Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Piegate

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I honestly thought he made a joke of himself and a mockery of the professionalism in the lower leagues. I honestly detest the cliched coverage of the BBC to clubs that do actually pride themselves on their approach, and yet year after year, oh look at the showers, oh look at the tea bar, oh this player is a postman on Thursdays... At Conference National level these are really well run, mostly professional clubs. So you get some twonk eating a pie, but it actually belittles the game by pretending its something it is not. The players are more than decent at this level as this season has shown, and they don't need a self serving idiot and the BBC to make out its just a load of brick layers playing for a pub team. The joke was thankfully on him. He did neither himself, his club or any around this level any good at all.
Do you get as angry when someone does 71 mph on the motorway? Because that was about the magnitude of the offence; yes, it was an offence, but was very funny too.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its a funny one really, I don't think there is any suggestion of collusion between the player ad the bookies is there, its just that the bookies created the bet, he found about it and thought funny to eat a pie. Some of his mates bet on it.

It seems he broke the FA rules of getting involved in betting on anything to do with matches though, so daft apeth.

But then I think to myself, if he knew about the bet, and wanted a pie but deliberately DIDN'T eat the pie, wouldn't that also be colluding with the bookies (and this time they win the bet)?? Isn't he really in a no-win situation?

Plus, what about the BBC? The bet was 'seen eating a pie on television' - so isn't the TV editor equally at fault by directing his cameras to show pictures of a substitute eating a pie on live TV - the editor must also have known about the bet beforehand

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He's guilty.

He referred to it as "banter".

"Banter" is code word for "non-humorous/politically incorrect/illegal activity"

I hate this word. It's even worse when it's shortened to bantz

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Do you get as angry when someone does 71 mph on the motorway? Because that was about the magnitude of the offence; yes, it was an offence, but was very funny too.

It was very funny, I just don't get it. no one got hurt and a fat bloke ate a pie on live telly, FFS. :wozza:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Do you get as angry when someone does 71 mph on the motorway? QUOTE]

Very much this. With regards to betting, here is a list of things which are much more in need of investigation :

Fixed odds betting terminals and the ability to do thousands of pounds in one in your high street bookie in your lunch hour. That or launder drug money through it
Match fixing in Indian cricket
The nonsense of SP in Horse racing
Restrictions of accounts for anyone that turns a profit
The ability to hoover up money on betfair in the knowledge a horse has been withdrawn from a race or is a non trier.
There are loads more.

In terms of issues with betting, a fat bloke eating a pie so his mates can turn a few quid (They would have been restricted to £20 max no doubt) is as minor as it gets. In all probability Sunbets were complicit anyway.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Nonsense. It was quite funny watching a cricketer over step the line by a yard but it also happened to be match fixing. Same with kicking the ball out from the kick off. Sun Bets should be fined for laying such a stupid bet as it is inviting trouble. 71 in a 70 makes no sense here as there is no permissible spot fixing that he has just over stepped the bounds of. He did something to win/allow others to win a bet with a bookmaker. I am sure that was no evil intent but it must be dealt with in the same way as other spot fixing. Obviously the punishment should represent the intent but you can't just laugh it off.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fat bloke eats pie. I didn't find it "hilarious" at the time I saw it, as it was pretty obvious from the way he stepped out and did it so ostentatiously that it was blatantly all done for the cameras, so it all felt a bit contrived at the time. Like one of those clips you see where someone pretends to have some kind of accident and films it, in the hope that it goes viral and they get a little bit of fame off the back of it. So it wasn't overly surprising that as it turned out, it was indeed a pre-conceived stunt.

Harmless enough as far as the actual match was concerned, it didn't affect anything I suppose. But he made himself look a tit, he made Sutton United FC look like a tinpot club (when his team-mates were on the pitch doing a good job of doing the exact opposite), and the fact it was all driven by that gruesome vile rag made it all a bit icky for me.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Fat bloke eats pie. I didn't find it "hilarious" at the time I saw it, as it was pretty obvious from the way he stepped out and did it so ostentatiously that it was blatantly all done for the cameras, so it all felt a bit contrived at the time. Like one of those clips you see where someone pretends to have some kind of accident and films it, in the hope that it goes viral and they get a little bit of fame off the back of it. So it wasn't overly surprising that as it turned out, it was indeed a pre-conceived stunt.

