Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Never met the guy but I’m thinking in the nicest way of course that perhaps Ernest does have some type of mental health problems. Just a hunch ..

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Never met the guy but I’m thinking in the nicest way of course that perhaps Ernest does have some type of mental health problems. Just a hunch ..

What a disgraceful thing to say. People like you are part of the reason sufferers don't always seek help because of ridicule. Grow up.

I'm having a tough time at the moment with my physical health - anaemia - which causes severe pain throughout my body (cramp in my feet, hands, stomach, back, arms etc) . If it wasn't for the care of the nurses I'd be in a very difficult place mentally. I have my good and my bad days but have learnt to live with it and appreciate nice things like the sun shining strongly as it has today.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Yes another colleague has issues and the other retires in five weeks.
My boss has had issues with his mental well-being himself and has disappeared for months at a time.

We have managed and kept his business afloat during that period.
He can be bet controlling reads our emails, microphone in the office etc.
Yet he avoids contact with us when he can.
Anyway I could leave, but it’s not ideal, it seems to be a lot worse since I’m the only one dealing with sites, actually thinking about it that makes sense since I’ve known I’m gonna be doing more soon.
Figures wise the other two have done 30k each since Xmas and I’ve done 128k and there on more money than me.

Think I’m a mug to be honest, and I’ve reached that point we’re I can’t do it anymore without help.

What I’m worried about is my health and my wife or anyone believing me when I say I think my heart is going to explode or my head is so light it feels I’m drunk, could this get worse I’m shocked at the lack of support from the doctor as if he does not believe me, if he doesn’t who will, I was shaking when I was taking to him. Nothing.... Ah there are people in a worse state than me, sorry.

I have occasionally from a young age yes been sick with excitement about going out which I still get, so maybe yes.

Your boss sounds like a bellend and you are blaming yourself for feeling anxious and fearful of your job? Sounds like you could do with a nice sit down and giving yourself a damn good listening to.

Anxiety (classical) is precisely the feeling that you are going to die. The way to manage an attack is to concentrate on your breathing. Look at your watch and time your breathing so you take no more than 10 breaths in a minute...you could try the old breathing into a paper bag as you rebreathe C02 that way and this will depress your resps.

In A&E I would see many men per day suffering with acute anxiety, it's terrifying and totally debilitating. Men suffer more than women as they don't get their emotions out through talking...women don't have the same problem.

The Doctor COULD prescribe you beta blockers as that stops the adrenaline response "fight or flight" that is Behind all panic attacks but...and this may or may not be important, it renders many men impotent...it's the old benefit ladder I'm afraid.

Seriously mate, get yourself another job, earn what you deserve...give yourself a break.

I'd give you a bro hug if I were there.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Your boss sounds like a bellend and you are blaming yourself for feeling anxious and fearful of your job? Sounds like you could do with a nice sit down and giving yourself a damn good listening to.

Anxiety (classical) is precisely the feeling that you are going to die. The way to manage an attack is to concentrate on your breathing. Look at your watch and time your breathing so you take no more than 10 breaths in a minute...you could try the old breathing into a paper bag as you rebreathe C02 that way and this will depress your resps.

In A&E I would see many men per day suffering with acute anxiety, it's terrifying and totally debilitating. Men suffer more than women as they don't get their emotions out through talking...women don't have the same problem.

The Doctor COULD prescribe you beta blockers as that stops the adrenaline response "fight or flight" that is Behind all panic attacks but...and this may or may not be important, it renders many men impotent...it's the old benefit ladder I'm afraid.

Seriously mate, get yourself another job, earn what you deserve...give yourself a break.

No job is ever worth staying in if you hate it. I can’t say I’ve ever suffered mental illness in the way many on the thread speak of, but I have had a job I hated. I quit after four years of teaching and it was the best decision I’ve made.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley

I am 41 and had mental health issues since I was about 6, I thought his was in good humour and mildly amusing not sure why people are getting the hump

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I have never had any mental health issues of note apart from the odd "blue" period, witnessed it first hand but this last few days, wow!

I had an operation on my shoulder early April (went to Palace game with a plentiful supply of morphine, needed it!) I was put on tramadol 100mg every 4 hours. I returned to work two weeks ago, happily travelling about doing my visits, driving 1700 odd miles in the process. Wednesday evening staying in a hotel in Bath I went though the night without taking any tablets as I was not in much pain. Good I thought I can stop taking these strong tablets and only take the paracetamol.

Thursday I drove to Woking for a meeting and then spent the afternoon at Meantime Brewery (I work for Asahi who own Meantime). i drove back home at 6pm.

