Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul McCarthy RIP

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whole of the 1993/94 season

Starts at 51 minutes BHA v Bournemouth

It would be a nice touch if that or one of his other goals could be edited in the 'Stoorrrreeerrrrr' montage.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
R.I.P Paul.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Can't quite believe it.

One of my mates at college thought he was incredible and was always singing his praises so I watched him at the Goldstone with him and he stood out as a commanding, fantastic footballer who the fans loved.

Incredibly sad at such a young age. :down:

Rest in peace, Paul.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He played in a side which- let's be honest here- was in the midst of a sad decline, with few memorable individuals, or at least, not ones who were memorable for the right reasons.

Paul McCarthy always came across as a total one-hundred-percenter, who'd throw his body in the way of anything, which wasn't always apparent with some other players, and the Albion crowd loved him for it. I seem to recall him starting out as the junior partner in the centre half pairing with Steve Foster, but eventually it was him carrying Foster through games, covering for the old man's lack of pace. They made a great team.

He had plenty of promise and must have caught the eye of bigger clubs at some stage. My Dad worked for Barclays during the period when they sponsored the Football League (pre-Premier League days of course) and they used to have a Young Eagle of the Month trophy which was awarded to an up & coming young player each month of the season. Paul McCarthy won it one month, which felt like quite an honour in itself, bearing in mind how crap the Albion were becoming back then. The branch where Dad worked asked him if he'd like to present the trophy, knowing he was a big Albion fan, and so we ended up in the players tunnel at the Goldstone before a home game, waiting for the team to come out. I'm guessing I'd have been around fourteen (maybe?) at the time, so it was all very exciting. All I can recall is that Paul McCarthy was very smiley, and also- to my young eyes- physically an absolute giant :)

He was one of those guys who you're sorry to see leave your club, and whom you keep an eye out for afterwards. I'm glad he had such a positive impact at Wycombe as well as here.

Awful times for his family. I hope it will eventually be the smallest crumb of comfort to them to see how well he was regarded by us, and, it seems, by every club he played for.

So Sad to hear this news and so young. He really was a great defender for our club during our troubled period. Will never forget a cold tuesday night at Grimsby in 92 and at the end of the game (after we won 1-0), he came over to us and fist pumped the 'come on'. Sheer determination in his whole body to salvage something from that woeful season.

RIP Paul and our thoughts and prayers are with your family. You will never be forgotten

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Really really sad and shocked to hear of this news. Paul was a really fantastic player who stood out in such generally bad times for the team.
Always gave it 100% and we loved him!
Terrible shock to lose him at such a young age and my heart goes out to his family.
A big loss to the wider Albion family too.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
RIP Paul

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
Very upsetting news, and thoughts go out to his family.

One of my favourite players at the time. He was an immense figure in the back four, and genuinely seemed to care for the club - I remember reading about how distraught he was after the handball vs. Bolton in the FA Cup in 92. Tough season that, but Paul was one of the bright spots. As he was again in 92/93. RIP Paul.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Very upsetting news, and thoughts go out to his family.

One of my favourite players at the time. He was an immense figure in the back four, and genuinely seemed to care for the club - I remember reading about how distraught he was after the handball vs. Bolton in the FA Cup in 92. Tough season that, but Paul was one of the bright spots. As he was again in 92/93. RIP Paul.

Remember that game well. We were in the stand and were getting frustrated with John Robinson. The bloke in front of was getting a bit annoyed and when he turned round we saw why. Rather large chin similar to John Robinson's!!!!

As for Paul McCarthy, the fact that he spent 7 years with us and then the same with Wycombe shows the sort of loyalty he had to clubs and fans. Great example for youngsters today.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Remember that game well.

Ah, the infamous FA Cup handball game up at Bolton 25 years ago! When we first met, ten plus years ago, it was my opening line to him at parent's evening! As in 'you idiot, I travelled hundreds of miles to watch you give away a ridiculous penalty"!!! He told me he's lost count of the amount of fans who'd chastised him about that particular incident over the years!!

RIP Paul, I know your passing has affected an awful lot of people in the local area (Crowborough) and you will be sadly missed. Will think of you a lot on Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here