Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Does anyone have experience with taking drugs to treat depression and/or anxiety? Do they work long term? Sorry if this has been covered already

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

You need to talk with your quack mate. It as someone mentioned different horses different courses it really is which.. one /if any, dosaage and can depend on lots of variables Personally I am likely to need to be on meds the rest of my life some good folk need just a few months and for some other methods work just like change of lifestyle, CBT......

The one that worked for to an extent they wont prescribe to me in this country (England) due to its addictive nature and my addictive nature I was popping them a bit more than I should and felt good but even in SA I could only be on this one for a finite amount of time

Good luck and hope you find something that works for you wherever its drugs or even better (IMO) another solution. Its a marathon not a sprint so dont expect an overnight solution however GPs are much more taloired for issues like this these days in my experience and the 'taboo' of mental health is definitely less than it was. Its good to talk. Good luck

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
My anxiety is back after 5 years. Hate this feeling of dread and constant worry. Mine is work-related. Have told work and they'll try to help as much as possible, but I can't face it at the moment. Should I go to docs? Any natural remedies? TIA

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My anxiety is back after 5 years. Hate this feeling of dread and constant worry. Mine is work-related. Have told work and they'll try to help as much as possible, but I can't face it at the moment. Should I go to docs? Any natural remedies? TIA

Only advice I can give is to stay positive, talk to family, friends and of course on hear.
Good luck :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Sorry to hear that mate, I am no expert but try doing more of the things you love and shift the focus of your life. It is too easy for work to be the focal point of life, shift it so you spend your time thinking about his stuff.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

Definitely try to keep talking - I have also found that writing down what is causing the anxiety has helped me to some extent.
I experienced my first episode of depression 18 months ago - since then I have felt the feelings return a couple of times and for me I sought of decided it was ok and decided not to blame myself - I hope that makes sense it is quite difficult to describe it and obviously I am only describing it from my experience and would never dream of thinking I know how you feel or tell you what to do.

remember you are not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You could try Anxiety UK they have a range of resources and can give counselling and CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy). Might be something work could help you with too. CBT is about you processing irrational thoughts and balancing worry with likelihood and positive things you should be thinking.

Understanding anxiety is a key component in dealing with it. It is a primal reaction from our 'fight or flight' response, however our body and brain cannot compute the physical reaction to a fight or flight that has come just from an email or a thought about something that might go wrong. The physical reaction is the blood goes from your stomach to your muscles, adrenaline flows and your body is effectively ready to do something, only we're in the modern world and not a cave with a bear outside, so you're sat at your desk or whatever and suddenly your heart is racing, you feel a bit sick, a feeling of dread etc. and its really unpleasant.

Stay off caffeine and any stimulants like soft drinks. Drink plenty of water as any dehydration enhances that feeling.

Max Strom is worth a look, he talks about breathing and calming the body that can alleviate the symptoms of anxiety. May sound a bit ridiculous, but taking 5mins, breathing deeply in a controlled way can calm that inner panic. There are a few apps too, 'Mindfulness' is a good one talking you through daily 10mins of meditation. Yoga to is great for that calmness.

I get it, I know loads of people who also have gone through similar things, but I feel so much more positive about getting it under control.

TypicalPalace

May 5, 2013

I feel for you. I too have suffered with anxiety. It took over me from nowhere and mainly manifested in stopping me sleeping for over a year. a horrible unerring feeling in my stomach throughout the day just knowing what was waiting for me at night time. My job was stressful, although I didnt feel at the time it was anything too crazy but my brain decided that it was. Closing my eyes at night time brought all types of thoughts and images just rushing through my head that I just couldnt switch off, 100mph all in my head. Spoke with a Doctor who managed to get it through to me that it was just my mind playing games with me and that it would eventually pass. You will sleep when you sleep. I think once I tried to stop controlling the situation I kind of let go of it eventually. Still have feelings If I have a restless night or dont fall to sleep straight away that its come back and have waves of anxiety flooding back. But I just tell myself ive beaten it before and Ill do it again if needed. Really hope you get through this bad moment. I know it doesnt help now but you've beaten it before you can do it again. The mind is such a powerful and sometimes harmful thing to us all. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
Thanks for all your messages. Work are great and said take the time off to recover, "you are more important than your job". this was nice to hear.

However, the feelings are still there and I have made an appointment with the docs. So hopefully, with some advice/meds from the doc and with the helpful tips you've all mentioned and time off work, for whatever time that is, this will be lessened.

Thanks again.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Thanks for all your messages. Work are great and said take the time off to recover, "you are more important than your job". this was nice to hear.