By 9pm, Jesus, I felt ill, hot sweats, cold sweats, shaking, aching and an overwhelming feeling of doom. Without a wink all night I went into Friday, crying, restless, aching. I went to my doctors who did urgent blood tests and sent me home, offering no advice to my feelings. He phoned later to say no markers shown on my tests take it easy and phone 111 if I felt worse. As this point during my better moments and with help from my wife we started to get info from the internet.

Friday night again no sleep but Saturday day feeling a little more composed wtched the wedding and FA Bore, night sleep? No longer than 20 mins at a time. Sunday morning I'd really had had enough and was ready to do anything to stop the torture. My wife took me to hospital, the fact i had been made to walk and talk helped. What I was told by the doctor didn't. While being as nice and concerned as he possibly be he dismissed any withdrawal from the drug but told me that due to the op and then the pain killers my brain, my "operating system" had downloaded a new version that had a few issues. Going forwards I would need proper counseling and he would instigate this urgently and that I was to immediately take time off work.

So here was I, a person who had, had over 8 differing op's in my life had, had no issues with any previous drugs or being anaesthetised and suddenly going from being a "normal" working chap to this mess. When I queried his diagnosis his reply was most mental health has a trigger, this was yours. Facing this fact was the beginning to feeling better.

Leaving to go home I was determined to show the doctors that they were wrong. I fully accept there's triggers. The info I had gathered from people's true life experiences written by them on the web, from all walks of life made me challenge the doctors. I went to Tesco and what a weird feeling walking around wishing that you could cry because you had missed the milk and needed to return. My wife suggested buying some Nytol which we did, a natural product I had used previously (pre play off finals etc). I had not pushed for sleeping aids with the doctors as I didn't want another drug to mask the issue

I felt shite but made myself walk down to my local, not to drink as I'm on a "health" drive and haven't had a session for some time. Add to this I really believed it wasn't a good idea but felt getting out would help.Instead I sat there in the sun with my friends and we chatted about all things. A few comments were made that I was not myself, I told them of my previous few days but didn't want to dwell on it as I felt on the edge of disintegrating once more and was just about holding it together.

I went home, made myself eat a proper meal took one Nytol and as per instructions took a further one before retiring to the demon bed. The most uncomfortable unwelcoming room in the house full of bad vibes. An hour went by the horrible feelings resurfacing, I played the radio, R2, in fact I drifted off. I awoke three hours later in agony as I had rolled onto my shoulder. This was only for a short while and I again went to sleep for about two hours again waking but in total whilst broken sleep I slept in total 8 hours. Got up felt awful as in dog tired, had a shower, went to work, completed a training session for a new company as the instructor and am now at home writing this. Do I feel right? No. I'm still nervy, still a little "sad" but I feel so much better.

Why have I written this? Well not just to highlight my most frightening experience in my 50 years of life and how I fully appreciate how others feel but mainly because I'm shocked the doctors do not admit there's an issue with this drug.

The web is full of people like me who have stopped suddenly taking the drug and bang, you are hit with days of hell. My experience has followed the exact pattern of many and I mean many of others. Beware!

I'm having an op on my knee (4th time) Thursday, not sure I'm ready!!

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have never had any mental health issues of note apart from the odd "blue" period, witnessed it first hand but this last few days, wow!

I had an operation on my shoulder early April (went to Palace game with a plentiful supply of morphine, needed it!) I was put on tramadol 100mg every 4 hours. I returned to work two weeks ago, happily travelling about doing my visits, driving 1700 odd miles in the process. Wednesday evening staying in a hotel in Bath I went though the night without taking any tablets as I was not in much pain. Good I thought I can stop taking these strong tablets and only take the paracetamol.

Thursday I drove to Woking for a meeting and then spent the afternoon at Meantime Brewery (I work for Asahi who own Meantime). i drove back home at 6pm.

By 9pm, Jesus, I felt ill, hot sweats, cold sweats, shaking, aching and an overwhelming feeling of doom. Without a wink all night I went into Friday, crying, restless, aching. I went to my doctors who did urgent blood tests and sent me home, offering no advice to my feelings. He phoned later to say no markers shown on my tests take it easy and phone 111 if I felt worse. As this point during my better moments and with help from my wife we started to get info from the internet.

Friday night again no sleep but Saturday day feeling a little more composed wtched the wedding and FA Bore, night sleep? No longer than 20 mins at a time. Sunday morning I'd really had had enough and was ready to do anything to stop the torture. My wife took me to hospital, the fact i had been made to walk and talk helped. What I was told by the doctor didn't. While being as nice and concerned as he possibly be he dismissed any withdrawal from the drug but told me that due to the op and then the pain killers my brain, my "operating system" had downloaded a new version that had a few issues. Going forwards I would need proper counseling and he would instigate this urgently and that I was to immediately take time off work.

So here was I, a person who had, had over 8 differing op's in my life had, had no issues with any previous drugs or being anaesthetised and suddenly going from being a "normal" working chap to this mess. When I queried his diagnosis his reply was most mental health has a trigger, this was yours. Facing this fact was the beginning to feeling better.

