Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best burger in Brighton

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 17, 2008
Wow is that still there? I remember my first ever burger there, they just had a big fire pit with a mesh grill over it. At the time it was one of the most amazing things I'd ever eaten. I had only had a Wimpy prior to that, we're talking mid to late 70s.
Sounds like I’m shilling for Uncle Sam’s but they’re a bit of an institution IMHO. Their chili cheese burger as a kid was absolutely to die for. I had one again (this time a double) a few months for the first time in a while and it was identical. The taste of my childhood birthday’s/special treats exactly as it was back then,

New staff, different suppliers etc but that classic Uncle Sam’s taste. I like Grubbs too (and the classic A23 meat out of a van - is he still with us?) but Uncle Sam’s was always special.

The one on Montpelier is the original store, and I believe the rest are franchisees? They do all the training etc at the Montpelier one, go there if possible.

It’s always immaculate too, even though it gets very busy.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Can't be bothered to read through the thread. The answer is and has been since the mid 70s - Uncle Sams. Also best burger in Worthing, Shoreham and anywhere else in the country they have a branch. Unfortunately in Walthamstow I have to rely on 5 Guys.

Jul 7, 2003
Sounds like I’m shilling for Uncle Sam’s but they’re a bit of an institution IMHO. Their chili cheese burger as a kid was absolutely to die for. I had one again (this time a double) a few months for the first time in a while and it was identical. The taste of my childhood birthday’s/special treats exactly as it was back then,

New staff, different suppliers etc but that classic Uncle Sam’s taste. I like Grubbs too (and the classic A23 meat out of a van - is he still with us?) but Uncle Sam’s was always special.

The one on Montpelier is the original store, and I believe the rest are franchisees? They do all the training etc at the Montpelier one, go there if possible.

The franchises are very hit and miss. Broadwater used to be okay but was pretty poor last time I tried. Durrington one has never been good. However, Burgess Hill was consistently good and even though it has changed hands, the new guys really seem to take care.

Still to try Beef Guy in Worthing as he is only open until 6pm but have heard that they are good if expensive.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

Although the burgers are the same, the chips at the Carden Ave Uncles Sams are different to the ones in the Woodingdean branch.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
Oct 17, 2008
The franchises are very hit and miss. Broadwater used to be okay but was pretty poor last time I tried. Durrington one has never been good. However, Burgess Hill was consistently good and even though it has changed hands, the new guys really seem to take care.

Still to try Beef Guy in Worthing as he is only open until 6pm but have heard that they are good if expensive.
Thanks for the heads up. Must admit I stick to Montpelier as I’ve never once ever had a bad one from there. Carden Ave is generally good, but a couple of not great ones over the years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
for me, its the dead hippie burger at MEATliquor. absolutely exemplary. Five guys are good, Grubbs is good, Uncle Sam's is decent, but MEATliquor is the zenith.
I tired meatliquor after a recommendation and wasn't impressed. Didn't think it was as good as 5 guys.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
If you can't be bothered to read the thread, then I have to question whether you've been bothered to try many different burgers to compare to your favourite.
I've lived in London for the last 22 years and there is no Uncle Sams up here, so I have tried many, many burgers. Whilst out of touch with Brighton's current selection, most of the chains and gourmet burgers are found up here in the North. Even had a Wimpy in Worthing last year!

birthofanorange

Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Grubbs or Uncle Sams for me, although I used to enjoy them from the long-defunct Scoffs (Portland Road), after a snooker session at The Portland pub.
That said, I once (foolishly) tried a Scoffs 'fire burger' - one bite and the rest had to go in the bin. Never had anything hotter than that and my mouth was burning for what seemed an eternity.
I stick to blue cheese, now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here