Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul McCarthy RIP

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just remembered going to watch him play for Rep of Ireland under 21s v England under 21's at Griffin Park, Brentford. I only went to see Paul McCarthy although as I recall Roy Keane also played in that match.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
I do remember whilst in the North stand we were all singing ' If you hate Bellotti clap your hands' the players were just about to start and whilst stretching Paul was bent down and clapped his hands always remember that.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
RIP Paul McCarthy.
Souldnt be happening to players younger than me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shocking.

Brighton and Hove Albion's DNA seems to be based on centre backs who are a class above the rest of the team.
No matter what the strengths or weaknesses are around them, we 'do' centre backs.

Those older than me can go further back than Mark Lawrenson, but he is just about my starting point, for an incredibly long list that's as relevant today as it has ever been.

Paul was a class apart for the Albion, and in my mind at least, has always been one of the best, in a position which we have been spoiled rotten, for the best part of 40 years.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Also just remembered that we both learnt to drive at the same firm at the same time, and he passed his test an hour before me. RIP

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sad news...and you feel for his wife and children who must be devestated.
for NSC he'll live long in the memory of what he did on the pitch RIP

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Sad news, as others have said one of the few shining lights during 'that' period. Always gave everything on the pitch and just a surprise he didn't move on to bigger things.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
An absolute tradgedy. Sincere condolences to his family. Hope the club & Wycombe can make appropriate gestures.

Yoda

English & European
All the recent celebrity deaths over the last 2 years combined haven't moved me as much as upon hearing this news. Was part of the Brighton team when I first started watching us and was surprised he never played in the top flight he was that comfortable in what he did on the pitch (Although he nearly made it with us). Gennually shocked and saddened.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
45? No age to go. Sad news.

My thoughts go out to all those close to him.

D-rod

Apr 1, 2014
Paul was my brother in law , the whole family is devastated , all my thoughts are with my sister and their four young girls at this extremely sad time. He was a brilliant servant to Brighton , coming over from Cork at a very young age , and making his way to through to the 1st team , he had a long career with Brighton , Wycombe , Oxford and then finally at Ebbsfleet.
Away from football he was great company and anyone who met him , or had a beer with would only have good words to say ,
On behalf of his family I would like to thank everyone for their kind words

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Don't forget that as well as playing in the tough times he also gave us some great memories, the run to the 1991 playoff final, and the 2-2 draw at Anfield, when it was a foul on him that gave us the penalty that put us back in the game. RIP an Albion great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here