Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I don't think anyone has perfect mental health. I didn't feel good at one time and therapy totally changed my life. I now work in this field and it's fascinating. Good support and frank discussion on here. For anyone suffering out there try to get some support, try talking to someone close to you, a friend or family member. If that's not possible speak to your GP, the Samaritans, a counsellor/psychotherapist. If it's an emergency or you are in danger of harming yourself get down to A&E asap. There is help out there.

If anyone has a (serious!) question about mental health please quote or PM me and I'll try to help.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I was diagnosed with depression last year. The culmination of several stress factors- work, coping with some significant needs of my youngest child, and financial pressures. It was a slow drip affect that suddenly consumed me. I became very low and then when on my own would become tearful. I also had a lot of anxiety that in hindsight was irrational but my lowest ebb and the trigger for me to get help was the point when I became numb - I was just existing and felt nothing. Luckily I was able to realise that this was not right - it is so hard to explain it properly now but it was the absence of any feeling that looking back now really scares me.
As I say luckily I made the decision to get help and through a combination of medication and talking therapy I found my way back. I have now found a way of managing work better, my daughter's needs are also much more manageable and financial pressures have eased. All in all I feel more like my old self but I am very aware of the risk of returning to that place.
All my life I have been able to cope with stress and have even strived on it but this counted for nothing when I became depressed.
My love and thoughts go out to anyone experiencing depression . The most important thing is to talk to someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I've struggled with anxiety and depression since I was 15 (now 33). Never expected to post that on an internet forum, but your openess and bravery in raising this subject is inspiring.

It's also really encouraging to hear so many others willing to talk about it too. It's a scary thing at times, but often I find things which are scary lose a lot of their power when you stop trying to get away from them and instead face them head on.

Good on you for starting this thread.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
No I don't have any mental health issues, however if I did I'm certain it's not a good idea to be posting in a weird virtual world such as NSC, I know for a fact that most posters on here will have a split personality, one for NSC one for REAL WORLD

NSC - nothing quite like it, no subject is taboo. We are a resourceful family, but like all families, there is always at least one obnoxious kid.

Good luck [MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] - there are very obviously some folk on here that can empathise with you ...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Mental Health Issues [MHI] - not sure if I have?

My 21 y/o daughter was diagnosed with Asperger's 15 years ago and has had various treatments / tablets - I can see a lot of her "problems" in myself going back to my childhood [I'm 56 now] but I've never had any sort of diagnosis. I stuggle with relationships [friends] but have been very lucky to have a wife of 30 years who has stuck by me.
I have [what I think is] an eating disorder - I eat when I'm stressed [work stress], I eat when I'm bored - I've got a BMI of 34 and no will-power to do anything about it - is that a form of MHI? I think my only solution is a gastric band but is there some mental treatment that could help me?

I don't want to waste NHS time when they clearly have more critical MHI to deal with - I don't think it's depression - but why do I keep eating?

In the scale of issues shared by others on this thread, eating unnecessarily seems to pale into insignificance - am I one of those [many?] undiagnosed cases?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Yes, have found the last few years a struggle after going through a couple of relationship breakups, one of which was particularly traumatic.

I was probably being effected by depression before this time, but the break up seemed to be a trigger in making it worse.

I'm on an anti depressant , as prescribed by my GP. I was OK with this, as actually it does seem to level things out, though it did put weight on me. At the time, I found myself really struggling to get any enjoyment out of life, which really brought me down. Sometimes I still feel like this, but looking to enjoy the simple things if life (nature, being with good friend, music etc) does help.

I quite often feel down that I can't seem to get in a relationship I enjoy, but try and see there are advantages in being single.

I've never felt that the ADs was the complete answer, so as well as running and generally trying to look after myself, I've found mediation to be very useful. I've got the Headspace App on my phone, which I use most days.

Everyone has a mental health, in the same way we accept we all have physical health. Its just its more difficult to talk about mental health problems, for a variety of reasons.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Mental Health Issues [MHI] - not sure if I have?

My 21 y/o daughter was diagnosed with Asperger's 15 years ago and has had various treatments / tablets - I can see a lot of her "problems" in myself going back to my childhood [I'm 56 now] but I've never had any sort of diagnosis. I stuggle with relationships [friends] but have been very lucky to have a wife of 30 years who has stuck by me.
I have [what I think is] an eating disorder - I eat when I'm stressed [work stress], I eat when I'm bored - I've got a BMI of 34 and no will-power to do anything about it - is that a form of MHI? I think my only solution is a gastric band but is there some mental treatment that could help me?

