glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
truly one of us
RIP PAUL

D

Deleted member 2719

Although I never knew Paul as a person, the way he led the Albion with strength and commitment made him a player that was a 100 percenter, I will never forget him.

Condolences to all his friends and family, as this must shocking news.:down:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Oxford Mail reporting, Paul McCarthys passing.

6018885.jpg

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1...ke_glowing_tribute_to__leader__Paul_McCarthy/

FORMER Oxford United teammates have led the tributes to Paul McCarthy as an incredible man who was a leader on an off the pitch.

The defender died yesterday aged 45 of what has been reported as a heart attack.

McCarthy made 35 appearances for United between March 2003 and May 2004.

Steve Basham, who shared a dressing room with him, said: "As a man he was incredible.

"He was someone you could always go to if you needed someone to talk to and as one of the more experienced players he always took time to help the younger players.

He was a leader off the pitch as well as on it and had really high standards.

"It's absolutely shocking news and my thoughts are with his family."

Scott McNiven said: "Paul was hard as nails on the pitch and one of the loveliest blokes off it.

"He couldn't do enough for you.

"We had a lot of characters in that Oxford squad but he settled in straight away and was part of the family.

"He was much loved in the changing room.

"It's really hard news to swallow, it's only a couple of years since I was on the touchline with him when I was at Hyde and he was coaching with Ebbsfleet.

"We had some great banter, you never think you would lose someone so young."

McCarthy joined the U's from Wycombe Wanderers, where he had been part of the side which reached the 2001 FA Cup semi-final.

Initially arriving on a loan deal in March 2003, the centre back signed a permanent deal that summer.

Ian Atkins signed McCarthy for United and told the club's website: "I had about 15 diamonds there
at Oxford, great lads who were a pleasure to work with and all stuck closely together, but he was one of the ones that shone the brightest.

"He was a natural leader and had a great football brain.

"Sometimes I'd just look his way on the pitch and he would know what I was thinking and get the message across to the other players for me."

McCarthy went on to enjoy success after leaving United and he captained Ebbsfleet United to FA Trophy success in 2008.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
As all post have already said, absolutely tragic news. Such a good player in mediocre times and by all accounts a nice man.

It has certainly put into perspective a loss to Huddersfield or a draw to Ipswich to me!

Let's go get promotion for Paul!

Rip Paul #together
IMG_1815.JPG

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
So very sad.

RIP Paul:angel:

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Very sad news - RIP Paul. Thoughts are with his young family. Am going to Forest with a bunch of my mates I used to go with back when he was playing for us. Having read on this thread that he was going to the game, we will raise our glasses to him.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He always seemed to have a smile on his face and looked like he enjoyed every game he played, a complete contrast in personality to a certain Joey Barton.

The saying 'the devil looks after his own' springs to mind .RIP Paul

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
So very sad. I used to teach his daughters and whenever I met Paul and his wife at parent's evenings/sports events they seemed like thoroughly nice people.
My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
RIP Paul a great servant during difficult times at the albion

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A quality strong-hearted defender on the field, a great guy off it by all accounts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here