Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Piegate

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The whole thing has made the FA Cup look TIN POT , idiots grabbing money anyway they can and Sutton are as bad getting rid of their usual sponsors so they can GRAB Murdoch's cash

Daft thing is that all these Wembley Finals in recently-discredited tournaments are there for the taking for clubs that take them half-seriously and don't snootily treat them with perennial disrespect and play most of their reserve team. Which has excluded the Albion in recent years. We obviously don't need the revenue and would prefer our first team to come back ring-rusty from a week indoors playing Playstation. Oh well. :shrug:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There's a few things that don't add up. Someone on here said they'd have restricted a bet like that to a max stake (£20 or even £10) which was my exact assumption - like the 'transfer' markets are - in case of inside info. I'd fully expect it to be restricted. Yet SunBets tweeted they'd paid out a '5 figure sum' - I guess it could be a misleading tweet - 5 figures in total - not to one punter?

Also there seems to be different rumours as to whether the keeper had £s on himself? You'd think it would be via a friend if he did...?
If he just did it for a laugh cos he knew about the betting market then he can't win either way?! Unprofessional yes, but if he didn't eat it he'd be fixing the bet too!!!

Basically these 'fun' paddy power style markets should all be dropped.

And the Sun are scum as we knew anyway.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Same difference; there is no permissible level for exceeding the speed limit either.
It isn't the same. You can go so far with the speed you drive and can therefore creep over. This is a straight binary option - you do something wrong or you don't. There isn't a threshold. As I said after, a better analogy is using a phone whilst driving.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Unprofessional yes, but if he didn't eat it he'd be fixing the bet too!!!

There was no betting option of him to "not eat a pie". It was only for him "to eat a pie".

People have specifically bet on him to do an action. No one bet on him "not to eat a pie". If he is aware of the bet, and that friends have bet on it and does it knowing the consequences, then that's a DEFINITE breaking of the betting rules.

He has no excuses here. The act was obviously silly, but the knowing fixing of a bet, however silly, is still fixing a bet.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
To be honest, I think this is such a sad human interest story. I really feel for the guy. I doubt he's the brightest bulb and he has had his life ruined by this. Last week, he was having the time of his career, looking forward to the biggest match he'd ever be involved in, in his life. A fantastic moment in time for him, his family and his club that he could never replicate. Then the match sponsors set up a bet, specific to him. Not a bet affecting the match outcome and not based on any skill or good fortune for the punter. So a contrivance and a publicity stunt by sponsors in the hope the poor guy would be dumb enough to fall for it which, of course, he did despite apparently not placing a bet himself. Next day, the doo doo hits the fan. The best time of his life becomes the worst nightmare as everything falls apart. He is forced to resign, he ends up in tears and so distraught on the phone to his boss that boss has to terminate the call. He has a family and a mortgage to pay and has lost everything. Now facing an FA investigation. People have committed suicide in the face of such devastation just because some kiddy at a bookies comes up with a personal bet that should be illegal. The bookies should have their gaming license suspended pending an investigation in to their role. Nothing funny in the whole sorry saga. Yet Joey Barton, who could afford never to work again, plays on!

Last edited:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
To be honest, I think this is such a sad human interest story. I really feel for the guy. I doubt he's the brightest bulb and he has had his life ruined by this. Last week, he was having the time of his career, looking forward to the biggest match he'd ever be involved in, in his life. A fantastic moment in time for him, his family and his club that he could never replicate. Then the match sponsors set up a bet, specific to him. Not a bet affecting the match outcome and not based on any skill or good fortune for the punter. So a contrivance and a publicity stunt by sponsors in the hope the poor guy would be dumb enough to fall for it which, of course, he did despite apparently not placing a bet himself. Next day, the doo doo hits the fan. The best time of his life becomes the worst nightmare as everything falls apart. He is forced to resign, he ends up in tears and so distraught on the phone to his boss that boss has to terminate the call. He has a family and a mortgage to pay and has lost everything. Now facing an FA investigation. People have committed suicide in the face of such devastation just because some kiddy at a bookies comes up with a personal bet that should be illegal. The bookies should have their gaming license suspended pending an investigation in to their role. Nothing funny in the whole sorry saga. Yet Joey Barton, who could afford never to work again, plays on!

This exactly. Poor c**t. The only way he could of got out of any trouble was not to turn up at the most important game in his life. If he had or had not ate the pie, he could still be considered to be influencing the bet outcome. He's been stitched up like a kipper, while scum like Barton carry on making millions. :censored:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here