have to get up and close it. I try to ignore it, but genuinely can't relax until it's closed.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not surprising if it's something like clinical depression........horrible fairly recent experience of this with a very close relative that ultimately ended up dragging down a spouse to eventual suicide. Very possible they can't/won't want to help themselves. We found the professional support limited - the NHS are as overworked in this area as any other so don't always have the time (until it gets very serious, by which time, for us anyway, it was probably too late).
[MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] well done for having the ****s to admit it on here (knowing how it might be received). Feel free to pm if you ever want to chat/offload (I'm not qualified or in the profession in any way but if it helps please do)

Thank you Daz

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have OCD, if that counts. Not to the point where I have weird habits like turning the light on and off so many times before leaving the room, but silly things annoy me. For example, if I notice that a drawer is left ajar slightly, I have to get up and close it. I try to ignore it, but genuinely can't relax until it's closed.

That's funny, thank you mate, I need those light moments.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I know you find it very 'in' to take the piss but really, some of us have problems. Does it make you feel good?

I think that if you post about your mental health problems on a forum like NSC you are going to get some piss taking. Accept it or don't post. Why are you so keen to admit to it on this forum and invite others to do so?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think that if you post about your mental halth problems on a form like NSC you are going to get some piss taking. Accept it or don't post. Why are you so keen to admit to it on this forum and invite others to do so?

You star, your parents must be so proud of you.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Its definately hard to understand the way the people have to cope with such issues.
As you have said the NHS are stretched to capacity in most areas.
This leaves family or friends to step in and support the person.
Can be very hard, but at the end of the day its family :thumbsup:

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I have suffered with anxiety for the past 15 years. It really took over my life from around 2007 to 2014. I am currently on top of the problem, but it still prevents me from leading a normal life (compered to the life I lead before my mental health issues).

I still have a few hurdles to jump, but I am making real progress. CBT and the love and support of my family got me through the real dark times. When I look back to how I was at my lowest point, I still can't believe that I came through it.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Heavy ecstasy use.

It's led to some terrible mental health issues several years on. Quetiapine and Mirtazapine keep a lot of the really bad shit away though.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think that if you post about your mental health problems on a forum like NSC you are going to get some piss taking. Accept it or don't post. Why are you so keen to admit to it on this forum and invite others to do so?

I think the point of the thread is for people to relate to the issue of MH, not to ridicule something that they do not understand.
Perhaps if you had had inherited something, I doubt very much that you would accept piss taking, as you've so eloquently put it.:thumbsup:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Attention.

Anonymity.

Reassurance.

Encouragement to actually take the next step and seek professional help.

Despite it all NSC can be a very caring environment where I like to think we all kinda like each other most of the time, and if someone holds their hand up and says I have a problem we help when and Where we can.

Last edited:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I think i may do, i find it really difficult to leave the house unless it is for work, which there are many things in place to keep me safe, or the football, but only if i have somebody i trust. It6 has stopped me doing many things like learning to drive, which could help me further my life all the way down to just visiting my mother. This has led me to leaving my social circle, with my only real social activity coming on here or playing games online. I also find it very difficult to talk to people face to face, even my own family and that is just making it worse. It's only been recently that i've noticed these problems and thought i should get help, but that means leaving the house or talking to someone over the phone, Has anyone had these issues and gotten over them? if so how? I'm also happy for this to be in the public domain as it could help me and even others.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I think the point of the thread is for people to relate to the issue of MH, not to ridicule something that they do not understand.
Perhaps if you had had inherited something, I doubt very much that you would accept piss taking, as you've so eloquently put it.:thumbsup:

Nobody has ridiculed it as far as I can see. Th OP did respond aggressively to a post that he took to be taking the mickey though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here