Leaving to go home I was determined to show the doctors that they were wrong. I fully accept there's triggers. The info I had gathered from people's true life experiences written by them on the web, from all walks of life made me challenge the doctors. I went to Tesco and what a weird feeling walking around wishing that you could cry because you had missed the milk and needed to return. My wife suggested buying some Nytol which we did, a natural product I had used previously (pre play off finals etc). I had not pushed for sleeping aids with the doctors as I didn't want another drug to mask the issue

I felt shite but made myself walk down to my local, not to drink as I'm on a "health" drive and haven't had a session for some time. Add to this I really believed it wasn't a good idea but felt getting out would help.Instead I sat there in the sun with my friends and we chatted about all things. A few comments were made that I was not myself, I told them of my previous few days but didn't want to dwell on it as I felt on the edge of disintegrating once more and was just about holding it together.

I went home, made myself eat a proper meal took one Nytol and as per instructions took a further one before retiring to the demon bed. The most uncomfortable unwelcoming room in the house full of bad vibes. An hour went by the horrible feelings resurfacing, I played the radio, R2, in fact I drifted off. I awoke three hours later in agony as I had rolled onto my shoulder. This was only for a short while and I again went to sleep for about two hours again waking but in total whilst broken sleep I slept in total 8 hours. Got up felt awful as in dog tired, had a shower, went to work, completed a training session for a new company as the instructor and am now at home writing this. Do I feel right? No. I'm still nervy, still a little "sad" but I feel so much better.

Why have I written this? Well not just to highlight my most frightening experience in my 50 years of life and how I fully appreciate how others feel but mainly because I'm shocked the doctors do not admit there's an issue with this drug.

The web is full of people like me who have stopped suddenly taking the drug and bang, you are hit with days of hell. My experience has followed the exact pattern of many and I mean many of others. Beware!

Knee and shoulder....me too. Feb to April. Knee op....physio for neck...I expected to be depressed and I was....not sure it was the drugs (dihydrocodeine) ....life can be a ******* some times....hardly went to work in 3 months...generally irritable, occasionally tearful... very intolerant of thickies, ********s and nobbers....can't sleep through the night...but it is slowly improving....give it time and don't regard your mindset as wrong or permanent. And - all the best :wave:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Knee and shoulder....me too. Feb to April. Knee op....physio for neck...I expected to be depressed and I was....not sure it was the drugs (dihydrocodeine) ....life can be a ******* some times....hardly went to work in 3 months...generally irritable, occasionally tearful... very intolerant of thickies, ********s and nobbers....can't sleep through the night...but it is slowly improving....give it time and don't regard your mindset as wrong or permanent. And - all the best :wave:

May I ask, what's the injury to your shoulder and how did it occur? (I realise I'm digressing from the thread).

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford

This sounds incredibly tough for you. All the best, really hope things improve for you.

As an aside, I am lucky to have never suffered mental problems, but, having heard and read a reasonable amount about it, I am terrified of having to endure it at some point in my life.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
May I ask, what's the injury to your shoulder and how did it occur? (I realise I'm digressing from the thread).

Trapped nerve. Possibly related to increase in muscle mass after intense thrashes in gym. Like I'd been stabbed. By a mad *******. Adding to my carpel tunnel syndrome. Much worse than the effing knee (which was a Zlatan job). :shootself:shit::nono:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Thanks fella, I have taken a lot of good advise from this thread and a few private messages, I am more in control and recommend the breathing tips.
Work wise, can't say to much as people read the board....

Big Brother eh.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Yeah I can just picture it "So why do you want to join our golf club".... "well I have mental health issues"..... "Errr ok, you do realise we have only just let women start to play"
Besides cost, I am sure though it could be very therapeutic walking about thinking about nothing much but hitting a tiny ball as far as you can and then into a tiny hole....

That would make me worse...

Each to their own though.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This sounds incredibly tough for you. All the best, really hope things improve for you.

As an aside, I am lucky to have never suffered mental problems, but, having heard and read a reasonable amount about it, I am terrified of having to endure it at some point in my life.

Thought I'd give an update.

I been absolutely fine since my "lost" weekend apart from not sleeping well.

Today I had an operation on my knee for a torn cartilage. Fortunately I have health insurance and therefore had a little more time with the anesthetist than you would have with the NHS. Explaining my experience he stated that Tramadol is a horrible drug that should be withdrawn. This just proves my inclination that it was that ******* drug that made me so ill.

I'm now at home and going to use only paracetamol. This is my forth op on my knee so have an expectation of the pain level.

So apart from a sore shoulder still, but getting better and a sore knee, I'm sound of mind and looking forward to being waited on, again!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here