Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Piegate

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought it was hilarious when I saw it on tele - sorry the bloke lost his job over it. Suppose that was inevitable if it was a betting scam- but I can't see how it could be more than a minor one; I'd blame the bookies that took the bets rather than the bloke himself.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I think the Club asked him to resign because if there is any financial implication it won't hit them, it will hit him, and he can claim individually unable to pay up. I'm sure one day they'll have him back. Even though they had to dismiss him for nutting a visiting supporter a few years ago! Colourful character, worth keeping on board.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A little common sense by the bookies says that nobody would have bet on it unless they had either inside info from a very good source or the man himself so this should have warned them not to accept the bet.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I honestly thought he made a joke of himself and a mockery of the professionalism in the lower leagues. I honestly detest the cliched coverage of the BBC to clubs that do actually pride themselves on their approach, and yet year after year, oh look at the showers, oh look at the tea bar, oh this player is a postman on Thursdays... At Conference National level these are really well run, mostly professional clubs. So you get some twonk eating a pie, but it actually belittles the game by pretending its something it is not. The players are more than decent at this level as this season has shown, and they don't need a self serving idiot and the BBC to make out its just a load of brick layers playing for a pub team. The joke was thankfully on him. He did neither himself, his club or any around this level any good at all.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I honestly thought he made a joke of himself and a mockery of the professionalism in the lower leagues. I honestly detest the cliched coverage of the BBC to clubs that do actually pride themselves on their approach, and yet year after year, oh look at the showers, oh look at the tea bar, oh this player is a postman on Thursdays... At Conference National level these are really well run, mostly professional clubs. So you get some twonk eating a pie, but it actually belittles the game by pretending its something it is not. The players are more than decent at this level as this season has shown, and they don't need a self serving idiot and the BBC to make out its just a load of brick layers playing for a pub team. The joke was thankfully on him. He did neither himself, his club or any around this level any good at all.

By far the best analysis of this whole sorry episode I have read anywhere.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
A little common sense by the bookies says that nobody would have bet on it unless they had either inside info from a very good source or the man himself so this should have warned them not to accept the bet.
But that implies they were concerned about the potential losses. Like all of the "fun" bets this is about publicity and they have got shed loads - well worth it. Just a shame about the collateral damage.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Very well put. I've found the coverage embarrassing for years from a number of outlets.

That IS NOT the "magic of the cup". You don't need to artificially recreate it.

There is a story about Lincoln and what's happening down there, some bloke eating a pie has nothing to do with it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think the Club asked him to resign because if there is any financial implication it won't hit them, it will hit him, and he can claim individually unable to pay up. I'm sure one day they'll have him back. Even though they had to dismiss him for nutting a visiting supporter a few years ago! Colourful character, worth keeping on board.

I think his playing days were over anyway.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the Club asked him to resign because if there is any financial implication it won't hit them, it will hit him, and he can claim individually unable to pay up.
Who exactly can make a claim against him? The only people that can have lost are the bookies. They're the ones that created the bet, so they can hardly get upset when one of the outcomes of the bet they offered came true.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
The guy was simply having some fun. Didn't affect the outcome or integrity of the game in any way.
During the last Australian federal election count, one of our best known tv journalists was made aware that a betting agency was taking bets on what colour tie he was going to wear.
So on the election night coverage he wore six different ties to cover the six options the agency was taking bets on. Anyone who placed a bet won.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e/news-story/dd1c78f69c7ec2d036793a80c301e691

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
The guy was simply having some fun. Didn't affect the outcome or integrity of the game in any way.
During the last Australian federal election count, one of our best known tv journalists was made aware that a betting agency was taking bets on what colour tie he was going to wear.
So on the election night coverage he wore six different ties to cover the six options the agency was taking bets on. Anyone who placed a bet won.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e/news-story/dd1c78f69c7ec2d036793a80c301e691

HaHa, fun has left the building on this thread.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
S*n Bets totally exploited this game for their own benefit and pretty much stitched the keeper up. All very squalid in my opinion it definitely diminishes the magic of the cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here