However, the feelings are still there and I have made an appointment with the docs. So hopefully, with some advice/meds from the doc and with the helpful tips you've all mentioned and time off work, for whatever time that is, this will be lessened.

Thanks again.
Nothing to add except good luck.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Thanks again.

Employers have a duty of care, sounds like yours cares anyway good on em and you. I'll try and pm you in a coupla weeks, keep well sir

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

I actually joined this forum because of this thread last year. I'm no expert but from knowing people who have suffered from anxiety and depression the things that I have seen helping the most are meditation, mindfulness, exercise, cbt and cutting down alcohol.

Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world by Mark Williams, is a very good book for learning mindfulness. You tube have lots of guided meditations on there, it can take a while to find one you get on with sometimes the persons voice is annoying or the background noise. Some people like the sounds of waves, others like music but there are loads to choose from.

Mindfulness and meditation takes practice, when you start and find your brain is still going off in different directions don't think it's not working, it's normal.

Exercise is very important, just a 20 minute walk everyday can make a big difference, it works very well when you can't be bothered to go when it's raining etc, force yourself and start tonight.

A Dr can 'prescribe' an online cbt course that is provided by the NHS.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
You could try Anxiety UK they have a range of resources and can give counselling and CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy). Might be something work could help you with too. CBT is about you processing irrational thoughts and balancing worry with likelihood and positive things you should be thinking.

Understanding anxiety is a key component in dealing with it. It is a primal reaction from our 'fight or flight' response, however our body and brain cannot compute the physical reaction to a fight or flight that has come just from an email or a thought about something that might go wrong. The physical reaction is the blood goes from your stomach to your muscles, adrenaline flows and your body is effectively ready to do something, only we're in the modern world and not a cave with a bear outside, so you're sat at your desk or whatever and suddenly your heart is racing, you feel a bit sick, a feeling of dread etc. and its really unpleasant.

Stay off caffeine and any stimulants like soft drinks. Drink plenty of water as any dehydration enhances that feeling.

Max Strom is worth a look, he talks about breathing and calming the body that can alleviate the symptoms of anxiety. May sound a bit ridiculous, but taking 5mins, breathing deeply in a controlled way can calm that inner panic. There are a few apps too, 'Mindfulness' is a good one talking you through daily 10mins of meditation. Yoga to is great for that calmness.

I get it, I know loads of people who also have gone through similar things, but I feel so much more positive about getting it under control.

Thank you for your contributions to this thread. I have anxiety, really stress induced, which manifests itself mostly in social situations, particularly in 1 on 1 environments.

I have had a couple of rounds of counselling for anxiety. The first was spectacularly unsuccessful, and I left feeling pretty insulted at how my issues had been approached (non-NHS provider). The second (through NHS), a couple of years later, blew my mind - gave me an understanding of the thought patterns and associated physiological reactions I would never have reached myself. And it gave me a toolkit to manage the anxiety a lot better. This was 6/7 sessions. A few months later, I didn't really feel much had changed, I missed the counselling sessions. But then I realised that I was depending on someone else to solve my problems; it was up to me to manage it - my anxiety was often bubbling under at 60%, which meant a small trigger pushed it up to 80-90% and unbearable levels. The key for me was keeping it at 20-30%, so a 20% increase only pushed it to 50%, a more manageable level.

This worked for a year or so, but a particularly stressful project has tipped me back over the edge and encouraged me to seek help again. While I still am able to 'manage' the anxiety, that is a reaction to the anxiety already existing. My aim now is to start to unwind the thought patterns that trigger it to prevent it from arising in the first place. Not expecting it to be easy, but something I'm going to really commit to for the next few months at least. It's not something that I think ever disappears, you need to keep on top of it and keep your brain in good health - anxiety/depression is often the result of years of thought processes which are damaging, become second nature to you and an immediate reaction.

I was on anti-depressants for a while, though I think I never really had depression - more feeling extremely low after a couple of issues life throws at you, and feeling helpless to turn it around as a result of the anxiety. As others have said, they can work wonders in the short term - once I felt stabilised I abruptly took myself off them. Not recommended I'm sure, but they do numb you to a certain extent.

Bit of a ramble, but wanted to contribute to an important thread. When I've read other forums online concerning mental health, you read tons of stories about peoples' issues and you think, oh that doesn't describe me, and then when you finally read one that chimes with your experience it can help immensely. Both to realise you're not the only person going through what you go through, and to reach out to find out how they deal with it.