Harmless enough as far as the actual match was concerned, it didn't affect anything I suppose. But he made himself look a tit, he made Sutton United FC look like a tinpot club (when his team-mates were on the pitch doing a good job of doing the exact opposite), and the fact it was all driven by that gruesome vile rag made it all a bit icky for me.
True that. To go with the car analogy, it is like glancing at your phone for a couple of seconds when driving rather than sending a full on text. Stupid and the bloke has paid a bigger price than maybe he deserved but bookmakers aren't above the law. To offer a bet when the only way of it coming in is for the person involved to be complicit should bring a heavy punishment to stamp it out.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
True that. To go with the car analogy, it is like glancing at your phone for a couple of seconds when driving rather than sending a full on text. Stupid and the bloke has paid a bigger price than maybe he deserved but bookmakers aren't above the law. To offer a bet when the only way of it coming in is for the person involved to be complicit should bring a heavy punishment to stamp it out.

The Gambling Commission are investigating the circumstances behind the bet so 'Sun Bets' may yet find the publicity the stunt brought them not worth it

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is that the same fatty goalie that played v Lewes at the Drpping Pan v (I think) Eastleigh a few years back, anybody know? Can't think where's too many of that GIRTH at that level, either then or now.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The Gambling Commission are investigating the circumstances behind the bet so 'Sun Bets' may yet find the publicity the stunt brought them not worth it
Slap on the wrist I would guess. Followed by odds on Pardew dancing when his next team score a goal. Might be Sutton in trouble again, then.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nonsense. It was quite funny watching a cricketer over step the line by a yard..
Nonsense. t wasn't funny.

71 in a 70 makes no sense here as there is no permissible spot fixing that he has just over stepped the bounds of.
Same difference; there is no permissible level for exceeding the speed limit either. Agree though that this was a very minor offence - rap on the knuckles would have been quite enough, not losing his job.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Its a funny one really, I don't think there is any suggestion of collusion between the player ad the bookies is there, its just that the bookies created the bet, he found about it and thought funny to eat a pie. Some of his mates bet on it.

It seems he broke the FA rules of getting involved in betting on anything to do with matches though, so daft apeth.

But then I think to myself, if he knew about the bet, and wanted a pie but deliberately DIDN'T eat the pie, wouldn't that also be colluding with the bookies (and this time they win the bet)?? Isn't he really in a no-win situation?

Plus, what about the BBC? The bet was 'seen eating a pie on television' - so isn't the TV editor equally at fault by directing his cameras to show pictures of a substitute eating a pie on live TV - the editor must also have known about the bet beforehand

He chose his moment to step forward so the camera couldn't miss him. Of course, he knew what he was doing.
Would it have had the same effect if he was just 12 stone and the reserve keeper?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He chose his moment to step forward so the camera couldn't miss him. Of course, he knew what he was doing.

The only guilty party here IMHO is the company offering the bet in the first place. Of COURSE the fatty keeper was going to take it up for what doubtless seemed to him and his mates a bit of harmless fun. Which it was in the end.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The only guilty party here IMHO is the company offering the bet in the first place. Of COURSE the fatty keeper was going to take it up for what doubtless seemed to him and his mates a bit of harmless fun. Which it was in the end.

I see it as everyone is talking about the keeper, bets and pies, rather than Sutton Utd doing so well in the FA cup. I'm sure his team mates, who played well, are delighted he has detracted from all their good work.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I see it as everyone is talking about the keeper, bets and pies, rather than Sutton Utd doing so well in the FA cup. I'm sure his team mates, who played well, are delighted he has detracted from all their good work.

I'm thinking that most fair-minded people would appreciate both aspects of the tie and the fatty goalie will be elevated to the status of Club Legend as a result. Whereas the guys who got them that far will be quickly forgotten. Life can be SO unfair sometimes :lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here