I don't want to waste NHS time when they clearly have more critical MHI to deal with - I don't think it's depression - but why do I keep eating?

In the scale of issues shared by others on this thread, eating unnecessarily seems to pale into insignificance - am I one of those [many?] undiagnosed cases?

Are you an ex smoker? I have seen ex smokers reach for the grub in situations that used to make them light up. Try keeping plenty of chewing gum about to keep your jaw busy.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I want to bring this to a public forum, a big one, this is a big forum. Yes I have mental health problems. Can anyone else admit to it?

I think I need to thank you for asking this question, I think I have to say yes.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No I don't have any mental health issues, however if I did I'm certain it's not a good idea to be posting in a weird virtual world such as NSC, I know for a fact that most posters on here will have a split personality, one for NSC one for REAL WORLD

And guess what, for your belittling, there are 18 or 19 pages here of people opening up. Real world or not, these are real people with real issues. I don't understand why you're posting on the non real world.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You've completely done the right thing posting on here as are obviously comfortable with the bunch and have a one big thing in common - the Seagulls. You shouldn't feel that you have to post on other specific forums as this place clearly makes you feel comfortable. The odd few who have responded otherwise just don't get that we are all wired a little differently.

I suffer with anxiety myself and have ups and downs like others have mentioned. Going into a supermarket can be a challenge at times, avoiding work nights out/X-Mas events, sleeplessness and being petrified in some situations such as speaking in groups etc. It really is crippling as eats into your life and many don't get it and see you as rude/odd or at least that's how it makes me feel people perceive me. A comment of ' need to raise your profile' comes at work each and every year. Unfortunately these people with confidence don't realise quite how hard this is and that pushing yourself too far drives your stress levels through the roof and could do further damage. A family history of this unfortunately...

Never taken to prescribed medication as don't want to rely on this. A good alternative to anyone reading this and suffering with similar issues is 5-htp which you can purchase over the counter. Has helped with sleep, but it sops working after a while so is a case of take break and use again afterwards.

I've never posted anything about this before so NSC is my first place of posting this too. In fact it is probably my first NSC post. Usually a quiet observer!

I hope things start to improve. You are not alone and there are clearly good people on here who are there for you and will listen, so use the community on NSC as well as the professionals.

Great post my friend. I do take 5HTP, started about a month ago and find it a little helpful.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have been accused of this (having a mental health issue), and I refute it. But I would do, wouldn't I? I was recently called a moron by an eminent pharmacologist. I take that, from him, as a badge of honour. As I reach an old age, I have come to terms with the ****braincuntery of my fellow man. With numerous honourable exceptions.

My advice to strugglers, when you wake up each morning, tell yourself that you are right, and henceforth it is someone else's problem. Works for me. That and the drink.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
II've had anxiety problems since I was 7 years old. When my parents first took me to the doctors at that age, they weren't so receptive as they are today. I guess that was the 80s for you. They told my parents to give me a mint and tell me it was medicine and it would solve everything. Obviously that didn't work and I missed quite a bit of school during that time. Throughout secondary school I was largely OK, though every day I would feel horrid, I did have decent attendance and it was only certain things like trips which I would avoid. My late teens throughout college I was largely alright, then university was extremely difficult and I transferred back to Brighton uni so that I could be closer to home. My 20s were pretty bad and then when I hit 30 it almost dissapeared completely, I was playing in a band, touring around, getting up on a stage and not giving a monkeys. Then out of nowhere, the last two years have been incredibly difficult. I'm just starting to climb back out the othe other side now, but I had severe agoraphobia, where even walking to the top of my road would cause panic attacks. I tried all sorts of therapy, cbt, hypnotherapy, accupuncture, all sorts. I'm getting better now and am slowly extending my 'comfort zone' so to speak, I can do about a mile radius of my house currently, which includes preston park, so getting out for little walks is something I try to do every day. Supermarkets and shops are difficult, really any situation where I feel like I can't 'escape'. The great underlying cause has always been a fear of throwing up, wierdly enough. It's called emetophobia and is a shit, because it can snowball so quickly since feeling slightly unwell makes me anxious, which in turn makes me feel unwell, which makes me anxious etc etc, To be honest though, I'm not sure if it wasn't this, it wouldn't just be something else.