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
Got an appt for Friday and work have said, stay at home and start to get better and will reallocate work. I would love to do exercise, but still recovering from a broken leg in October, which might be contributing to the situation. Thanks again to you all.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Got an appt for Friday and work have said, stay at home and start to get better and will reallocate work. I would love to do exercise, but still recovering from a broken leg in October, which might be contributing to the situation. Thanks again to you all.

Good luck for Friday. I have also suffered with anxiety for the past 15 years (see post 53). Thankfully I am in a really good place at the moment and an nearly leading a normal life again.

I am always a bit nervous about giving advise to other people suffering with anxiety and I am not an expert. I am a complete expert on my own anxiety, but this maybe different from yours.

Feel free to PM me if you want any help or advise or even a chat.

One bit of advise that always kept me going during the dark times was the saying "nothing lasts for every, everything passes". You will get better and normality will return.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I had two months off work through anxiety, I had probably been suffering about 3-5 years previously with the last year being very bad. It triggered OCD activity which was mentally paralysing for me. I told no one, I got on with work and more than coped because I was good at my job but now it took twice the effort. Doctor thought I would not go back to work but I did and worked for another 3 years doing well.

For me the key things were

a)See a doctor but make sure they actually listen and understand the issues you are raising. My first GP did not understand mental health issues, the second was excellent.
b) talk about it with those who are willing to listen
c) don't be shy to admit where you are , its surprising the amount of support I had from people AND gave people who were in same situation who had kept it hidden
d) keep being positive - i had 3 lots of CBT some of which took me in the wrong direction but last lot was good. This was with the NHS.
e) don't be afraid of taking doctor's prescribed pills. In my case I was given a low dosage and it did not work and went on a higher dosage for quite a while. This gave me time to change things i.e. to be a better place while changes I made came into place. These do impact you e.g. I was tired but I could cope so much better.
f) After 5 years I am still on tablets but at half strength
g) mine comes back occasionally ,October time (might be SAD) so I have a strategy for dealing and I have not been back in the dark hole I was in

Always happy to discuss so pm if you want to.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
Went through most of what's been said not long ago.Total of 8 weeks off work.Luckily I found a doctor who I felt at ease with(major plus).Along with the pills was offererd a place at a counceling session locally. Although they couldn't totally cure the anxiety, they gave me tecniques to lower it. Plus I bought a bike and rode each morn and vowed to get fitter.From my exp, I found exercise, pills and right person to talk to are upmost to regaining a hold on the true reality.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Anxiety is a near impossible thing to explain to people, you either understand it or you don't. A mate of mine could never understand what I was talking about until he was training for the Brighton triathlon last year, the sea swim was worrying him but he was training ok in the pool and he felt he'd be fine. Then a week before the event he went out in the sea for the first time, with a group of others, and found it to be rough and unforgiving. The next week he spent worrying about the sea swim and almost talked himself out of the whole event. In the end, I was there with him at the start and sat on the beach until he'd finished the sea swim leg and following a big man hug and cheeky pat on the bum, he got on with the rest of the triathlon and has a new found understanding for what it is to suffer with anxiety.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anxiety is a near possible thing to explain to people, you either understand it or you don't. A mate of mine could never understand what I was talking about until he was training for the Brighton triathlon last year, the sea swim was worrying him but he was training ok in the pool and he felt he'd be fine. Then a week before the event he went out in the sea for the first time, with a group of others, and found it to be rough and unforgiving. The next week he spent worrying about the sea swim and almost talked himself out of the whole event. In the end, I was there with him at the start and sat on the beach until he'd finished the sea swim leg and following a big man hug and cheeky pat on the bum, he got on with the rest of the triathlon and has a new found understanding for what it is to suffer with anxiety.

Anxiety is a pig of a thing. Alcohol doesn't help but it's easy to say avoid it but very hard to do because it deals with the short term feeling of anxiety. I've had it for a number of years and for a while was effectively an alcoholic. I've cut back a lot now ( but still drink too much ) and my anxiety is much better. It's that moment of a 'bolt' through your body I hate the most. As you say,extremely difficult for non-suffers to understand. Good luck to all those that have it.

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
Thanks all. Will take all that on board. Work has been mental and the fact that I can still do lots of stuff at work was really shielding the problem. Monday was a nightmare, I couldn't do a simple graph on excel, normally something that's easy to me. That was the last straw, as I can't focus and do the simple things. I am already feeling guilty about dropping my team in it with so much to do, losing my job, what are they all thinking etc., but I am mentally and physically burnt out.

I've tried working from home today to see if that helps in any way, but to no avail.

I'll keep you all posted on how things go with apt on Friday etc. as it is good to talk and share those issues.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here