One of the real *******s of this is obviously I haven't been up to the amex at all for this season or last. It's actually the reason I rarely make posts about anything, but especially the football, since I've only been able to follow it on the radio/streams. It frustrates the **** out of me and what a couple of seasons to miss... The flipside of that is it's also the reason I joined nsc, as I was looking for more and more ways to get my albion fix, since getting to the matches has been a a no go. I'm currently in the process of sorting out another batch of therapy which I hope will help me out enough to speed up the recovery.

I'm not really ashamed of any of this, but admitting it to nsc isn't something I'm that thilled about, but in the spirit of being more up front about these things... My friends are all aware and understanding which I'm thankful of, because it's all the lieing you have to do that really drags you down over time. I work from home now but making excuses to work mates and friends about why you couldn't make their birthday and things like that can get a little soul destroying.

At least you know you're not alone, PM me any time :smile:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I am unclear what the purpose of this thread is?
Many people have mental health issues. Some can come and go, some get stronger and milder as life events occur.
But posting as an anonymous user of a web-based Forum? Please help me to understand, what does that achieve?
I could state that I have, or do not have, any number of physical or mental health issues on this Forum. I am just wondering what, if anything, I achieve by that?
I am genuinely not trying to run you down, slate the original post or anything like that - I just genuinely don't (yet) understand why you invite others to state whether they do or do not have such issues.

Perhaps, opening up, on an anonymous forum helps us? I don't know to be honest. But it isn't a bad thing to admit to it? Us great big hairy footy fans, of which we're all well 'ard.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I get the feeling no-one wants to admit, the forum is too big.

Sadly there are too many idiots on this forum who would use it against you in an argument or discussion. I posted about my sons autism a couple of years ago and had that thrown in my face during a discussion about immigration.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think i may do, i find it really difficult to leave the house unless it is for work, which there are many things in place to keep me safe, or the football, but only if i have somebody i trust. It6 has stopped me doing many things like learning to drive, which could help me further my life all the way down to just visiting my mother. This has led me to leaving my social circle, with my only real social activity coming on here or playing games online. I also find it very difficult to talk to people face to face, even my own family and that is just making it worse. It's only been recently that i've noticed these problems and thought i should get help, but that means leaving the house or talking to someone over the phone, Has anyone had these issues and gotten over them? if so how? I'm also happy for this to be in the public domain as it could help me and even others.

Probably a bit late on this post but have you spoken to your doctor? You may be somewhere on the ausitm spectrum (not trying to diagnose you). I am sure to could access help with this and find some people to help you with the anxiety.

Mar 24, 2011
I have suffered with depression and anxiety for most of my adult life, used alcohol & drugs to deal with it. Admitted to alcoholism 2 years ago not touched a drop since and my depression and anxiety has improved more than I ever thought possible

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Don't forget NSC is 24hours there are plenty of us Downunder and around throughout the night. I am only a PM away for anyone that wants/needs to talk.

Been battling with Depression the last few years, never realised how hard it would be to be away from one's roots. Coupled with trying to assist my boy on the autism spectrum and feeling the frustraion of his battles through life. Low dose medication is helping me a long but nothing more than running, yoga and playing football while finding myself part of a club with lots of ex pats.

Good health people, this thread is testimony to the good shit that happens on NSC. Love this community.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sadly there are too many idiots on this forum who would use it against you in an argument or discussion. I posted about my sons autism a couple of years ago and had that thrown in my face during a discussion about immigration.

It says more about them than you.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I hear you. Not a drama queen.

You are allowed to feel down. Have you got a plan in place when the worst of it comes? Coming on here and talking about it is a good start. I used to talk to http://www.samaritans.org/.

I think someone messaged me and said you helped them. I have no plan no, well I do, I need to get back to work. From what I heard you are a very caring person. And yes I know it's late before anyone says anything. I went to bed and got up around midnight. It may not mean much to people but having something around you that you can love, cat, dog, rat, doesn't matter, does help. But, when you are like this you just think of when they'll die, not the time you have with them, it really is the hardest thing to explain. I think I'm a little stronger tonight for speaking to people here. But maybe not, maybe I am still clouded through alcohol.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Absurd: yep, I agree with you,

Non collaboration with the Capitalist System
Information Deficit Disorder (what's going on?)
Taxi Drivers against Global Warming
Cassandra Complex

We've all got disorders now. Just think of a name for it .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here